Social City of Toronto staff supports push to rename Dundas Street due to namesake’s connection to slavery

Add the humidity of the dot also. It gets badddd. I arrived from edmonton the night before garbage day once just at sunset and had to traverse dundas to get to bay terminal. I wish i had a gas mask that night.
I can’t imagine. Last year I caught a couple of fish and cleaned them at the house. I usually throw the bones etc in the freezer until garbage day and toss out the night before. I threw these in the green bin on a Monday in the heat. By Wednesday it smelled like death on the street. Not sure how the cops weren’t looking for a dead body. The point is, that was from two fish. Imagine a fish market. Wow.

I can’t imagine. Last year I caught a couple of fish and cleaned them at the house. I usually throw the bones etc in the freezer until garbage day and toss out the night before. I threw these in the green bin on a Monday in the heat. By Wednesday it smelled like death on the street. Not sure how the cops weren’t looking for a dead body. The point is, that was from two fish. Imagine a fish market. Wow.

Yeah china town can be bad too some days lol. It smells different on a good day.

And you missed my point in the thread.
I also said why not change the name of the city to please the woke?

If you can't understand why there is a push to change the name of a street that memorializes an individual guilty of atrocities but there is not a push to change the name of a city that does not memorialize an individual guilty of atrocities I can't help you.

If you can't understand why there is a push to change the name of a street that memorializes an individual guilty of atrocities but there is not a push to change the name of a city that does not memorialize an individual guilty of atrocities I can't help you.

There is no helping people like that.

All they can do is get outraged when something changes. It's like all the bigots in here have become grumpy senior citizens who are stuck in the past.

"Why don't people wear suits on airplanes anymore?!?!"

If you can't understand why there is a push to change the name of a street
If you didn't know this was a push by 14,000 people on a petition who were problary this upon a million people in the city. Do you think that a million of other people in the city with would agree with 14 000?

If you can't understand why there is a push to change the name of a street that memorializes an individual guilty of atrocities
Oh believe me i do know why its for the Black Lives Matter. Its to appease them.

All they can do is get outraged when something changes. It's like all the bigots in here have become grumpy senior citizens who are stuck in the past.

"Why don't people wear suits on airplanes anymore?!?!"
Says a far leftist who lives in the far leftist city of Canada.

All they can do is get outraged when something changes
You mean what your side does best? and changing street names like dundas is a great exmaple of that. If they dont get what they want your side always get outraged.

It's like all the bigots in here have become grumpy senior citizens who are stuck in the past

Stuck in the past? really now progressive is that why your side is going back 200 years ago demanding to rename streets, because your side deems them as racist? or inappropriate?
Rather then moving into the future and focusing into the future your side is the one that is stuck in the past and wants to rename things or get rid of them.

Nice try with the insults but i am not bigot.

dont forget that Toronto has being founded by the colonizers who brought slavery to. So why you are agaisnt the naming of Toronto progressive?

dont forget that Toronto has being founded by the colonizers who brought slavery to. So why you are agaisnt the naming of Toronto progressive?

Stop making stuff up.

Nobody has brought up the changing of the name of Toronto. It's not even named after anyone...but you probably haven't figured that out yet.

What's far left about Toronto? Do you mean most multicultural? Because then you would be correct.

Have a nap, grandpa.

Stop making stuff up.

Nobody has brought up the changing of the name of Toronto. It's not even named after anyone...but you probably haven't figured that out yet.

What's far left about Toronto? Do you mean most multicultural? Because then you would be correct.

Have a nap, grandpa.
What's far left about Toronto? Do you mean most multicultural?
The politics. And the mayor like John Tory it shows. The city wants to defund the police with a 25% and your saying that isn't far left?

You said.
All they can do is get outraged when something changes
That's not what i always do its what your progressive side does. If your side doesn't get what they want you will be outraged and twitter is all i need to see that.
You get triggered by art your side threatens others on a social media over something that they have drawn for doing it so progressively.

So dont give me the nonsense that i get triggered over the fact that your side is pushing for changing stuff while being stuck in the past.

It's not even named after anyone
Diverted word name from the native tribe Mohawk. I know this part of history. I bet you didn't even know that one.

Just so you know no one give a crap 20 years ago about the street if it was called dundas or whatever only your side seems to have problem with because soy mind believes that the name belonged to a racist,slaver owner.

There are Dundas streets in multiple towns and cities in Ontario so what are they going to cancel them all to? or just the ones in the Toronto?

Last edited:
The politics. And the mayor like John Tory it shows.

You said.

That's not what i always do its what your progressive side does. If your side doesn't get what they want you will be outraged and twitter is all i need to see that.
You get triggered by art your side threatens others on a social media over something that they have drawn for doing it so progressively.

So dont give me the nonsense that i get triggered over the fact that your side is pushing for changing stuff while being stuck in the past.

Just so you know no one give a crap 20 years ago about the street if it was called dundas or whatever only your side seems to have problem with because soy woke mind believes that the name belonged to a racist,slaver owner.

Yes people cared, but they were never listened to. Just like how they tried to hide everything they did to indigenous people by teaching kids that we all got along so nicely and crested Thanksgiving.

But now these people have a voice and this shit is getting exposed.

Yes people cared, but they were never listened to. Just like how they tried to hide everything they did to indigenous people by teaching kids that we all got along so nicely and crested Thanksgiving.

Yes like bending over to a people on a petition over a million in a city bending the knee to BLM? to change street names wasting city's money?

teaching kids that we all got along so nicely and crested Thanksgiving
No different then from teaching other kids how to self hate right? with things like CRT? WR?

