Cheyanne Buys: “I’ve been so broke my whole life because of this sport!”

10k a month job danggggg you rich man

Not in Sydney Australia. I am comfortable but certainly not rich. I can't afford to live in the city and live in a suburb about 40 minutes from Sydney. That said housing prices here are out of control.

I live in a stupidly expensive rural area just outside of three major towns here in Aus. You can still easily get a mortgage on a crappy house at here on 120k a year lol.

And our dollar hasn't been anywhere near 85% of the USD since around 2014. It mostly hangs around 75%, which is a massive difference. It's not slightly less than the USD at all lol.

But employments prospects in a rural town are pretty limited. I would love to move away from Sydney but work keeps me closer :( Also living in Sydney is probably the most out of control housing market in Australia. Yeah I just guessed the exchange rate off the top of my ahead.

But employments prospects in a rural town are pretty limited. I would love to move away from Sydney but work keeps me closer :( Also living in Sydney is probably the most out of control housing market in Australia. Yeah I just guessed the exchange rate off the top of my ahead.

Rural is easy enough to get jobs in if you're a tradesman going to an area that still has its industry. The area I'm in is for the main coal mine of VIC. Places like that are expensive as shit, but always have lots of jobs.

But yeh, I wouldn't really move to a rural area hoping to easily find work without a trade. I gamble on MMA for a living though, so I don't worry about any sort of employment opportunities personally.

Your exchange rate guess was in the ball park though. It sticks around 77 cents to the dollar most of the time.

Rural is easy enough to get jobs in if you're a tradesman going to an area that still has its industry. The area I'm in is for the main coal mine of VIC. Places like that are expensive as shit, but always have lots of jobs.

But yeh, I wouldn't really move to a rural area hoping to easily find work without a trade. I gamble on MMA for a living though, so I don't worry about any sort of employment opportunities personally.

Your exchange rate guess was in the ball park though. It sticks around 77 cents to the dollar most of the time.

Yeah that kind of work definitely doesn't describe me! Definitely don't want to work in a coal mine!

Arlovsky wipes his ass with 10k +10k. His secret, you gotta get dirt on the baldfather if you wanna get paid.

Arlovsky wipes his ass with 10k +10k. His secret, you gotta get dirt on the baldfather if you wanna get paid.

Also being a former UFC Champ and 20 year vet and most wins in UFC HW history.

Also being a former UFC Champ and 20 year vet and most wins in UFC HW history.

Doesn’t explain why he wasn’t cut on a 5 loss streak or why the Reem and JDS are cut but he’s still banking.

You gotta get dirt or talk a ton of shit to get paid by the big red goof.

They do have their own sponsors..
Just not during fight week.
PVZ made more from sponsors than from fighting in the UFC.
Joanna is signed by Puma.
Donald Cerrone list some of his sponsors on his web site
https://donaldcerrone.net/sponsors/

Correct but these people fighting on the undercard would have made more money if they were on the shorts, correct? They arent stars like the ones you shared.

Last edited:
She has actually worked for rhe UFC for what 3 partial weeks now? And made close to 100k, what's the problem?

Seems like a common theme for UFC fighters to admit living broke. Not a good look.

She is hot, she could have found much better husband than JP Buys, he is not handsome, he is midget and if he is also poor wtf she was thinking by marrying to him?

Most of the folks making a decent living from MMA wear suits and ties and have never thrown a punch in their lives.

In 2 of her 3 fights she has looked like she belonged in the UFC. The other fight she just got stuck in a headlock and couldn't escape.

She's only had two fights in the UFC, so it would be half her fights she's looked like she doesn't belong, but I don't agree that she's looked like she belonged in even half because her opponent hasn't looked like she's belonged in 100% of her fights, so the jury is still out on whether or not Buys is even UFC caliber or not. And not being able to stop a basic schoolyard headlock three rounds straight against another fighter who also hasn't proven they belong in the UFC is a pretty monstrous red flag and shouldn't be ignored.

Dana is that you?

48k per year for a pro athlete in what's meant to be the "big leagues" is ridiculous...

48k is only if she loses every single fight and gets no performance bonuses. Winning just one fight brings her to 60k, two brings her 72k, and three 84k. Keep in mind she just got a 50k performance bonus. So the minimum she can make this year —even if she loses her best fight—- is 110k

For a FEMALE ATHLETE that really good pay. The WNBA pays an average of 75.18 thousand U.S. dollars per player. The Women’s National Soccer League’s minimum player salary is $22,000 and its maximum player salary is $52,500.

