International [Chinese COVID Vaccines News] After Sowing Propaganda Against mRNA Tech, China Realize They Needs It

Brazil asks Chinese embassy for help securing extra COVID-19 vaccines
March 10, 2021
(Reuters) - Brazil has asked the Chinese embassy to help secure 30 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine from China to ensure its inoculation program does not grind to a halt, according to a document seen by Reuters.

In a letter sent to China's ambassador to Brazil, Yang Wanming, a senior Health Ministry official asked for help in the potential purchase and delivery of the shots from the Sinopharm laboratory in the first half of this year.

According to the letter written by Elcio Franco, Executive Secretary at the Health Ministry, Brazil's vaccination program is in danger if it cannot secure more doses.

So far, Brazil, with the second highest death toll in the world, has vaccinated only about 4% of its population.

"The immunization campaign ... is at risk due to the lack of doses, given the scarcity of international supply. Therefore, the Health Ministry has been seeking to establish contact with new suppliers, in particular Sinopharm, whose vaccine is proven to be effective against COVID-19," Franco said in the letter.

So far, Brazil has relied on supplies of the Chinese vaccine Coronavac, made by Sinovac, and AstraZeneca Plc's vaccine, developed with Oxford University.

Last week, Brazil said it intended to buy 100 million doses this year from Pfizer Inc and 38 million from Janssen, the pharmaceutical subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/brazil-asks-chinese-embassy-help-152150708.html

Last edited:
https://seekingalpha.com/news/36719...of-efficacy-against-original-covid-19-variant At least the Philippines is getting the option to not be stuck with the Chinese vaccine.

From what I have heard local governments particulary mayors really dont trust the Chinese Vaccine and have exposed an alleged plan by the Durrterte government to pass measures that will make it next to imposible to get vacines from countries other than China.

But offcours the administration denies that they even planned on limitting vaccine options.

I just don't know what to call it at this point or what kind of people who will put their citizens lives health in question so they can please a foreighn country.

And I cant believe they have like 90% approval rating now immagine anyone supporting that.

From what I have heard local governments particulary mayors really dont trust the Chinese Vaccine and have exposed an alleged plan by the Durrterte government to pass measures that will make it next to imposible to get vacines from countries other than China.

But offcours the administration denies that they even planned on limitting vaccine options.

I just don't know what to call it at this point or what kind of people who will put their citizens lives health in question so they can please a foreighn country.

And I cant believe they have like 90% approval rating now immagine anyone supporting that.
I just can’t wrap my head around how crazy Duetre is and how he bows down to China so hard. Especially since their vaccine isn’t even that good.
I have a banker friend who said that Manila has definitely gotten safer since he became president of the Philippines. Wonder if just safety is a bigger concern for most people? Idk seems nuts that people support this guy

I just can’t wrap my head around how crazy Duetre is and how he bows down to China so hard. Especially since their vaccine isn’t even that good.
I have a banker friend who said that Manila has definitely gotten safer since he became president of the Philippines. Wonder if just safety is a bigger concern for most people? Idk seems nuts that people support this guy

I wonder what is his metrics on how Manila became safer even if its true it is a very myopic view on how an administration run the country I wonder how safe he feels with 50% vaccine.

That is the problem with suporters if populists like Erdogan,Duterte,Etc they are single issue voters and could not be arsed to call out their politician if they messing up in other issues big time.

Heck had I voted Duterte I would be screaming more for him to not fucked up.

That is my mindset in politics "I voted for you so stop fucking up and do your job you promised in your campaign.

I wonder what is his metrics on how Manila became safer even if its true it is a very myopic view on how an administration run the country I wonder how safe he feels with 50% vaccine.

That is the problem with suporters if populists like Erdogan,Duterte,Etc they are single issue voters and could not be arsed to call out their politician if they messing up in other issues big time.

Heck had I voted Duterte I would be screaming more for him to not fucked up.

That is my mindset in politics "I voted for you so stop fucking up and do your job you promised in your campaign.
He visits and says there seems to be less crime and violence. I mean that was a few years ago by now.
If he delivered on crime that’s be good as some places need crime and corruption wiped out in order to thrive.
The fact that he can’t do anything else is alarming and he really has no good answers to anything. I don’t see his appeal at all. Especially since he’s gotten whacky as of late

Official Admits Chinese Vaccines Have Low Effectiveness as Country Explores Mixing Shots
BY DANIEL POLITI | APRIL 11, 2021​

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention is well aware of the existing problems with the country’s coronavirus vaccines and is exploring the option of mixing vaccines to improve them. The vaccines that have been manufactured by China “don’t have very high protection rates,” the director of the China Centers for Disease Control, Gao Fu, said at a conference on Saturday. The remarks amounted to a rare instance of a Chinese official acknowledging questions about the effectiveness of the country’s vaccines that have been broadly distributed abroad.

