Cheapest source of protein?

As above, dry legumes are generally going to be the cheapest protein per kg.

But what I don't see mentioned is that there are some great cuts of meat that are still super affordable too.

Gymrats love that boneless chicken breast, but it's much higher priced than bone in cuts and dark meat.

Thighs, wings, and whole bird can end up being much cheaper by the pound. If you know how to cook you can do a lot with a whole bird by breaking it down.

Eggs.
Tinned fish like mackeral/sardines which are really cheap then tuna which is a bit more expensive.
Frozen basa fish is good value (basically cheap cod alternative).
Frozen prawns/shrimp.
Skimmed milk.
Protein powder (which is perfectly healthy don't believe the bullshit).

Ultimately though if you want good results you are going to have to put in some money. I only eat meat from the butcher now as opposed to cheap supermarket/frozen stuff and it definitely makes a difference. Red meat all the way especially wild/game meats if possible (I eat a lot of venison and rabbit).

Frozen prawns/shrimp definitely not best value unless you live by the coast. If you're really hurting you'd go for spam, eggs, and tuna.

Try eggs, they are one the best source of protein and cheap at the same time

Pasteurized egg whites, you can just drink it and it's super easy way to get another 50 to 100 grams of quality protein a day. 32oz bottle costs around 3.5-4.5 bucks and has 300grams of protein. 3rd of its weight is protein. Its pasteurized so its safe to drink. Downsides has the texture of jizz. But you can also cook it. So for less then 5 dollars you can get extra 50g of protein a day for a week. And its not a lot of food to eat, because every 15grams of pasteurized egg whites is 5 grams of casein protein.
My bulking on a budget is usually cheap ground beef, pasteurized egg whites, and a whey protein shake, for the protein. For carbs it's rice, potatoes, grits. Something easily digestible. Take in some good fats, I usually do fish oil and mct oil. Take in plenty of iodized salt with the beef. Some salt pills with your water. If salt doesn't raise your blood pressure, you should be consuming 3-8grams per gallon of water.

Last edited:
Pasteurized egg whites, you can just drink it and it's super easy way to get another 50 to 100 grams of quality protein a day. 32oz bottle costs around 3.5-4.5 bucks and has 300grams of protein. 3rd of its weight is protein. Its pasteurized so its safe to drink. Downsides has the texture of jizz. But you can also cook it. So for less then 5 dollars you can get extra 50g of protein a day for a week. And its not a lot of food to eat, because every 15grams of pasteurized egg whites is 5 grams of casein protein.
My bulking on a budget is usually cheap ground beef, pasteurized egg whites, and a whey protein shake, for the protein. For carbs it's rice, potatoes, grits. Something easily digestible. Take in some good fats, I usually do fish oil and mct oil. Take in plenty of iodized salt with the beef. Some salt pills with your water. If salt doesn't raise your blood pressure, you should be consuming 3-8grams per gallon of water.
Any idea how much protein is actually bio-available from *RAW UNCOOKED Pasteurized Egg Whites? Anyone?
EDITTED-*

Last edited:
It looks like chickpeas are the cheapest source of protein, though I'm not sure if I ever had chickpeas before lol.

Any suggestions for cheapest source of protein in your own experience? Thanks!

I'm sure you appreciate the answers given here but isn't it a fairly simple thing to just do the math? Especially now that you have some ideas presented to you. I'd suggest just do the math to figure out how much protein you are getting for a dollar for the things you know you like or suspect you might be inclined to use. Then consider the other factors like the other macros content, ease of preparing etc.

FWIW I use a high quality whey isolate that costs me 3.1 cents per gram of protein. So 93 cents for a 30g serving with o fat and >0.5g carb. That's including shipping and in Canadian funds, I'll assume there are similar deals in many places around the globe.

Any idea how much protein is actually bio-available from Pasteurized Egg Whites? Anyone?
According to the interwebz it's close to 100percent bioavailability when cooked. Just drinking them at lowest it's 50percent, however there is some studies pointing that is bullshit and bioavailability is much higher. I like mine cooked for a short while. Throw a lil hot sauce on there and I could eat pounds of it.

Last edited:
According to the interwebz it's close to 100percent bioavailability when cooked. Just drinking them at lowest it's 50percent, however there is some studies pointing that is bullshit and bioavailability is much higher. I like mine cooked for a short while. Throw a lil hot sauce on there and I could eat pounds of it.

Oshit, sorry, I meant in it's raw state like when drank from the container. Like yourself I have heard a wide range of numbers for raw. Never seen a solid study on it though, always some issue tainting them.
Thanks.

Oshit, sorry, I meant in it's raw state like when drank from the container. Like yourself I have heard a wide range of numbers for raw. Never seen a solid study on it though, always some issue tainting them.
Thanks.
As far as I know the whole 50 percent raw and 90percent cooked seems to be stemming from one study in 1998 where the "measured" the bioavailability a certain way. Other studies disputed this but it just became generally accepted as the truth in bodybuilding circles. I mostly cook mine now but did in fact exclusively drink them too (when I didn't have the same apatite I have now). In my experience it's fine, I certainly felt that drinking pasteurized egg whites 50grams per day did more for me then drinking 100grams of protein powders. Try it yourself and see how you do, start with less then a cup a day and go from there.

Last edited:
I believe a 32oz bottle of egg whites has a little over 100 grams of protein. Still a good source but your maths/price-per-gram is way off (they're a little over 10% protein by weight, not 1/3rd).

I believe a 32oz bottle of egg whites has a little over 100 grams of protein. Still a good source but your maths/price-per-gram is way off (they're a little over 10% protein by weight, not 1/3rd).
True I'm retarded.

Winstrol and Test E. Then you can eat all protein which see.
Man I miss the pharma grade shit I could buy in a pharmacy in Kosovo while on Camp Bondsteel. No black market stuff that I seen here in the states even touches it.

Nutricost Whey Protein Isolate (Unflavored) 5LBS on Amazon.

you can get a 5lb tub of isolate for $45. Here comes the “JuSt EaT FOod” crowd” that trains never late. If you work offshore like me or been in the military you’re at the mercy of whatever they cook in the kitchen. So this is my go to esp, if you don’t feel like shoveling down food at all hours.

same applies to greens I know I don’t get enough veggies so I take simple greens, just mix it and slam it (taste like shit). I’m not saying don’t eat foods high in proteins, but a lot of times there isn’t an option too.

Great answer.

Back