Champs that never had the chance of a rematch

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I can see how great champions sometimes they get the rematches they deserve and they get that win back such as:

-Stipe Miocic, he got immediate rematch against DC
-Amanda Nunes, she got an immediate rematch against Peña
-Anderson Silva, immediate rematch with Weidman
-Max Holloway, immediate rematch with Volkanovski
-GSP got his rematch later on against Serra
-Usman, I'm pretty sure theyre gonna give him an immediate rematch.
Etc etc etc

But what about the champs that never had a chance for a rematch they deserved?

The first one that comes to my mind ofc is absolutely Jose Aldo, 10 years undefeated and Mcgregor gets a lucky shot in like 5 seconds and he never got the oportunity for a rematch.

Cris Cyborg, 13 years undefeated and never got the oportunity for a rematch against Nunes.

DJ, #1 p4p, 14 wins in a row incluiding a win by finish against Cejudo then lost by a controversial split decision and never again a rematch.

Ronda Rousey, idk what happened back then but I wonder why Dana White didnt give her a immediate rematch against Holly.

That's so unfortunate because -other than Rousey- I feel all of them would had won a rematch. That sucks for their careers tbh and its unfair

I can see how great champions sometimes they get the rematches they deserve and they get that win back such as:

-Stipe Miocic, he got immediate rematch against DC
-Amanda Nunes, she got an immediate rematch against Peña
-Anderson Silva, immediate rematch with Weidman
-Max Holloway, immediate rematch with Volkanovski
-GSP got his rematch later on against Serra
-Usman, I'm pretty sure theyre gonna give him an immediate rematch.
Etc etc etc

But what about the champs that never had a chance for a rematch they deserved?

The first one that comes to my mind ofc is absolutely Jose Aldo, 10 years undefeated and Mcgregor gets a lucky shot in like 5 seconds and he never got the oportunity for a rematch.

Cris Cyborg, 13 years undefeated and never got the oportunity for a rematch against Nunes.

DJ, #1 p4p, 14 wins in a row incluiding a win by finish against Cejudo then lost by a controversial split decision and never again a rematch.

Ronda Rousey, idk what happened back then but I wonder why Dana White didnt give her a immediate rematch against Holly.

That's so unfortunate because -other than Rousey- I feel all of them would had won a rematch. That sucks for their careers tbh and its unfair

Bruh I'm tired of the line 'Aldo never got a rematch with Conor'. Sure it was short notice but he was absolutely offered a rematch and turned it down.

Aldo didn't get a rematch against Conor because Conor left the weight class after winning the belt. Imo he should have probably been stripped way before he actually was because he never seemed ready to defend the belt in the first place. Seemed like the plan for him was to fight in lw from then on out but out of nowhere he actually got the Floyd boxing payday and he's been kinda irrelevant to actual divisional rankings ever since.

Given the numerous flimsy claims that have gotten immediate rematches, Aldo not getting one was the most egregious. McGregor jumping up weight classes right into a title shot immediately after was an opportunity afforded to nobody else. Then after losing to Diaz still not giving him the rematch. Shame Aldo never got the opportunity for redemption of his most embarrassing loss.

woodley

Also on GSP, he wasn't deserving of a rematch so it's no wonder he didn't get one. he had to earn it.

Given the numerous flimsy claims that have gotten immediate rematches, Aldo not getting one was the most egregious. McGregor jumping up weight classes right into a title shot immediately after was an opportunity afforded to nobody else. Then after losing to Diaz still not giving him the rematch. Shame Aldo never got the opportunity for redemption of his most embarrassing loss.

Don't feel bad for aldo. He pulled out of over half of his title fights and pulled out of the mcgregor fight on a weeks notice.

Aldo's next fight was for the title against frankie. it's not like he outright didn't get a title fight in his next fight (like woodley). Aldo having 2 belts would have been awful for business as he could barely fight once a year with just one UFC title. Ronda rousey has as many ufc title wins as aldo in a much shorter amount of time. When Conor beat aldo he was one of the most active stars in the sport. It's no wonder he was afforded an opportunity most fighters don't get.