In order to deal with the problems, China is “formally considering” whether it should mix vaccines in order to improve the effectiveness. Another possible solution could be to change how the doses are doled out and the space between each shot. China had previously tried to raise doubts about the new vaccines, such as the one by Pfizer and Moderna, that use the new messenger RNA technology. But now China is working on its own MRNA vaccine.

Gao’s words spread quickly on social media but were later censored. “It is the first time . . . a government official publicly admitted that the protection rate is a concern in the vaccination drive,” Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, tells the Financial Times. None of the Chinese vaccines have published phase 3 trial data, leading to questions about transparency even as it sells millions of doses abroad. A recent study of the Sinovac vaccine in Chile found that the efficacy rate of one shot of the vaccine was only 3 percent, compared to 56 percent with two shots. The country’s Sinopharm vaccine claims to have a 79 percent efficacy rate after two shots.

After his statement spread quickly around the world, Gao tried to do some damage control by claiming his words were misconstrued. “It was a complete misunderstanding,” he told China’s Global Times newspaper, which is aligned with the Chinese Communist Party. “The protection rates of all vaccines in the world are sometimes high, and sometimes low. How to improve their efficacy is a question that needs to be considered by scientists around the world,” Gao said. “In this regard, I suggest that we can consider adjusting the vaccination process, such as the number of doses and intervals and adopting sequential vaccination with different types of vaccines.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/04/official-chinese-vaccines-low-effectiveness-mixing.amp

Last edited:
Haven't wealthy Gulf counties also been using that vaccine?

The UAE does, and they're needing 3 shots just to get barely enough antibodies.

A lot of poor countries (particularly in Africa, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America) are still relying on Chinese vaccine, 'cause shitty vaccine without any peer-reviewed testing results being published is still better than no vaccine at all.

Effectiveness of Chinese vaccines ‘not high’ and needs improvement, top health official says
By Gerry Shih | April 11, 2021

18406dce-90e4-4bd7-9c73-fa4bb3f7a8c4.jpeg

The head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention conceded that the efficacy of Chinese coronavirus vaccines is "not high" and that they may require improvements, marking a rare admission from a government that has staked its international credibility on its doses.

The comments on Saturday from George Gao come after the government has already distributed hundreds of millions of doses to other countries, even though the rollout has been dogged by questions over why Chinese pharmaceutical firms have not released detailed clinical trial data about the vaccines’ efficacy.

China has struck deals to supply many of its allies and economic partners in the developing world and boasted that world leaders — including in Indonesia, Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates — have taken the shots.

There have been signs that some countries remain skeptical: The UAE recently experimented with administering three shots of the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine, instead of two, over reports of low numbers of antibodies produced in some people, while Singapore has stockpiled but not used Sinovac shots.

China is “formally considering” options to change its vaccines to “solve the problem that the efficacy of the existing vaccines is not high,” Gao said at a conference in Chengdu.

Gao added that one possibility was to adjust the dosage or increase the number of doses. He said another option was to mix vaccines that are made with different technologies, in an apparent admission that China needs to develop messenger RNA vaccines using the revolutionary genetic technology that Western countries have harnessed.

Gao’s remarks, which appeared inadvertent and quickly spread through Chinese social media on Saturday before being mostly censored, marked a departure from the rosy assessments of Chinese-made vaccines by the government. By Sunday, Internet users were intentionally misspelling words in their posts while discussing Gao’s comments to keep them from being removed.

Sinopharm and Sinovac use a conventional method of producing vaccines that contains inactivated viruses, while other countries’ offerings, including those by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, rely on a new technique that uses messenger RNA (mRNA) to stimulate an immune response.

The gap in efficacy between mRNA and inactivated vaccines has been observed broadly and among other countries’ shots, too. The overall efficacy of Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot vaccine is about 66 percent, compared with roughly 95 percent for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna shots.

