Cheating in Fishing

Saw the videos and what jumped out to me is the way the fish are treated. Not sure how a tournament on that scale isn’t catch and release.

but on to the cheaters, they should do time and never get a fishing license in any state or country again.

Saw the videos and what jumped out to me is the way the fish are treated. Not sure how a tournament on that scale isn’t catch and release.

but on to the cheaters, they should do time and never get a fishing license in any state or country again.

You need a license to fish?

Walleye have always first and foremost been an “eating” fish. They don’t have the “sport fish only” stature like largemouth bass, where the tournaments are all catch and release. So while some walleye tournaments are catch and release, many of them give the anglers the option to take the fish home to eat. The odd part is that the fish aren’t checked with a metal detector. Adding weights has been going on since tournaments have been a thing.

You need a license to fish?
Nearly every state has some sort of license requirement. License sales generate about $1 billion/year that goes directly to fish and wildlife conservation amd habitat restoration. At least its supposed to. Some states have found sneaky ways to “steal” that money for other departments.

Walleye have always first and foremost been an “eating” fish. They don’t have the “sport fish only” stature like largemouth bass, where the tournaments are all catch and release. So while some walleye tournaments are catch and release, many of them give the anglers the option to take the fish home to eat. The odd part is that the fish aren’t checked with a metal detector. Adding weights has been going on since tournaments have been a thing.
I’ve seen catch and release tourneys here. I think it’s irresponsible to take out so many large breeders. Lake Erie is a good fishery, but imo, all tourneys should be catch and release. Conservation should be paramount. But hey, what do I know.

I’ve seen catch and release tourneys here. I think it’s irresponsible to take out so many large breeders. Lake Erie is a good fishery, but imo, all tourneys should be catch and release. Conservation should be paramount. But hey, what do I know.
The tournments follow the laws and rules of the state and water they are fishing in. So its the state biologists that determine if the fishery can handle x amount of fish being taken. Take some of the fish is usually paramount to a health fishery. Catch and release only usually leads to overpopulation.

Nearly every state has some sort of license requirement. License sales generate about $1 billion/year that goes directly to fish and wildlife conservation amd habitat restoration. At least its supposed to. Some states have found sneaky ways to “steal” that money for other departments.

In my part of the world, you don't need a license unless you're doing it commercially. There are daily catch and size limits though. A officer still has to catch you but those limits are in place. The culture here though is, catch what you'll eat.

I used to bank a company that ran fishing competitions so I know they exist. Not sure if they're catch and release. (I doubt it to be honest). I don't have a problem with it though as long as nothing goes to waste.

Back