Just like how they tried to hide everything they did to indigenous people
You can blame the previous Liberal governments for hiding what they did to the indigenous people and including the missing native women.

Do you think changing street names replacing statues is going to do anything to change the past? the answer is no.
Maybe actually finding those missing native women and bringing them actual justice would be at least a closer for the indigenous people.

But i doubt the far leftist govs in Canada would do anything of that. They only make nice promises and most of the time is just empty promises.

What good will canceling Canada's day celebration do or bring? nothing.

Last edited:
Yes like bending over to a people on a petition over a million in a city bending the knee to BLM? to change street names wasting city's money?

No different then from teaching other kids how to self hate right? with things like CRT? WR?

You can blame the previous Liberal governments for hiding what they did to the indigenous people and including the missing native women.

Do you think changing street names replacing statues is going to do anything to change the past? the answer is no.
Maybe actually finding those missing native women and bringing them actual justice would be at least a closer for the indigenous people.

But i doubt the far leftist govs in Canada would do anything of that. They only make nice promises and most of the time is just empty promises.

What good will canceling Canada's day celebration do or bring? nothing.

I blame all previous governments, not just liberal ones.. you think the cons were any better??

For example if i had scar on my body from a wound from the past what i can i do about that scar if it is bit deeper? there is nothing that i can do about my scar. Whatever or not i have scar that is not the point but the point i am trying to make is about the past.
You cant do or change anything with street naming or replacing statues. If they want their justice and closer they should keep pushing on the gov on the finding and bringing justice those native families who have lost their daughters, mothers native women as such.

That would be doing real social justice. Not this fake justice of tearing down statues or street renaming. Finding those responsible for those missing women would be like i said before like a closer for them if not most of them.

I asked a native student a few years ago? maybe 2? what they thought of this gov? they have nothing positive to say about it. They did mention how the Canadian Liberal gov is just making promises but never lives up to them to the native people. They only make the promises for election.

I dont see that changing.

Last edited:
Henry Dundas was once praised as abolitionist-aligned for having helped Joseph Knight win his freedom. Dundas also proposed a “gradual abolition of slavery” plan that would have ended slavery earlier if it had been implemented.

He also sent more British men to die in Haiti trying to conquer the Island (and likely re-institute slavery) than the British had sent to India to conquer the whole sub-continent. 500 thousand British soldiers lost their lives in Haiti in the middle of the Napoleonic wars; an extreme defeat, perhaps Britains worst during that era.

Henry Dundas was personally anti slavery, but Haiti was considered the most profitable colony in the Americas, and he assumed the French under Napoleon or the Spanish would take the colony if England didn’t. What they didn’t understand was that Toussaint Louverture (rebel leader in Haiti) was among the best generals and politicians of the era, and simply could not be beaten on his home turf.

The history surrounding Dundas’s life is fascinating and complex: moreso than is given credit for in the media.

Ran out of likes earlier but wanted to circle back because this was a really interesting post, never heard of this man until today. Great breakdown. Blown away by the 1/2 million figure.

Ran out of likes earlier but wanted to circle back because this was a really interesting post, never heard of this man until today. Great breakdown. Blown away by the 1/2 million figure.

Toussaint understood how to use yellow fever to his advantage. The invaders didn't have enough respect for the disease.

Toussaint also recognized that while his enemies numbers would dwindle, they (the Spanish, French, and British) would bribe and coerce his own men and play politics against him. So he mostly avoided direct battles or even small engagements, and focused on keeping his own house in order. It worked for years. The losses the Europeans piled up were nightmarish. Eventually, towards the end of his career, he was betrayed and captured. But the Europeans had ravaged Haiti by then, and all removing Toussaint did was destabilize the country further, in fact leading to the massacre of every white person who lived on the Island. They didn't realize Toussaint was actually holding back for the whole war, refusing to give in to racial hatred. Toussaint had close white friends who fought with him, he thought racism, anti-white or anti-black, was an abomination. His younger lieutenants didn't always agree. Once he was out of the picture, his men went wild.

Great podcast on the subject:
https://recordedhistory.net/the-age-of-napoleon/

and for a more scholarly look, google Tom Devine. He's the leading scholar on Henry Dundas's life.

Toussaint understood how to use yellow fever to his advantage. The invaders didn't have enough respect for the disease.

Toussaint also recognized that while his enemies numbers would dwindle, they (the Spanish, French, and British) would bribe and coerce his own men and play politics against him. So he mostly avoided direct battles or even small engagements, and focused on keeping his own house in order. It worked for years. The losses the Europeans piled up were nightmarish. Eventually, towards the end of his career, he was betrayed and captured. But the Europeans had ravaged Haiti by then, and all removing Toussaint did was destabilize the country further, in fact leading to the massacre of every white person who lived on the Island. They didn't realize Toussaint was actually holding back for the whole war, refusing to give in to racial hatred. Toussaint had close white friends who fought with him, he thought racism, anti-white or anti-black, was an abomination. His younger lieutenants didn't always agree. Once he was out of the picture, his men went wild.

Great podcast on the subject:
https://recordedhistory.net/the-age-of-napoleon/

and for a more scholarly look, google Tom Devine. He's the leading scholar on Henry Dundas's life.

Appreciate it, I'll give it a listen tomorrow at work.

"Why don't people wear suits on airplanes anymore
?!?!"

lol My mom made me get dressed up in my sunday best to go to the doctors when I was a kid.

Back