Chinese pharmaceutical companies are racing to catch up with the technology. Several Chinese companies are beginning trials, and executives say there could be a Chinese mRNA vaccine as early as this year.

The admission by the head of the Chinese CDC undercut other arms of the government, including its propaganda organs and diplomats, who have spent months touting Chinese vaccines as part of a soft power push while aggressively sowing doubt about Western alternatives by questioning the efficacy and safety of mRNA technology.

On Sunday, the Global Times, a state-run newspaper that has led the way in pushing theories about the coronavirus originating from outside China, hit back at the “hyped up” reports of Gao’s comments.

It quoted Gao as saying that his comments had been misunderstood and that he was speaking in general terms about how scientists, internationally, should improve their vaccine development.

“I was struck by what Gao said, not because it is significantly different from what we have already known but because it deviates from the official narrative on the effectiveness of Chinese and Western vaccines,” said Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. “I think he was trying to push for the approval of the use of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines in China and/or the acceleration of the development of China’s own mRNA vaccines.”

Even before Gao’s comments, there had been discussion about whether the Chinese companies should tweak their formulations or vaccination regimen. Executives at Sinopharm, the state pharmaceutical giant, said in March that they were assessing whether to include a third booster shot as part of their vaccine’s standard administering procedure. The company said last week that it would begin clinical tests on a third vaccine.

More than 60 countries have approved at least one of China’s vaccines for use. They have been in high demand, especially among lower-income countries, which have not been able to acquire the other vaccines.

Sinopharm has reported a 79 percent efficacy rate for its vaccine — without releasing any data — while trials for Sinovac in Brazil and Turkey have shown an efficacy rate of just 50 percent and more than 80 percent, respectively.

Yet even though both drugmakers carried out mass clinical trials earlier than most other pharmaceutical companies last year, the data still has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Foreigners traveling to China, however, have been encouraged to use these Chinese-made vaccines to enjoy streamlined access into the country.

In Turkey, where the Sinovac is in wide use, there has been little concern about the effectiveness of the vaccine. Rather, the worry has been that China won’t be able to deliver the promised 100 million doses amid delays in shipments.

Brazil, Egypt and other nations also have been clamoring for more doses as China has throttled back exports in the face of domestic demand even as cases have been surging worldwide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...fe3ab6-9a8f-11eb-8f0a-3384cf4fb399_story.html

Last edited:
China’s Vaccine Diplomacy Just Got a Big Win with WHO's approval
By Sui-Lee Wee | May 7, 2021​

Developing countries racing for coronavirus vaccines now have another dependable option, according to the World Health Organization. And China’s reputation as a rising scientific superpower just got a big boost.

On Friday, the global health agency declared a vaccine made by a Chinese company, Sinopharm, to be a safe and reliable way to fight the virus. The declaration marks a significant step toward clearing up doubts about the vaccine, after little late-phase clinical trial data was disclosed by the Chinese government and the company.

The W.H.O. emergency use approval allows the Sinopharm vaccine to be included in Covax, a global initiative to provide free vaccines to poor countries. The possible inclusion in Covax raises hopes that more people — especially those in developing nations — will get access to shots at a crucial moment.

Rich countries are hoarding doses of vaccines. India, a major vaccine maker, has stopped exports to address its worsening coronavirus crisis. Safety concerns led health authorities in some countries to temporarily pause the use of vaccines made by AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

“The addition of this vaccine has the potential to rapidly accelerate Covid-19 vaccine access for countries seeking to protect health workers and populations at risk,” Dr. Mariângela Simão, W.H.O. assistant director general for access to health products, said in a statement.

Reliable vaccine access could improve even further next week when the W.H.O. considers another Chinese shot, made by a company called Sinovac. But the fanfare may be short-lived. While China has claimed it can make up to five billion doses by the end of this year, Chinese officials say the country is struggling to manufacture enough doses for its own population and are cautioning a pandemic-weary world to keep expectations in check.

“This should be the golden time for China to practice its vaccine diplomacy. The problem is, at the same time, China itself is facing a shortage,” said Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations. “So in terms of global access to vaccines, I don’t expect the situation to significantly improve in the coming two to three months.”

China’s vaccination campaign got off to a slow start, in part because the government prioritized exports and residents did not feel rushed to get vaccinated. The country is now speeding up its national vaccination campaign and aims to inoculate 40 percent of its 1.4 billion people by the end of June.

