Clean & jerk

saffo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Any weigthlifter guru’s here?

Please check my form. Tips are very welcome.

This is my first week learning the technique, i have been watching Alan Thrall his guide.

You really need to work on your split on the jerk. Even if the weight is super light, my split is still going to be somewhat similar to at heavier weights. You looked uncomfortable trying to do the split, so I'm guessing it doesn't look much better at heavier weights.

You really need to work on your split on the jerk. Even if the weight is super light, my split is still going to be somewhat similar to at heavier weights. You looked uncomfortable trying to do the split, so I'm guessing it doesn't look much better at heavier weights.
What about the clean? Thanks for answering

You bend your arms too early. Think your hips rise a little too quick but I'd guess that's because your starting position could use some work.

You bend your arms too early. Think your hips rise a little too quick but I'd guess that's because your starting position could use some work.
Thanks for pointing that out

your clean looks pretty good.

you arent dropping under the jerk. it isnt a jerk, but a pushpress where you sort of land in a split, but the bar is smoothly, continuously pressed.

you have to drop yourself under the bar and catch it for a jerk.

I mean you have things to work on, but it looks a lot better than your jerk. I'd really just focus on that for a while.

Clean looks surprisingly good actually, considering the time you've spent.

Regarding the split jerk, there's a few issues. First thing is that the bar is rolling forward during the drive. It's only slight, but it's noticeable. This will cost you on the heavier weights so practice not letting your elbows drop too much during the dip, or whatever helps you keep that bar path straight. Secondly, as @Ultra O’Dia rightly pointed out, you're doing more of a jump with a push press. You want to land hard under the bar, timing the impact of your landing with the bar coming into full extension overhead. Not landing first, then pushpressing the last part of extension. Maybe if you make your split stance a little longer you'll have a bit more time in the air before reaching the floor, which might help your timing. It's short anyway, so play around with it.

Your overhead position, when you get to there, looks good though.

Last edited:
If you’re interested, there’s a series starting strength put out of tommy Suggs teaching the split jerk. He was one of the top Olympic lifters in the 60s and coached the international team too

Clean looks surprisingly good actually, considering the time you've spent.

Regarding the split jerk, there's a few issues. First thing is that the bar is rolling forward during the drive. It's only slight, but it's noticeable. This will cost you on the heavier weights so practice not letting your elbows drop too much during the dip, or whatever helps you keep that bar path straight. Secondly, as @Ultra O’Dia rightly pointed out, you're doing more of a jump with a push press. You want to land hard under the bar, timing the impact of your landing with the bar coming into full extension overhead. Not landing first, then pushpressing the last part of extension. Maybe if you make your split stance a little longer you'll have a bit more time in the air before reaching the floor, which might help your timing. It's short anyway, so play around with it.

Your overhead position, when you get to there, looks good though.
Man i should pay you for these tips. Thanks alot! I see that i have alot of work to do.

If you’re interested, there’s a series starting strength put out of tommy Suggs teaching the split jerk. He was one of the top Olympic lifters in the 60s and coached the international team too
I have only looked Alan Thrall his video’s but i will check Tommy’s video’s too. Thanks

This guy is an actual weightlifting coach. He's got a lot of good vids.

As others have mentioned, not too bad on the clean. My advice would be to look at some good, detailed breakdowns of this lift online and see if you can find a local coach. With that said, I prefer on cleans or snatches for athletes to start in high hang or "power" position in order to learn hip drive and keeping the bar close. Then go to hang (top of knee) then to floor. Your pull off the floor is fast and I would say slow that down a bit and focus on maintaining position/back angle as you pull off the floor and drive the bar up while avoiding going around the knees. Once you clear the knee, begin to accelerate/drive with force through the base of your feet (heels). But overall, the clean looks pretty good. Some early arm bend but your mobility looks pretty good.

Jerks definitely much more technical and I would focus on the footwork. Practice the dip/drive/land sequence with no barbell...then go to pvc, then light barbell. Dip/drive is a vertical movmement...avoid that push or lean forward (others mentioned bar rolling forward off front rack). But really, it's about the foot work and being able to push down under the bar in the receiving position.

Don McCauley is an excellent coach to look at online...Glenn Pendlay's cal strength vids are also great. Take your time and learn these movements at light loads. Enjoy the process and don't be in a rush to put weight on the bar. Your body will thank you and in the end, you'll be a much better lifter.

As others have mentioned, not too bad on the clean. My advice would be to look at some good, detailed breakdowns of this lift online and see if you can find a local coach. With that said, I prefer on cleans or snatches for athletes to start in high hang or "power" position in order to learn hip drive and keeping the bar close. Then go to hang (top of knee) then to floor. Your pull off the floor is fast and I would say slow that down a bit and focus on maintaining position/back angle as you pull off the floor and drive the bar up while avoiding going around the knees. Once you clear the knee, begin to accelerate/drive with force through the base of your feet (heels). But overall, the clean looks pretty good. Some early arm bend but your mobility looks pretty good.

Jerks definitely much more technical and I would focus on the footwork. Practice the dip/drive/land sequence with no barbell...then go to pvc, then light barbell. Dip/drive is a vertical movmement...avoid that push or lean forward (others mentioned bar rolling forward off front rack). But really, it's about the foot work and being able to push down under the bar in the receiving position.

Don McCauley is an excellent coach to look at online...Glenn Pendlay's cal strength vids are also great. Take your time and learn these movements at light loads. Enjoy the process and don't be in a rush to put weight on the bar. Your body will thank you and in the end, you'll be a much better lifter.
Thanks for this. Been doing powerlifting some years so i have bad habits when i try the snatch or cj but like you said i will not rush weigth. Great replay

Thanks for this. Been doing powerlifting some years so i have bad habits when i try the snatch or cj but like you said i will not rush weigth. Great replay

Far from an expert...it has taken me MANY years to get to where I'm at but at 51 years old, I'll take it and I'm happy with the progress. Last meet 2 weeks ago. 102kg. I compete as an 81kg 51-54 age group.

Far from an expert...it has taken me MANY years to get to where I'm at but at 51 years old, I'll take it and I'm happy with the progress. Last meet 2 weeks ago. 102kg. I compete as an 81kg 51-54 age group.

This is really impressive, keep going young man.

Well done man, nice second pull on the clean.

Hello, so i made a new video see link

So this time i did it with 60kg and i did bounce the weigth 2 times in the hole and this time again i did not put much power in the jerk since it is only 60kg. Have i gotten worse or better sensei?

Back