Cheyanne Buys: “I’ve been so broke my whole life because of this sport!”

Lol this thread is full of people saying that she's complaining.

If they actually watched the video she literally says "but it's so worth it to me" right after the clickbait quote in the thread title.

She isn't complaining, she's talking about the reality of life as an up and coming MMA fighter.

People never watch the video/read the article they just look at the thread title and start jumping to conclusions

People never watch the video/read the article they just look at the thread title and start jumping to conclusions
That's not just a Sherdog problem either. It's pretty much everywhere on the internet. Read the headline and form an opinion. And headlines are often intentionally misleading.

I agree, it is all but impossible to make a living on the regional scene which is why some people coming into UFC have been fighting so regularly. The low pay just means you have to fight more.

But to be fair 10K + 10K for win for the co-main event is pretty pathetic. That is like 2 months pay for a decent paying job and you have all the extra costs with being a fighter like paying for camp. If she does the standard UFC fight twice a year that is only 40K a year. Not enough to live on let alone set yourself up for a life outside of fighting.
10k a month job danggggg you rich man

Just to recap; I understand her frustrations in this line of work. She probably hasn't been paid much in her previous organizations but the UFC has already paid her $62,000 between two fights. If she fights one more time this year and wins this could potentially push Buys over 100k.

For a person who barely has any accomplishments in MMA she's getting paid decent

Get that Only Fans Money.

If you have any kind of following and a pair of tits and an ass you can make bank.

I agree with what your saying but $20,000 every two months is a "decent paying job"? Lmao

Your kidding right.

Minimum wage is just scrapping 30k

Your kidding right.

Minimum wage is just scrapping 30k
He was implying $20,000 every two months, ($120,000 a year) was just "decent". You're doing very well for yourself if you're making that much.

He was implying $20,000 every two months, ($120,000 a year) was just "decent". You're doing very well for yourself if you're making that much.

I agree

That's not just a Sherdog problem either. It's pretty much everywhere on the internet. Read the headline and form an opinion. And headlines are often intentionally misleading.
One of the thousand unsolvable problems that come with technology<mma1>

Bad example

This is her second fight in the UFC. The first one she won

She was broke because of fighting on the regional scene

A better example would be a UFC vet who has racked a lot fans/wins and is still broke
Common man... She made it to the highest stage in this sport. And she competes in a dangerous sport. She shouldn't be broke. She should be making very decent living...

Common man... She made it to the highest stage in this sport. And she competes in a dangerous sport. She shouldn't be broke. She should be making very decent living...
The highest stage of the sport would be fighting for a title, not everyone in the UFC is gonna make 250k a fight

I didn’t say she should be broke. I was pointing out that this was a bad example because money problems aren’t because of UFC because this was her second fight in the company.

On the regional scene they pay fighters as low as a couple hundred bucks per fight. You look at a Bellator fight card there are guys making 2K per fight.

The UFC starts you at a 12k win/ show plus 4K Venum pay meaning she can make 16k-28k on one night.

Just by making it to the UFC her pay has gone up ten fold. However she only has one fight with company so she hasn’t been able to feel the benefits of the pay increase.

However the UFC guarantees 3 fight offers per year. So she can make anywhere between 48k and 84k. This is without a performance bonus or factoring in the she is in a 2 income household.

She lives in Las Vegas. I was stationed there at Nellis back when I was in the military. I made about 45k as senior airmen. Not only did I live very comfortably I partied, drank, and gambled almost every weekend and still had enough money to save up. Just be clear she has already made 94k this year alone and has opportunity to make 16k to 28k before the year is up— that’s not bad.

Even at the very minimum salary in which she loses all of her fights she will make enough to live comfortably. But if she wins those fights she has more than she needs to live well in Vegas.

Last edited:
That is 120K a year. You can barely afford to get a mortgage on a crappy house on that in Australia. I earned a similar amount in a mid level management role in a museum. In Sydney train drivers who do it full time earn over 100K. (Note: there is an exchange rate difference with the aussie dollar worth slightly less than the us dollar (about 75-85% depending on cycles).

Well make it 20K for 3 months. That would make your yearly 80K. The most she could realistically fight in a year is 3 times so that would be 60K.

I live in a stupidly expensive rural area just outside of three major towns here in Aus. You can still easily get a mortgage on a crappy house at here on 120k a year lol.

And our dollar hasn't been anywhere near 85% of the USD since around 2014. It mostly hangs around 75%, which is a massive difference. It's not slightly less than the USD at all lol.

Maybe don't go into MMA then.

I agree UFC should pay more. But unless you're a champ or a star, you ain't making much compared to other sports.

UFC pays the most out of any MMA org. Bellator prelims are paying less than a grand in some fights.

UFC pays the most in this sport. But simple math is, don't go into MMA because the pay is garbage.

Just for fun. SHL the Swedish pro hockey league that is one of the best leagues outside KHL.
The average salary is approx 110K Euro / year.

I feel for her, honestly - I do... But this is not the UFCs fault.

No one forced a gun to her head and told her to not make any money in order to be in the UFC. That was her choice.

Obviously I like many others wish the ufc would be more willing to share profit with fighters.. or at least let them have their own fucking sponsors.

They do have their own sponsors..
Just not during fight week.
PVZ made more from sponsors than from fighting in the UFC.
Joanna is signed by Puma.
Donald Cerrone list some of his sponsors on his web site
https://donaldcerrone.net/sponsors/

Germaine de Randamie isn't broke because she is a full time police officer.

This Olympic finalist isn't broke because he is a financial analist.
https://nl.linkedin.com/in/thom-de-boer

You can train at 6 am and 8 pm. In between, get a job.

I agree, it is all but impossible to make a living on the regional scene which is why some people coming into UFC have been fighting so regularly. The low pay just means you have to fight more.

But to be fair 10K + 10K for win for the co-main event is pretty pathetic. That is like 2 months pay for a decent paying job and you have all the extra costs with being a fighter like paying for camp. If she does the standard UFC fight twice a year that is only 40K a year. Not enough to live on let alone set yourself up for a life outside of fighting.
I agree with you that 10k/10k pay for the win is low, but that is certainly not 2 months pay for a “decent” job.

Making 20k in 2 months would put you at 120k annually which is almost good enough to make the top 10% of all wage earners in the US.

That converts to about 88,000 US dollars.
Average income here is like, less than $40,000 lol.
Between 40,000 and 60,000 USD would be a decent career here.

Either way, a UFC fighter should be making enough money for high level training, nutrition, supplements, and a decent quality of life imo. They make pennies.

That is really my point. Plus people complain there is no competition in certain divisions especially some WMMA but they aren't being paid enough to train to the level to make themselves competitive.

Back