Sinopharm and Sinovac are producing about 12 million doses a day, just a little over the 10 million doses that China hopes to administer daily to meet the domestic target. The companies would have to produce roughly 500 million additional doses to meet the demands of other countries, according to a calculation of data provided by Bridge Consulting, a Beijing-based consultancy focused on China’s impact on global health.

The vaccine shortage in China underscores the complexity of rolling out a mass vaccination campaign for the world’s most populous nation while also trying to execute an ambitious export program. Companies involved in the vaccine supply chain, such as those making syringes, are working overtime.

“The whole world is short of this vaccine,” said a Sinovac spokesman, Pearson Liu. “The demand is just too great.”

To mitigate the shortfall, Chinese officials said those getting vaccinated in China could delay getting their second shot by as long as eight weeks, or they could combine the same type of vaccine from different companies. They have said the shortage should ease by June.

Andrea Taylor, who analyzes global data on vaccines at the Duke Global Health Institute, called the potential addition of two Chinese vaccines into the Covax program a “game changer.”

“The situation right now is just so desperate for low and lower middle income countries that any doses we can get out are worth mobilizing,” Ms. Taylor said. “Having potentially two options coming from China could really change the landscape of what’s possible over the next few months.”

China’s vaccines have been rolled out to more than 80 countries, but they have faced significant skepticism, in part because the companies have not released Phase 3 clinical trial data for scientists to independently assess the vaccines’ efficacy rates. An advisory group to the W.H.O. published the data this week.

The Sinopharm vaccine developed with the Beijing Institute of Biological Products has an efficacy rate of 78.1 percent, according to the W.H.O. advisory group. The Sinovac vaccine has varying efficacy rates of between 50 percent to 84 percent, depending on the country where Phase 3 trials were conducted. Both vaccines were made using a tried-and-tested technology that involves weakening or killing a virus with chemicals.

The advisory group’s data showed that it had a “high level of confidence” that the Sinopharm vaccine worked in preventing Covid-19 in adults, but a “low level” of confidence for people over 60. The group’s findings were similar for the Sinovac vaccine.

The W.H.O. said that because Sinopharm enrolled few adults above 60 years old in its trials, the health agency could not estimate the vaccine efficacy for this group. But the W.H.O. said it would not restrict the use of the vaccine in that age group because preliminary data suggests “the vaccine is likely to have a protective effect in older persons.”

There is limited data on how well the vaccine will work against the many coronavirus variants cropping up around the world. Chinese vaccines are overall less effective than the inoculations produced by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

But for China’s leaders, the W.H.O. approval can still be seen as a badge of honor. Xi Jinping, China’s top leader, has pledged to make a Covid-19 vaccine a “global public good.”

After India announced export restrictions on vaccines last month, Indonesia and the Philippines said they would turn to China for help. Last week, China’s foreign minister offered to help South Asian nations get access to vaccines.

Indonesia said it would get additional doses from Sinovac after President Joko Widodo held talks with Mr. Xi. In a speech the same week, President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines said he owed “a debt of gratitude” to China for its vaccines.

It remains to be seen whether the W.H.O. approval will change Beijing’s approach to doling out vaccines. China has given only 10 million doses to Covax, though it has independently donated 16.5 million doses and sold 691 million doses to 84 countries, according to Bridge Consulting. Many of the donations were made to developing nations in Africa and Asia.

“They don’t like to subsume their generosity in their products under some U.N. brand,” said J. Stephen Morrison, director of the global health policy center at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. “They are in a historic phase,” he said. “They want the recipients to know that this is China delivering.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/business/economy/china-sinopharm-vaccine-who.html

Last edited:
Alarming COVID-19 resurgence in world's most vaccinated nation leads to questions about Chinese vaccine
More than one-third of the new cases are people who have been fully vaccinated with Sinopharm.
By Jenna Romaine | May 12, 2021

The 115-island archipelago Seychelles, the world's most vaccinated country, has seen a resurgence in COVID-19 cases, reaching "a higher number of infections per capita than India," according to the Wall Street Journal.

What’s alarming to some is that, according to Seychelles’s Ministry of Health, more than one-third of the new cases are people who have been fully vaccinated.

At this time, about 67 percent of the country’s population is fully vaccinated. Of those vaccinated, a majority have received the Chinese government-funded Sinopharm vaccine. Others in the country have received a derivative of the AstraZeneca vaccine called Covishield, which is manufactured in India.