Bruh I'm tired of the line 'Aldo never got a rematch with Conor'. Sure it was short notice but he was absolutely offered a rematch and turned it down.

This too, Especially after his anywhere anytime talk.

Last edited:

They definitely tried, but Ronda was broken and not returning calls for a long time. They also tried after Miesha got the belt but same outcome.

If I remember correctly Aldo was offered the rematch even by Conor but his team thought it was too soon, and Conor soon after vacated 145.

Aldo was literally offered a rematch when RDA pulled out and turned it down despite saying he'd accept one anywhere, anytime, any weight, any title implications or not.

He then was offered an interim title shot to secure another rematch and won it. Then McGregor won the LW belt, DC decided to hide an injury until the last moment and pulled out of a PPV last second, and the UFC had to either strip Conor and promote Aldo or strip Aldo of his interim belt to avoid making an interim interim FW belt in Holloway/Max. They chose the first, which eliminated any chances of a rematch as Conor had no reason to return to FW now and Aldo had to defend against Holloway, which he lost. And it was obviously the correct choice as otherwise you'd all just instead bitch they'd stripped Aldo.

One of the most made up controversies of all time, by people who are just salty that Aldo stood and traded with Conor and got KO'd for it instead of doing their fantasy scenarios of "Mythical Leg Kicking and Grappling Aldo" who hasn't existed in a decade.

If I remember correctly Aldo was offered the rematch even by Conor but his team thought it was too soon, and Conor soon after vacated 145.

I don't think McGregor was making 145 again after that. The cut was killing him and he started angling for the LW title fight against RDA.

Also remember McGregor saying that x2 world tours promoting a fight that lasted 13 seconds meant he wasn't interested in doing it straight away

The Stipe rematch was so bad. No heavyweight champion has deserved one so far.

They definitely tried, but Ronda was broken and not returning calls for a long time. They also tried after Miesha got the belt but same outcome.

Fr? I saw this interview where she was saying she wanted to be the one to beat Holly. Miesha vs Tate was already booked and she said she wanted Holly to beat Miesha so shw could face Holly again

Min 5:20

Aldo didn't get a rematch against Conor because Conor left the weight class after winning the belt. Imo he should have probably been stripped way before he actually was because he never seemed ready to defend the belt in the first place. Seemed like the plan for him was to fight in lw from then on out but out of nowhere he actually got the Floyd boxing payday and he's been kinda irrelevant to actual divisional rankings ever since.

Why would Conor have been stripped before? It hadn't even been a year when everything went down.

People forget literally the only reason he was ever stripped of the FW belt was because DC hid an injury he'd known for weeks he had and instead pulled out last minute, forcing the UFC into the awkward position of needing to make Holloway/Pettis a title fight to save the PPV. And they already had an undisputed champ in Conor and an interim champ in Aldo. They couldn't make an interim interim champ. They either had to strip Conor and promote Aldo to undisputed, or strip Aldo of his interim to clear the way for a new interim belt being possible. They chose the former as it made the most sense given Conor's 2nd LW belt, and everybody would've bitched even worse if they'd chosen the latter and stripped Aldo instead.

I'm not saying they'd have let Conor just hold onto his FW belt as long as they let him hold the LW belt in between the Floyd fight and everything, but he was only ever stripped because of this unique scenario. It was entirely because they couldn't make an interim interim belt and had to strip either Conor or Aldo to save their PPV. Not because the UFC had felt he'd been away from FW too long, or Conor had no intentions of defending. We have no idea what would have happened had DC just pulled out when he first injured himself and left the UFC with plenty of time to find a new main event. Hell, maybe they make Conor/Aldo II for it.

After that everything else became irrelevant.

I'll never stop pointing out that the punch that Aldo landed while falling forward from being KO'd opened a nice cut on Conor's right eye.

That said, while he obviously should've won, he seemed shook for some time after that fight.

Was also offered a rematch at some point.
Aldo turned it down.

Back