International China Pulls Ahead of US in Quantum Computing Race

The Search For Dark Matter Gets Boost from Quantum Technology

Researchers around the world have built dozens of detectors in hopes of discovering dark matter. As a graduate student, I helped design and operate one of these detectors, aptly named HAYSTAC. But despite decades of experimental effort, scientists have yet to identify the dark matter particle.

Now, the search for dark matter has received an unlikely assist from technology used in quantum computing research. In a new paper published in the journal Nature, my colleagues on the HAYSTAC team and I describe how we used a bit of quantum trickery to double the rate at which our detector can search for dark matter. Our result adds a much-needed speed boost to the hunt for this mysterious particle.

Let's Go.

The Alcubierre drive, Alcubierre warp drive, or Alcubierre metric (referring to metric tensor) is a speculative warp drive idea based on a solution of Einstein's Field Equations in General Relativity as proposed by theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre, by which a spacecraft could achieve apparent faster-than-light travel if a configurable energy-density field lower than that of vacuum (that is, negative mass) could be created.[1][2][3]

Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel. Objects cannot accelerate to the speed of light within normal spacetime; instead, the Alcubierre drive shifts space around an object so that the object would arrive at its destination more quickly than light would in normal space without breaking any physical laws.

Although the metric proposed by Alcubierre is consistent with the Einstein field equations, construction of such a drive is not necessarily possible. The proposed mechanism of the Alcubierre drive implies a negative energy density and therefore requires exotic matter or manipulation of dark energy. However, following an argument developed by physicists analyzing traversable Einstein-Rosen bridges (wormholes), Alcubierre argued that the Casimir vacuum between parallel plates could fulfill the negative-energy requirement for the Alcubierre drive.[4][5][6][7]
Witch craft! Honestly I’ve been wondering about the Kay from theory to reality in this new age of tech. Took about 55 years to go from theory to nukes and then ten more years to nuclear power. Wonder what the lag will be for this to start making it a reality? Man this stuff is so interesting but I have no idea how and where it’ll pop out first

It's not just the Dem admin, it's been every administration since Nixon / Kissinger cosied up to Mao Zedong.
True. As bad as Nixon was though his China policy was actually logical. It split the commies and made it out into the open. Sucking up and doing big trade deals later under H Bush and til now has been where the true damage has been done

The US should station troops there and formally recognize taiwan.
In fairness, how would you feel if China did the same to Cuba? I’m for defending Taiwan but further escalating is not the answer.

In fairness, how would you feel if China did the same to Cuba? I’m for defending Taiwan but further escalating is not the answer.

I dont think the US is preparing to annex Cuba by force. Nor do they see it as part if the United States. At the very least the US should supply Taiwan with more advanced weapons. I think recently they were gonna sell them a few dozen m1 abrams tanks. They should of sold them a few hundred and maybe get them on board the f35 program.

Back