Though not much data is available on the vaccine’s efficacy in people over 60, the World Health Organization (WHO) gave the green light on Friday for the emergency use of the Sinopharm vaccine globally. The authorization was granted to "alleviate a severe shortage of doses in the developing world, as vaccine exports from COVID-19-struck India grind to a halt," according to the Wall Street Journal.

Kate O'Brien, director of immunizations, vaccines and biologicals for the WHO, said a majority of Seychelles's cases are mild and noted the timeline of when some who received the vaccine became infected.

"The Sinopharm vaccine really requires two doses, and some of the cases that are being reported are occurring either soon after a single dose or soon after a second dose," she said.

Last month, the director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Gao Fu, said the country’s vaccines, including Sinopharm, provide only low-level protection against the coronavirus.

It’s been speculated that the low level of effectiveness could be tied to the fact that the Sinopharm vaccine is inactivated, utilizing a dead version of the germ or virus, which typically isn’t as effective or long-lasting as live vaccines.

In order to suppress the surge of new cases, the Seychelles government has established new preventative COVID-19 measures, including early restaurant closures and no inter-household socializing.

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...6-alarming-covid-19-resurgence-in-worlds-most

People should avoid getting fake vaccines from the same country that caused the pandemic. 50% efficacy and now they want to "mix" vaccines? The CCP should test it on themselves first.

UAE and Bahrain to Offer Third Sinopharm Shots Amid Efficacy Concerns
By Adveith Nair | May 18, 2021​

The United Arab Emirates and Bahrain will offer a third Sinopharm shot to people who’ve already got two doses, amid concerns over the efficacy of the vaccine.

“An additional supportive dose of Sinopharm is now available to people who have received the vaccine previously and who have now completed more than six months since the second dose,” the UAE’s National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority said.

Bahrain will prioritize front-line workers, residents older than 50 and those with underlying conditions for the booster shots. The Gulf nations, which approved the Sinopharm vaccine late last year, are among the first in the world to unveil plans for booster shots.

The UAE administered third doses to a “small number” of people who didn’t develop antibodies after the first two Sinopharm shots, The National newspaper had reported in March.

Peng Xiao, the chief executive of G42, the company that’s making the Sinopharm shot locally in the UAE, told Bloomberg in March that the firm was “testing if a third shot can help to protect against the new mutations that we see around us.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...sinopharm-booster-shot-amid-efficacy-concerns

Kate O'Brien, director of immunizations, vaccines and biologicals for the WHO, said a majority of Seychelles's cases are mild and noted the timeline of when some who received the vaccine became infected.

"The Sinopharm vaccine really requires two doses, and some of the cases that are being reported are occurring either soon after a single dose or soon after a second dose," she said.

I think these are two important points, and the majority of the infections there are not in fully vaxxed people (roughly in line with the known efficacy?) Still, if they are reporting per capita infections at such high rate, i think its important reminder that any country implementing the lower efficacy vaccines need to work hard (and get supported) to get a high double dose distribution as quickly as possible, because high transmission rates in vaccinated populations could see variants emerging that have evolved against the immune systems of vaccinated people. I think so far the major variants circulating have emerged from places with low vaccine distribution, and are the result of selection in previously infected people in areas of high transmission.

Bahrain, Facing a Covid Surge, Starts Giving Pfizer Boosters to Recipients of Chinese Vaccine
Residents who are over 50, are obese or have chronic illnesses are urged to get a Pfizer-BioNTech shot six months after their full Sinopharm vaccination
By Yaroslav Trofimov and Summer Said | June 2, 2021​

DUBAI—The Persian Gulf island nation of Bahrain, battling a sharp resurgence of Covid-19 despite high levels of inoculation with a Chinese-made vaccine, has started giving booster shots to vulnerable citizens using a different vaccine made by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE, a senior official said.

Waleed Khalifa al Manea, Bahrain’s undersecretary of health, said the vaccine manufactured by state-owned Chinese drugmaker Sinopharm, which has accounted for more than 60% of Bahrain’s inoculations so far, was providing a high degree of protection. More than 90% of people hospitalized in the current Covid-19 wave, the worst the country has faced, hadn’t been vaccinated, he said.

Still, Dr. al Manea added, Bahrain residents who are over 50, are obese or have chronic illnesses now are being urged to get another shot six months after their full Sinopharm vaccination—with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. The government started offering the boosters at the end of May, he said.