Source: https://equalizersoccer.com/2021/05/11/nwsl-minimum-maximum-salary-team-caps-rise-expenses-details/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1120604/annual-salaries-wnba/

nutrition, supplements,
Companies dealing in those sponsor fighters like crazy. If you’re signed to the UFC and aren’t getting free supplements, you’re doing something wrong. That’s before getting into pre prepped meals, another big sponsor of many fighters.
Just to recap; I understand her frustrations in this line of work. She probably hasn't been paid much in her previous organizations but the UFC has already paid her $62,000 between two fights. If she fights one more time this year and wins this could potentially push Buys over 100k.

For a person who barely has any accomplishments in MMA she's getting paid decent
I have to agree. Her accomplishments in mma amount to nothing, really. Got signed as a 5-1 fighter, with no wins of note. If Dana wasn’t desperate to sign fighters on DWCS last year, she might not have been signed.
She is hot, she could have found much better husband than JP Buys, he is not handsome, he is midget and if he is also poor wtf she was thinking by marrying to him?
Don’t forget the hairline. The most important quality Sherdog looks for.

Not gonna name names. But I vaguely know a former Pride/UFC fighter. If we didn't have health coverage in Canada he'd need GoFundMe's like Mark Coleman just to get his health issues treated.

Guy is likely never gonna retire, jumps from jump to gym to stay active as an instructor.

She's only had two fights in the UFC, so it would be half her fights she's looked like she doesn't belong, but I don't agree that she's looked like she belonged in even half because her opponent hasn't looked like she's belonged in 100% of her fights, so the jury is still out on whether or not Buys is even UFC caliber or not. And not being able to stop a basic schoolyard headlock three rounds straight against another fighter who also hasn't proven they belong in the UFC is a pretty monstrous red flag and shouldn't be ignored.

She has actually had three under the UFC banner. She had on on the DWCS and did enough for Dana to want her to continue in UFC. I realise you might claim DWCS doesn't count, but they are clearly UFC fights.

The headlock fight was clearly pretty embarrassing for her but equally so for the other fighter who couldn't do anything from it. It isn't uncommon even in UFC for fighters who have never had to face a position due to lesser fighters on regional circuit. I remember that aussie heavyweight Bam Bam one fight got taken down and mounted and had absolutely no idea how to try and get up.

That said my argument around pay has nothing to do around if she is good or bad. The UFC have determined they want her in the promotion and already have given her 3 fights and will be given more. I think 10+10 pay is bad for any fighter on the card not just her. The idea a promotion can make 900 million in revenue and can't pay all of the athletes to the point it enables them to be professional is a joke. These people have already grinded for years or more making nothing on regional circuit only to have to do it again at the UFC. Better pay for fighters at the bottom will result in better cards and better fighters, while better pay at the top won't really change anything other than make some fights easier to make.

They do have their own sponsors..
Just not during fight week.
PVZ made more from sponsors than from fighting in the UFC.
Joanna is signed by Puma.
Donald Cerrone list some of his sponsors on his web site
https://donaldcerrone.net/sponsors/
The only reason some of these fighters have those contracts is because of the enormous amount of work/hustling they do on the side or because they are niche outliers with perfect combination of personality, looks, speech combined with what they do outside of the cage.

PVZ leveraged every opportunity handed to her and the biggest ones, besides headlining a card or two, she and her management team setup herself including Dancing With the Stars which is probably how she picked up a lot of her fame.

The only person that hustles as much as PVZ is Joanna. She is probably the most well known personality/celebrity in Poland. Probably better known and at least at some points more prolific in media than their head of state.

Donald just does whatever he wants and sometimes films it and that sells itself. His brand was built probably the most effort free of anybody on the entire roster. That's not something anybody else could replicate.

Anybody who wants that type of market penetration will have to work their assess off for it. If someone wanted to replicate Joanna they would need work longer hours than they do training for years and would need to get some eyeballs on them at the right time.

This is one of those opportunities for Buys. She could easily land a dozen interviews and TV spots anywhere but I wouldn't want to be her or her Manager trying to coach her to walk a tightrope in interviews so she comes across as likable while at the same time stroking Dana's ego. Joanna did that for years. It's debatable how much it really helped her once she started losing but it's worth trying. Success can lead to bigger opportunities. Being as quiet as a mouse perhaps not so much.

Back