Cheyanne Buys: “I’ve been so broke my whole life because of this sport!”

MMA is a side hustle until you make it to the big leagues.

Plenty of ranked UFC fighters held side jobs throughout their time. It’s not fair but life’s not fair.

BJ came from a wealthy family and that probably helped him progress early in his career.

Bad example

This is her second fight in the UFC. The first one she won

She was broke because of fighting on the regional scene

A better example would be a UFC vet who has racked a lot fans/wins and is still broke
I would wager most of the women are closer to being broke. Getting rich in the UFC is a pipe dream.

Bad example

This is her second fight in the UFC. The first one she won

She was broke because of fighting on the regional scene

I agree, it is all but impossible to make a living on the regional scene which is why some people coming into UFC have been fighting so regularly. The low pay just means you have to fight more.

But to be fair 10K + 10K for win for the co-main event is pretty pathetic. That is like 2 months pay for a decent paying job and you have all the extra costs with being a fighter like paying for camp. If she does the standard UFC fight twice a year that is only 40K a year. Not enough to live on let alone set yourself up for a life outside of fighting.

She's a great lady, hard-working, legit, dedicated to the sport, that 50k couldn't have gone to a more deserving fighter.

Very happy for her.
Makes a huge difference to her life right now and that will just spur her on to greater things.

At her level or even higher she probably should be having a day job.
I agree, it is all but impossible to make a living on the regional scene which is why some people coming into UFC have been fighting so regularly. The low pay just means you have to fight more.

But to be fair 10K + 10K for win for the co-main event is pretty pathetic. That is like 2 months pay for a decent paying job and you have all the extra costs with being a fighter like paying for camp. If she does the standard UFC fight twice a year that is only 40K a year. Not enough to live on let alone set yourself up for a life outside of fighting.
Its LOW for a co-main but at the same time, why is she getting that spot? Its her 2nd UFC fight and she was 0-1 in the promotion fighting another unknown fighter, its low but at the same time, she didnt really deserved a whole lot more going into this fight.

I don't see an issue here. She was 4-1 in her last fight before losing. She got 12k in that fight.

They rewarded her this time around for a finish against another random prospect.

To put it in to prospective the UFC paid Conor 12k to show and 12k to win in his 2nd fight and conor was definitely more accomplished than this lady.

Last edited:
Now she could actually Cheyenne buys things now!
giphy.webp

UFC Minimum is 12k not 10k and they also get additional 4K from Venum. And UFC contracts guarantee 3 fight offers a year not 2

Minimum would be 48k that assumes she loses all her fights. She could make 84,000 if she is able to win all her fights plus bonuses

At her level or even higher she probably should be having a day job.

Its LOW for a co-main but at the same time, why is she getting that spot? Its her 2nd UFC fight and she was 0-1 in the promotion fighting another unknown fighter, its low but at the same time, she didnt really deserved a whole lot more going into this fight.

I didn't get why that fight wasn't buried in an undercard, but it wasn't. It was the co-main and that is what she got for it.

Back