Bahrain, which has made the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine available to unvaccinated residents for months, will continue to offer the choice of Sinopharm to those who prefer the Chinese vaccine, Dr. al Manea said. The government’s BeAware app allows users to book a Sinopharm booster shot, but says that Pfizer-BioNTech is recommended for more-vulnerable population groups.

Sinopharm and other Chinese vaccines have become key tools of Beijing’s international diplomacy, especially in developing nations unable to secure sufficient doses of U.S. and European-made shots. Sinopharm and another shot, manufactured by Sinovac Biotech Ltd., have already received emergency approval from the World Health Organization.

The two vaccines are manufactured with inactivated virus, a long-used technique for making vaccines. The Pfizer-BioNTech shot relies on a new technology employing messenger RNA.

Published clinical data on Sinopharm’s efficiency among the population groups most vulnerable to severe disease is scant. The vaccine’s main clinical trial involved 40,382 participants in the Middle East, most of them in the United Arab Emirates.

The study’s peer-reviewed results, published on May 26 by the Journal of the American Medical Association, found 78% efficacy against symptomatic disease for one of two versions of the Sinopharm vaccine. However, the cohort was made up mostly of healthy young men—the participants’ mean age was 36—and the study reported only two cases of severe disease, a statistically insufficient amount, in the placebo group.

“Conclusions about prevention of severe cases cannot be made,” the study said, adding that it “could not address the question of whether the inactivated vaccines prevent against asymptomatic infection.” With no participants older than 60 developing an infection, the study also had no data on whether Sinopharm’s vaccine works in that age group.

In a separate, unpublished, real-world study of Sinopharm in Serbia, 29% of 150 participants were found to have zero antibodies against the virus three months after they received the first of two shots of the vaccine. The average age of the people who participated in the Serbian study was higher than 65.

“The Sinopharm vaccine is not immunogenic enough, and it appears that its impact is especially low on elderly recipients,” said Olgica Djurkovic-Djakovic, the doctor who headed the study at the University of Belgrade and shared the findings with The Wall Street Journal. Ten people out of the 150 who received Sinopharm and participated in the study contracted Covid-19, she said.

Sinopharm, which hasn’t responded to requests for comment for this article, said in March that it was studying whether to recommend a third booster shot, without sharing details. The company hasn’t publicly addressed questions about its vaccine’s efficacy since then. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying, asked at a May 12 press briefing about a Journal article on a virus spike in the Seychelles, another nation heavily dependent on Sinopharm, said such reporting “exposes their unhealthy mind-set of denigrating China at every turn.”

In Bahrain, daily Covid-19 deaths have leapt to 12 per million people in recent weeks—an outbreak nearly five times more lethal than India’s—prompting the island nation’s government to shut down shopping malls and restaurants in an effort to limit the spread. Dr. al Manea attributed this upsurge to holiday celebrations during and at the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. “The infections came mainly from family gatherings—we had Ramadan, which is a very social event in Bahrain.”

One of the world’s vaccination leaders, Bahrain has fully vaccinated 47% of its people, more than the 41% vaccination rate in the U.S. or the 38% in the U.K.

The Seychelles, an Indian Ocean archipelago that became the world’s most vaccinated nation due to donations of the Sinopharm vaccine from the U.A.E. and of an AstraZeneca PLC shot by India, with 65% of the population fully vaccinated, also saw cases and deaths surge to records in May. The WHO pointed out that most of those who had fallen sick with Covid-19 there were either unvaccinated or had only received their first dose. The Seychelles health ministry said it is considering administering a third booster shot to vulnerable residents.

The U.A.E. said in March that it already began administering a third booster shot of Sinopharm to some residents who failed to develop antibodies with the first two. In the U.A.E., where Sinopharm accounts for the majority of administered vaccines, unvaccinated residents—like in Bahrain—can now choose which vaccine to take.

In Dubai, the most populous of the seven members of the U.A.E., the emirate’s health authorities have also quietly begun revaccinating with Pfizer-BioNTech those residents who had been fully inoculated with Sinopharm, according to dozens of recipients.

Dubai resident Brindha Satheshwaran, 42, was vaccinated with Sinopharm in January and said she felt protected until her husband, also inoculated with the Chinese vaccine, took an antibody test that turned out to be negative. She said they both decided to get two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, and received the first of them in late May.

