CFB 2020 Discussion: temperature checks at the gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
@COTUR1@43 @rocketskates Honestly not a bad hire considering the circumstances. UCF regressed each year though after Frost left.
Sadly, it is where UT Football is at this point on attracting a HC. The looming sanctions and scholarship limits didn't help either. At least he is known for an up tempo offense that may attract recruits on that side of the ball. I think he is at least an solid upgrade from Pruitt.

Probably a better coach than Pruitt but I doubt he makes it 3 years. He’s not the most personable guy and the minute he loses a few people will turn on him quick. Just too soon for such a job.

Vols have become a nice farm team for OU btw lol

I do feel bad for the Madden NCAA guys though. All that hard work over the past couple of years (since EA started releasing Madden on PC again) and now no one will care.

So I can finally move on from emulating NCAA 02.
It's EA though, they'll find a way to fuck it up.

They'll claim they're bringing in a deep dynasty mode but won't have basic shit like recruit visits that even emulators have and will limit it to pressing 'A' or 'X' a bunch of times to use up points to get a kid's 40 time and shit.

They'll skimp on Mascot Mode, BUT, they'll have stupid shit like the U turnover chain and a button for when you play as WSU to "Coug It".

Probably a better coach than Pruitt but I doubt he makes it 3 years. He’s not the most personable guy and the minute he loses a few people will turn on him quick. Just too soon for such a job.

But your boy Lincoln Riley was ready for the OU HC job with never having been a head coach...
<LikeReally5>

Believe it or not, we still have college football...FCS spring games:
Saturday, February 20
Matchup Time (ET) TV/Mobile Tickets
Morehead State at James Madison 12:00pm NBCSW / FloFootball
Mercer at Wofford 1:00pm ESPN+
Samford at ETSU 1:00pm ESPN+/Nexstar
Southern Illinois at North Dakota 1:00pm ESPN+/MidCoSN
Davidson at Elon 1:30pm My48 / FloFootball
Western Carolina at Furman 2:00pm ESPN+
VMI at Chattanooga Postponed

But your boy Lincoln Riley was ready for the OU HC job with never having been a head coach...
<LikeReally5>
It’s not exactly usual that such a transition works out so well.

Riley is a QB guru and spent 3 years learning how to be a HC under a future hall of famer. He also had a track record of success everywhere he’d been.

<LikeReally5>

It’s not exactly usual that such a transition works out so well.

It's not that unusual. Just look at Dabo, Ryan Day, Kyle Wittingham, and David Shaw. Most of the best hires tend to be institutional. Kirby Smart and Brian Kelly are the rare coaches who are considered elite that were outside hires. You could add Jimbo if he continues what he did this past season, but originally he was an institutional hire at FSU. Saban was already considered elite by college standards when Bama got him. Same as Urban when Ohio State got him.

It's not that unusual. Just look at Dabo, Ryan Day, Kyle Wittingham, and David Shaw. Most of the best hires tend to be institutional. .

giphy.gif

Feels like they've gotten away from their formula that was working in the early part of the decade. Was Drevno a big part of that success?

Ya, Drevno drove the physical culture. Pep Hamilton and Derek Mason played a large role in the success.

Shaw's in-game coaching is brutal and his play calling can be incredibly predictable. It was so bad at one point that McCaffrey almost quit the team because they were running him straight into 10 in the box, play after play. it was brutal to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back