Chicken or Steak? And what about ground beef?

WhiteMousse

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So... Saturated fat. Is it actually bad, or can I tell everyone to shut up?

If I understand correctly saturated fats are pivotal for male strength, muscle maintenance and overall health.

In practical terms, what should I have for lunch? A chicken bowel from Chipotle? Or a steak bowl? Or should I get a quad burger in a lettuce wrap at Five Guys?

3759440.jpg

Chil-Lime-Steak-Fajita-Bowls-6.jpg

qJCZ6FM.jpg

Could save money and make your own chicken/steak bowl at home to take to work.....

Over consumption of Omega 6 fatty acids, processed carbohydrates, processed "vegetable oils", and trans fat is way more concerning than saturated fat......in my opinion. Your own selfstudy may draw you to different conclusion.

According to Cronometer chicken breast has a more complete amino acid profile, while steak is denser in micro nutrients. The steak has slightly more fat which makes it a bit more calorie dense as well.

I'd go for the steak.

Could save money and make your own chicken/steak bowl at home to take to work.....
No time unfortunately. Whenever I'm not at work I'm either working out or studying.

Tragedy is I actually love to cook, and am quite good at it.

Over consumption of Omega 6 fatty acids, processed carbohydrates, processed "vegetable oils", and trans fat is way more concerning than saturated fat......in my opinion. Your own selfstudy may draw you to different conclusion.

According to Cronometer chicken breast has a more complete amino acid profile, while steak is denser in micro nutrients. The steak has slightly more fat which makes it a bit more calorie dense as well.

I'd go for the steak.
Thank you.

What are your thoughts of protein right after a work out? I do cardio seven days a week, but lift only three. Today is one of those days and on such days I usually have salmon after the workout. It interrupts my IF but I figure it's worth it.

Thank you.

What are your thoughts of protein right after a work out? I do cardio seven days a week, but lift only three. Today is one of those days and on such days I usually have salmon after the workout. It interrupts my IF but I figure it's worth it.

Protein is far more important before a workout. That protein is going to take hours and hours to fully digest. So even if you don't eat immediately after working out, you're body will be using that protein from your previous meal to repair your body from that workout. The whole "anabolic window" is pretty overblown. What you eat is generally more important than when you eat.

Are you doing fasted workouts? If so, then that's probably the only time where meal timing become important so it's probably a good idea that you continue to eat soon after a fasted workout. Salmon, beef, chicken, eggs.......all are fine choices. Basically anything that's a complete protein will be sufficient.

Last edited:
Protein is far more important before a workout. That protein is going to take hours and hours to fully digest. So even if you don't eat immediately after working out, you're body will be using that protein from your previous meal to repair your body from that workout. The whole "anabolic window" is pretty overblown. What you eat is generally more important than when you eat.

Are you doing fasted workouts? If so, then that's probably the only time where meal timing become important so it's probably a good idea that you continue to eat soon after a fasted workout. Salmon, beef, chicken, eggs.......all are fine choices. Basically anything that's a complete protein will be sufficient.
I do IF on cardio days, all food is eaten within a four hour window.

But on lifting days I always eat afterwards.

What are your thoughts on carbs?

I do IF on cardio days, all food is eaten within a four hour window.

But on lifting days I always eat afterwards.

What are your thoughts on carbs?

Depends on your goals. Weight loss may be a bit easier without them but if you're serious about improving your strength or putting on size you'll probably need some carbs. If you're doing cardio 7 days per week and lifting 3 days as well I'd imagine you'd be fine including them in your diet.....unless you're trying to really improve your insulin sensitivity and exercise alone isn't cutting it.

Personally I usually opt for regular old white rice or rice noodles in my preworkout meals. I seem to digest that easier than potatoes, other grains(I have celiac disease), or tons of fruit.

Thank you.

Just eat whenever you're hungry. You don't need to overcomplicate it.

I'd go for the steak.

Agreed... It’s become harder than ever to trust “research” now. So much of it is tainted and corrupted by lobbyists and political bias.

No one wants to admit that the recommended “ADA” has been garbage for decades. Fat isn’t bad you. Processed food, especially carbs are far worse.

When fats are combined with high intakes of shitty carbs... yes, you’re going to get fat and have health issues.

Agreed... It’s become harder than ever to trust “research” now. So much of it is tainted and corrupted by lobbyists and political bias.

No one wants to admit that the recommended “ADA” has been garbage for decades. Fat isn’t bad you. Processed food, especially carbs are far worse.

When fats are combined with high intakes of shitty carbs... yes, you’re going to get fat and have health issues.

You know things are totally upside down when the American Heart Association recommends you eat industrial seed oils like canola, cotton, safflower, and soybean oil over something natural like coconut oil or tallow/lard. Those "vegetable oils" require the use of hexane, solvents, bleaching agents, and deodorizers to event make them somewhat palatable. It's disgusting.