“Several people I know are finding out they have not developed antibodies after Sinopharm and are rushing to book to get Pfizer,” Ms. Satheshwaran said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bahrai...-to-recipients-of-chinese-vaccine-11622648737

Last edited:
And yet fucking WHO gave authorization to Sinovac

A recent study out of UAE and Bahrain found two of the Chinese vaccines to be quite highly effective at preventing symptomatic infection at 73-78% with a younger cohort (~36 y.o). Given that the vaccine method is inactivated virus, which is generally considered to be lower efficacy, i guess they are less effective in the older, more vulnerable age range, but its still positive that they can help protect a massive % of the global population and in the overall effort against the pandemic.

A recent study out of UAE and Bahrain found two of the Chinese vaccines to be quite highly effective at preventing symptomatic infection at 73-78% with a younger cohort (~36 y.o). Given that the vaccine method is inactivated virus, which is generally considered to be lower efficacy, i guess they are less effective in the older, more vulnerable age range, but its still positive that they can help protect a massive % of the global population and in the overall effort against the pandemic.

Indeed, "some protection" is better than "no protection".

Now that "a lot of protection" is becoming available to the rest of the world, it's only natural for those who previously had no choice but to opted for "some protection" to make the upgrade.

A cherry-picked clinical trial consists mostly of young men in their 30s is freakin' bullshit though, and the peer-review said just as much about the result now that the highly-questionable details are finally published.

Published clinical data on Sinopharm’s efficiency among the population groups most vulnerable to severe disease is scant. The vaccine’s main clinical trial involved 40,382 participants in the Middle East, most of them in the United Arab Emirates.

The study’s peer-reviewed results, published on May 26 by the Journal of the American Medical Association, found 78% efficacy against symptomatic disease for one of two versions of the Sinopharm vaccine. However, the cohort was made up mostly of healthy young men—the participants’ mean age was 36—and the study reported only two cases of severe disease, a statistically insufficient amount, in the placebo group.

“Conclusions about prevention of severe cases cannot be made,” the study said, adding that it “could not address the question of whether the inactivated vaccines prevent against asymptomatic infection.” With no participants older than 60 developing an infection, the study also had no data on whether Sinopharm’s vaccine works in that age group.

In a separate, unpublished, real-world study of Sinopharm in Serbia, 29% of 150 participants were found to have zero antibodies against the virus three months after they received the first of two shots of the vaccine. The average age of the people who participated in the Serbian study was higher than 65.

“The Sinopharm vaccine is not immunogenic enough, and it appears that its impact is especially low on elderly recipients,” said Olgica Djurkovic-Djakovic, the doctor who headed the study at the University of Belgrade and shared the findings with The Wall Street Journal. Ten people out of the 150 who received Sinopharm and participated in the study contracted Covid-19, she said.

And yet fucking WHO gave authorization to Sinovac

They are urging Indonesia to lock it down now that shit hits the fan (again), with over 10,000 new cases a day. I can only imagine what Sinovac's efficacy rate is against the Delta variants consider that it's barely 50% against the original.

The good news is, the infections are mild and don't require hospitalization. The bad news is, the infected are asymptomatic carriers.

Sinovac: Hundreds of vaccinated Indonesian health workers get Covid-19, dozens in hospital
Story by Reuters | Fri June 18, 2021

More than 350 doctors and medical workers have caught Covid-19 in Indonesia despite being vaccinated with Sinovac, officials said, as concerns grow about the efficacy of some vaccines against more infectious variants.

Most of the workers were asymptomatic and self-isolating at home, said Badai Ismoyo, head of the health office in the district of Kudus in central Java, but dozens have been hospitalized with high fevers and falling oxygen-saturation levels.

Kudus, which has about 5,000 healthcare workers, is battling an outbreak believed to be driven by the more transmissible Delta variant, which has raised its bed occupancy rates above 90%.

Designated as a priority group, healthcare workers were among the first to be vaccinated when inoculations began in January.

Almost all have received the Covid-19 vaccine developed by Chinese biopharmaceutical company Sinovac, according to the Indonesian Medical Association (IDI).

While the number of Indonesian healthcare workers dying from Covid-19 has dropped sharply from 158 in January to 13 in May, according to data initiative group LaporCovid-19, public health experts say the Java hospitalizations are cause for concern.

