Clean & jerk

These look good to me

Most masters lifters use the split but you appear to have the squat down pretty well

You still need a lot of work on the split jerk.

You still need a lot of work on the split jerk.
That is very true. I have been focusing on the clean alot. I will focus on that this week i hope you will be active then because then i will make another video.

That is very true. I have been focusing on the clean alot. I will focus on that this week i hope you will be active then because then i will make another video.

Do you just feel uncomfortable doing the split? It's almost like you aren't really committing to it. Even when I do it with a bar, my split would be far more pronounced than that and I'll be much lower under the bar.

You may end up being someone that is more comfortable with power jerks instead of the split.

Do you just feel uncomfortable doing the split? It's almost like you aren't really committing to it. Even when I do it with a bar, my split would be far more pronounced than that and I'll be much lower under the bar.

You may end up being someone that is more comfortable with power jerks instead of the split.
You have a good analysis. To be honest i just do it to finish the lift at the moment. It is stupid of me but it just feels to light for me to make an real effort. I do these on the end of my training and focusing on the clean specifically. 2 weeks ago i started weigthlifting and i was so frustraded at how hard it is to do the clean correctly so since then that was my priority

You have a good analysis. To be honest i just do it to finish the lift at the moment. It is stupid of me but it just feels to light for me to make an real effort. I do these on the end of my training and focusing on the clean specifically. 2 weeks ago i started weigthlifting and i was so frustraded at how hard it is to do the clean correctly so since then that was my priority

Be careful with that. I was the same way, but now I can fail jerks that I clean. It's an easier lift to fumble through at first, but it's also pretty technical.

I'm a little rusty but...

Why did you bounce in the hole? Weight seemed super light and manageable. Like everyone said, the jerk needs work, and looks like it will hold you back. I would recommend not watching Allen Thrall for WL advice. I highly recommend finding a proper weightlifting coach and spending at least one session a week with them working on things. It will be worth it if you are interested in weightlifting. These are some drills that might assist you with the jerk. You def need to find the right split, and then reinforce it with repetition.

Jerk Ladder

Jerk Balance

Jerk Recovery

Drop To Split

Paused Jerk

Press In Split

Pusk Jerk In Split

Video displaying consistency on warmups and small jumps from arguably the best female WL'r of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYg_aM_J0g0

Well done man, nice second pull on the clean.
Thank you....Masters nationals in April next up. Hoping for a 180kg total. Snatches getting better (has taken forever). Have most to gain there for sure.

Hello, so i made a new video see link

So this time i did it with 60kg and i did bounce the weigth 2 times in the hole and this time again i did not put much power in the jerk since it is only 60kg. Have i gotten worse or better sensei?

You need footwork drills in the split...regardless if the weight is heavy or light you should always do the same thing...so no two bounces on cleans. On jerks, it's about the bar going up and you going down. If you added load, it would turn into a push press with a shallow split which in Olympic lifting is a red light.

Footwork...no bar, pvc, open bar. Look at the those other drills posted. All good stuff...

On the cleans, I feel you are too fast off the floor and you still have an early arm bend. The arms are attached to the bar and the legs and hips/glutes create power... arms are not used to pull weight up. Slow off the floor until you clear the knee, then accelerate with force through the hips, the bar will go up then actively pull yourself down under the bar. You do not pull up with your arms. Break that habit early...

Hello, so i made a new video see link

So this time i did it with 60kg and i did bounce the weigth 2 times in the hole and this time again i did not put much power in the jerk since it is only 60kg. Have i gotten worse or better sensei?

Too fast off the floor, first pull should be patient and smooth into the explosive second pull. You almost appear to be prancing. Also early arm bend. You're pulling the bar up instead of going underneath it. Fine with light weights but as they get heavy you will stall. Are you hook gripping the bar? I suggest doing that as well. It will help you as the weights get heavier. Also don't double bounce out of the hole with light weights. Creates bad movement patterns and muscle memory. Pause if you need to but don't bounce.