The AHA advisory board members have close ties to Coca Cola, Monsanto, and Subway. They also receive tens of millions of dollars from companies like Proctor and Gamble(they make Crisco), Bayer(owns LibertyLink Soybeans), and Pfizer(produce Lipitor, the world's most popular statin). So take a wild guess at which studies they choose to cherry pick and who sponsored said studies.

Despite cherry picked studies by 'nutritional scientists', a diet high in 'Red meat' and saturated fats is highly correlated with metabolic syndrome based on multiple studies, geographically independent, with 10s of thousands of study subjects. And before anyone chimes in with "but they didn't control for carbs ...", umm yes they have.

I've been going to Liver meetings (Europe and the US) for 3 yrs and a consistent theme related to diet is that metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance, liver function, CVD risk) is reduced with (in order of priority) reduction of: caloric intake, red meat consumption, saturated fats, sugar, processed foods, and advanced glycated end products. I was shocked that sugar wasn't number 1.

As I know protein in eggs is digested the best. No matter how many you take.

Despite cherry picked studies by 'nutritional scientists', a diet high in 'Red meat' and saturated fats is highly correlated with metabolic syndrome based on multiple studies, geographically independent, with 10s of thousands of study subjects. And before anyone chimes in with "but they didn't control for carbs ...", umm yes they have.

I've been going to Liver meetings (Europe and the US) for 3 yrs and a consistent theme related to diet is that metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance, liver function, CVD risk) is reduced with (in order of priority) reduction of: caloric intake, red meat consumption, saturated fats, sugar, processed foods, and advanced glycated end products. I was shocked that sugar wasn't number 1.

How would you rate things like deer and kangaroo meat.

How would you rate things like deer and kangaroo meat.

I don't know anything about those specific meats, w.r.t. metabolic disorders, (other than i like deer meat whenever a friend gives me some that they've harvested) but I doubt they are much different.

I've neer seen a break down by meat, which expect the fitness and nutrition nutter crowd to jump on. I'm just relaying an observation that over 3 yrs of attending EASL and AASLD I'm very surprised that when NAFLD and metabolic disaese are discussed w.r.t diet, I am very surprised that high sugar intake isn't the first thing listed as leading to metabolic disease. Total caloric intake is the first thing listed, and red meat consumption is second. Just like the government nutritional shift from fats to carbs in the 70s having unintended consequences, I think the protein over carbs is having the same effect.

Increasing the portion of calories coming from proteins, while reducing carbs is probably a great idea. Increasing protein intake massively and still having high caloric intake, is not supported by the vast body of clinical study data related to liver health and metabolic disorder.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about those specific meats, w.r.t. metabolic disorders, (other than i like deer meat whenever a friend gives me some that they've harvested) but I doubt they are much different.

I've neer seen a break down by meat, which expect the fitness and nutrition nutter crowd to jump on. I'm just relaying an observation that over 3 yrs of attending EASL and AASLD I'm very surprised that when NAFLD and metabolic disaese are discussed w.r.t diet, I am very surprised that high sugar intake isn't the first thing listed as leading to metabolic disease. Total caloric intake is the first thing listed, and red meat consumption is second. Just like the government nutritional shift from fats to carbs in the 70s having unintended consequences, I think the protein over carbs is having the same effect.

Increasing the portion of calories coming from proteins, while reducing carbs is probably a great idea. Increasing protein intake massively and still having high caloric intake, is not supported by the vast body of clinical study data related to liver health and metabolic disorder.

So what is the particular hard on for red meat, if said red meat is unprocessed and contains a low fat content.

What about organic, grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free red meat? Seems like one of those things that should be ok in moderation. If you're eating cheeseburgers 5× a day every day then of course you'll have issues.

So what is the particular hard on for red meat, if said red meat is unprocessed and contains a low fat content.

Consuming massive amounts of protein will definitely work over your kidneys. What do you mean by 'processed meat'? The reason I'm asking is that high temperature cooking is one of the aspects of cheap prepared foods that most people overlook. I recommend everyone do some reading about AGEs (advanced glycated end products). That char that most people like on their grass fed beef is virtually pure AGE.

You know how paleo and the 'eat what your ancestors ate' diets are pushed but you don't get a lot of reasons why this is a good idea? Well there is a good chance that your ancestors ate a lot of low temperature cooked foods such as stews, which are low in AGEs.

What about organic, grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free red meat? Seems like one of those things that should be ok in moderation. If you're eating cheeseburgers 5× a day every day then of course you'll have issues.

Read the post above this one.

I agree that 5 fast food burgers a day is a shitty diet but the epidemiological evidence identified 'high intake of red meat' as the meta-analysis variable of significance.

Back