"The data shows they have the Delta variant (in Kudus) so it is no surprise that the breakthrough infection is higher than before, because, as we know, the majority of healthcare workers in Indonesia got Sinovac, and we still don't know yet how effective it is in the real world against the Delta variant," said Dicky Budiman, an epidemiologist at Australia's Griffith University.

A spokesperson from Sinovac was not immediately available for comment on the efficacy of the Chinese firm's CoronaVac against newer variants of the virus.

The World Health Organization (WHO) approved emergency use of Sinovac's vaccine this month, saying results showed it prevented symptomatic disease in 51% of recipients and prevented severe Covid-19 and hospital stays.

As Indonesia grappled with one of Asia's worst outbreaks, with over 1.9 million infections and 53,000 deaths, its doctors and nurses have suffered a heavy toll of 946 deaths.

Many are now experiencing pandemic fatigue and taking a less vigilant approach to health protocols after being vaccinated, said Lenny Ekawati from LaporCovid-19.

Across Indonesia, at least five doctors and one nurse have died from Covid-19 despite being vaccinated, according to LaporCovid-19, although one had only received a first shot.

Siti Nadia Tarmizi, a senior health ministry official, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on how many doctors have died since the vaccination program began.

In Kudus, one senior doctor has died, said IDI.

Nadia said there had been no deaths in Kudus since a new outbreak began in the past several weeks among medical workers and that those who contracted Covid-19 have had mild symptoms.

In Jakarta, the capital, radiologist Dr Prijo Sidipratomo told Reuters he knew of at least half a dozen doctors hospitalized with Covid-19 in the past month despite being vaccinated, with one now being treated in an ICU.

"It is alarming for us because we cannot rely on vaccinations only," he said, urging people to take precautions.

Weeks after the Muslim Eid Al-Fitr holidays, Indonesia has experienced a surge in cases, with the positivity rate exceeding 23% on Wednesday and daily cases nearing 10,000, its highest since late February.

In its latest report, the WHO urged Indonesia to tighten its lockdown amid increased transmission and a surge in bed occupancy rates.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/18/asia/vaccinated-indonesian-doctors-covid-19-intl-hnk/index.html

Last edited:
Costa Rica rejects delivery of China's Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine, says it is not effective enough
By Marianne Guenot | Jun 17, 2021

60cb21ed23393a00188e3afe

Costa Rica's vaccination advisory board turned down China's Sinovac vaccine, describing the shot's efficacy as too low.

The National Commission on Vaccination and Epidemiology (NCVE) of Costa Rica said on Wednesday that negotiations with Sinovac, the vaccine's manufacturer, should be stopped.

It is the latest step in a wider wave of scrutiny for Chinese-made vaccines, which also include the Sinopharm shot.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the Sinovac's efficacy is 50.7%, when it comes to preventing symptomatic disease — significantly lower than Western-made shots.

Costa Rica can only approve vaccines with an efficacy above 60% following a resolution passed in April, prompting the country to reject Sinovac.

Another factor that played in Costa Rica's decision was that no data about the vaccine's efficacy has been published or submitted to the scrutiny of peers, according to Costa Rican vaccine official Roberto Arroba Tijerino.

The news came after the WHO vetted the Sinovac shot by giving it its Emergency Use Listing on June 1 based on results from a Brazilian trial, run on 12,000 health workers.

In that trial, the vaccine's efficacy was 50.7% against symptomatic disease, and 100% protective against hospitalization.

Broader questions about China's vaccine efficacy are circulating, as countries using the shot are seeing different results.

Another trial, run in Turkey, found the vaccine to be 83.5% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19. But that data has not been seen by the WHO.

Real-world data coming out of Indonesia, based on 128,000 health workers who received the shot in Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, found the vaccine to be 94% effective. But this was found at a time when cases in the country were low, and on a relatively young population, with an average age of 31.

Country-wide data coming out of Chile indicates the shot might not be so protective. Even though the country had vaccinated 60% of its population, more than 93% of which were Sinovac's shots, Chile saw a sharp surge in cases in April.

The NCVE has said that if new data is presented to the WHO, it might change its mind.

As Insider reported this week, scrutiny of Chinese-made vaccines stepped up after three nations extensively using the Sinopharm shot — Bahrain, the Seychelles, and Mongolia — started noticing new spikes in cases even among some people who had taken the vaccines.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cos...cine-concerns-low-efficacy-sinovac-2021-6?amp

Last edited:
Back