Chael Sonnen almost beat prime Anderson Silva

He was the closest to a clear cut decision over a champion …but Anderson is the clutch god

Fixed your title TS "Anderson Silva Finished Chael Sonnen Twice"

Btw, why wasn't he caught for PEDs before the fight? Why after? Did he take it within 24 hours?

They were both roided to the gills.

Yeah, Chael choked at the last minute, should have been watching for it too. It was Silva's only chance. Big fail.

One of the best fights of all time, this is the one fight where watching it live is better than a rewatch, at the time, Andy was unbeatable, no one in the UFC came close to beating him, Sonnen hit him more times than anyone else did combined, and everyone hated Andy cus of the Maia fight b4 that one, and everyone thought Sonnen would get waxed quickly, me and my boys were on our feet the entire fight right when Sonnen dropped him but we all knew Andy would pull it out, Sonnen left himself open for a sub numerous times, Andy did a great job adjusting to him in the 2nd fight and used the fence to stop the TDs
yeah, the story of that fight really should be made into a movie.

Chael fought incredibly well against Silva. He just happened to be across the cage from one of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport. No shame in either of their performances.

AS, watch him in the walk to the cage...he is noticeably different. I remember seeing that live for the fight. AS never mentioned it till much later but I believe he said he had a cracked rib and was sick ...something like that. But, the rematch was night and day. I think Chael was lucky under circumstance in the first fight.

Yet he kinda sucks in that he's a choker in big fights.

Do you attribute this to psychology, bad luck, or lack of athleticism?
The fact that it was even close can be contributed to the PEDs Shale was taking

But he did choke in this fight, the biggest of his career.

He was roided with the T levels of 14 sherdoggers combined and still found a way to lose to an injured, old man.

He was on every steroid, ever at once.
1) No hard evidence that Anderson was injured
2) Anderson may have been doing PEDs then as well. He wasn't caught during that fight, but that doesn't mean he wasn't just smarter about it than Chael was
3) Anderson was hardly an "old man" back then. He's only 2 years older than Chael and both started fighting in 1997, so their wear was similar. Anderson went on to defend his belt 4 more times after that fight.

Anderson was clearly off in that fight. He was very stiff and much slower than his usual self. After the fight he claimed that he had an injured rib but didn't pulled out of the fight because he felt that he could beat Chael regardless.

Fighters like to make excuses for poor performances but it's beliavable that he was really injured. Chael was an mediocre striker with no punch power and yet he dropped Anderson and got the better of him multitple times. It was an very odd fight. I also think that the whole "Chael trash talk got into his head" is mostly nonsense.

I believe that their rematch was much more representative of their true level. Chael being the better wrestler getting the takedown early and Anderson being the far superior striker making Chael embaress himself with his spinning shit.

Chael Sonnen has never lost a fight
Not in the streets
Not in the Octagon
Not in the lab
and not in the court
Undefeated

None of this matters because chael was on the juice and Anderson completely embarrassed him in the rematch

He got swept and subbed by Maia too, and Maia is not wrestler at all. Maia couldn't take down Anderson Silva a single time.
That wasn't a sweep, so much as a fucking spectacular lateral drop straight into mount.

First, Chael is a choke artist who finds a way to fall into submissions. He saw a sports psychologist about it after the Anderson fight.
Second, everyone seems to forget the sneaky power Anderson had off of his back. He saw an opening and pulled Chael's head into a nasty shot from the bottom that rocked him. It's the same thing he did to Lutter.

Back