Too fast off the floor, first pull should be patient and smooth into the explosive second pull. You almost appear to be prancing. Also early arm bend. You're pulling the bar up instead of going underneath it. Fine with light weights but as they get heavy you will stall. Are you hook gripping the bar? I suggest doing that as well. It will help you as the weights get heavier. Also don't double bounce out of the hole with light weights. Creates bad movement patterns and muscle memory. Pause if you need to but don't bounce.
Holy shit great tip about pulling too fast on the floor. I will make new video soon, i think it has been improved alot now

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Watched at .25x speed a few times. Your arms bend before you even break the floor, like you're anticipating pulling the weight with your arms at the second pull. I'd say actively engage your triceps until the second pull to remedy this. This is also where hook grip would help as it just feels funny rowing with that grip. Also work on triple extension, hip knee and ankle. Might be because the weight is light but youre barely extending anything when you jump, it's very compact. You want your hips and knees to extend with such force that youre looking at the ceiling or close to it at maximum extension. You want your hips to open and legs straighten violently and completely at the top of the last pull. And don't underestimate the importance of good ankle extension. Remember the clean is a jump, you wouldn't jump flat footed or with very weak ankle extension right? Your stance also looks kinda narrow but it's hard to tell from the video angle tbh. Better than the previous vids. Progress, not perfection is my motto.

Watched at .25x speed a few times. Your arms bend before you even break the floor, like you're anticipating pulling the weight with your arms at the second pull. I'd say actively engage your triceps until the second pull to remedy this. This is also where hook grip would help as it just feels funny rowing with that grip. Also work on triple extension, hip knee and ankle. Might be because the weight is light but youre barely extending anything when you jump, it's very compact. You want your hips and knees to extend with such force that youre looking at the ceiling or close to it at maximum extension. You want your hips to open and legs straighten violently and completely at the top of the last pull. And don't underestimate the importance of good ankle extension. Remember the clean is a jump, you wouldn't jump flat footed or with very weak ankle extension right? Your stance also looks kinda narrow but it's hard to tell from the video angle tbh. Better than the previous vids. Progress, not perfection is my motto.
Thanks for the tips. So on the second lift the triple extension is it ok that the bar touches my thighs? I think i should give weigthlifting a day instead of doing it at the end of my training

Thanks for the tips. So on the second lift the triple extension is it ok that the bar touches my thighs? I think i should give weigthlifting a day instead of doing it at the end of my training
Yes, in fact that helps propel the bar

Some good tips and observations above. Couple of things.

Set up - from the floor is very important. The reference of active triceps above yes but you should be actively engaging the lats and pulling back on the bar (pulling/sweeping it into your body as the bar rises off the floor). Create tension in the setup!....then the pull off the floor is really driving through your heels to move the bar off the floor. You do not use your arms...they are just attached to the bar with tension. With the weight being light, you are "doing what you want" to it because you can. If I loaded you up with a 90% load that arm pull would not happen...and you would not have the leg drive needed.

Also, you are not reaching extension at the top of the lift. The hips need to fully open up at the top...this is all hard to explain...

Video for reference the other night. Slow down the clean to 1/4 speed and see if it helps with my explanation about leg drive and hips and extension. Yes, I bend my arms a little but that is just so I'm able to elevate the bar to my hips/contact point before full extension. You can see they bend, but I'm not pulling on the bar. I'm driving the bar up with power from my legs. My jerks/footwork was a little off here but this is 95kg, which is what I opened up at for my last meet so I was happy with it overall.

Above, footwork - just to be clear on jerk recovery it should be forward leg slides back first then back leg. On this night, the platform was slick and my back leg kept sliding out on me so I was recovering it first. Don't imitate that in your jerks...it was just one of those nights.

Above, footwork - just to be clear on jerk recovery it should be forward leg slides back first then back leg. On this night, the platform was slick and my back leg kept sliding out on me so I was recovering it first. Don't imitate that in your jerks...it was just one of those nights.
Hello friend, see my new video. If you still have time i welcome feedback. I am doing these after my training so my explosiveness is gone :p

Hello friend, see my new video. If you still have time i welcome feedback. I am doing these after my training so my explosiveness is gone :p

Much better on the pull from the floor and not pulling early with arms.

Another tip - when you set up on the bar, create tension. Take the slack out of the bar...which means you engage your lats and think about pinching shoulder blades together. This should also turn on your low back muscles. Once you feel this tension and begin the lift, all you should be doing is driving your feet through the floor with base of foot (mid to heel, no toes).

Overall, this looks a lot better than a couple weeks ago. Nice work

Not a weightlifting expert by any means, but I would consider working on getting a better rack position (elbows high) and keep a more vertical torso through the first pull.

Back