CLETO REYES Gloves Honest Review from an HONEST Guy

Consider spraying some of TS's cologne on your headguard to make it last 10 years longer.

Heyy, what do you mean by spraying some ot TS’s cologne?

So there is no big problem that the lace is missing and I can replace it by just random diffrent lace? Thanks a lot Guys

I have the black cleto reyes headgear with the facesaver and the top lace is just a black shoelace.

what gloves have the best smell? cleto? i have sabas and they smell like cowshed.
I have Boxeo (goatskin), they smell good. is it because goatskin?

what gloves have the best smell? cleto? i have sabas and they smell like cowshed.
I have Boxeo (goatskin), they smell good. is it because goatskin?

it's all subjective, some people like the smell of Cletos but other people dislike it, and some other people don't even smell them at all

Ordered a pair of Reyes hybrids in L (listed as 16 to 18oz, actual weight: 19.4 and 19.5oz). Finally got to open them last night. WAY more snug than my old 16oz velcros. Hard to believe, but they're actually pretty sleek, just built very solid & heavy.

Took some time to do some comparisons with other gloves in the arsenal:

Defining terms (unless otherwise qualified):
width/wider = overall glove width
length/longer = overall glove length
stoutness/stout = length of striking surface covering big knuckles (at base of finger) to smaller (mid-finger) knuckles

vs Boon 16 oz velcro (old logo): the Boons are wider, the length are almost exact. The gloves are shaped different so the striking surface is hard to compare. The Boons are more round while the Reyes are more flat. The Reyes are more stout and may be more wide at the point of impact. The Boons look like the bulkier glove imho. In the pocket with no wraps, the Boons are wider and fit more loose over the palm. The Boons are also longer, with a little extra space at the fingertips. Over the knuckles, the Boons are medium snug over all the knuckles, while the Reyes are slightly less snug over the index knuckle.

vs Winning 16 oz laceup (received Jan 2019): the Winnings are a bit wider, the Reyes are a bit longer. The shapes of the gloves are different but Reyes might have the larger striking surface as they are a bit more stout. In the pocket with no wraps, the Winnings feel a little bit wider, especially at the base of the palm. Reyes has the longer pocket: the fingertip of my middle finger is poking through the leather on the Winning, while not as pronounced on the Reyes. Over the knuckles, the Winnings are medium snug over all the knuckles, while the Reyes are slightly less snug over the index knuckle. The Winning grip bar sits a little low for my tastes; below the callouses, and kind of hard to grip while the Reyes grip bar feels the most substantial of all the models in this comparison. The way the padding sits when I make a fist in the Winnings doesn't encourage landing on the big knuckles so I have only used them on the bags once (pretty much exclusively just sparring). The Reyes are pretty much the opposite; the reason for the more stout striking surface is (imho) to encourage landing on the big knuckles.

vs Sabas Pro series 16 oz velcro (from 2018): the Reyes are wider, the Sabas are longer. The striking surfaces are very comparable due to similar shapes, with Reyes being wider by maybe 1/2 inch. With no wraps, very comparable pockets around the palm area. Sabas is snug around all the knuckles (particularly the index), while the Reyes is a tiny bit loser around the index knuckle. Reyes has the longer pocket, as the tip of my middle finger is stretching out the Sabas.

vs Sabas Prime series 16 oz 360 velcro (from 2018): similar to the other Sabas comparison, with more of a pronounced difference in striking surface width. Reyes has the longer pocket, again my middle fingertip is stretching out the Prime. With no wraps, there's space over the index knuckle in the Prime (this glove is essentially a narrower, velcro version of my old Grants) - this is nowhere near as pronounced in the Reyes.

All the pocket fits are somewhat inexact as the other gloves are broken in already. I know it's a bit iffy to compare hybrids (with laces) to velcros, but I tried to pick similar-sized gloves that other people might have experience with.

These hybrids are so nice, I'm seriously considering (re)trying out some of the rest of the Reyes product line. They are going to take a while to break in, but I really love Reyes' leather & padding once they are broken in. Those 2 Sabas pairs in particular had very long & miserable break-in periods - I don't see these going that bad. My M-size Reyes hybrids were great from the beginning and only got better. I'm a little worried that there will be some stretch-out as these gloves break in. I feel like that's what happened with the 16oz reyes velcros, but in that case it was the elastic band securing the hand-pocket that might've stretched out too much, making them too lose with normal wraps.

re smell: While strong out of the box, I like the Reyes leather smell once it's weakened a bit. One thing I love about Cleto Reyes is that the liners inside don't start to stink very quickly, even with daily use - not like other gloves I've owned.

i bought cleto reyes offical fight gloves very strong leather smells how does it go away ?

Last edited:
i bought cleto reyes offical fight very strong leather smells how does it go away ?
Time, mostly, and ventilation.
I opened my gloves on Friday night and already the smell has diminished.
My older Reyes gloves have almost no leather smell.
You may want to try wiping down the gloves with leather conditioner, it could reduce the smell.

Ordered a pair of Reyes hybrids in L (listed as 16 to 18oz, actual weight: 19.4 and 19.5oz). Finally got to open them last night. WAY more snug than my old 16oz velcros. Hard to believe, but they're actually pretty sleek, just built very solid & heavy.

Took some time to do some comparisons with other gloves in the arsenal:

Defining terms (unless otherwise qualified):
width/wider = overall glove width
length/longer = overall glove length
stoutness/stout = length of striking surface covering big knuckles (at base of finger) to smaller (mid-finger) knuckles

vs Boon 16 oz velcro (old logo): the Boons are wider, the length are almost exact. The gloves are shaped different so the striking surface is hard to compare. The Boons are more round while the Reyes are more flat. The Reyes are more stout and may be more wide at the point of impact. The Boons look like the bulkier glove imho. In the pocket with no wraps, the Boons are wider and fit more loose over the palm. The Boons are also longer, with a little extra space at the fingertips. Over the knuckles, the Boons are medium snug over all the knuckles, while the Reyes are slightly less snug over the index knuckle.

vs Winning 16 oz laceup (received Jan 2019): the Winnings are a bit wider, the Reyes are a bit longer. The shapes of the gloves are different but Reyes might have the larger striking surface as they are a bit more stout. In the pocket with no wraps, the Winnings feel a little bit wider, especially at the base of the palm. Reyes has the longer pocket: the fingertip of my middle finger is poking through the leather on the Winning, while not as pronounced on the Reyes. Over the knuckles, the Winnings are medium snug over all the knuckles, while the Reyes are slightly less snug over the index knuckle. The Winning grip bar sits a little low for my tastes; below the callouses, and kind of hard to grip while the Reyes grip bar feels the most substantial of all the models in this comparison. The way the padding sits when I make a fist in the Winnings doesn't encourage landing on the big knuckles so I have only used them on the bags once (pretty much exclusively just sparring). The Reyes are pretty much the opposite; the reason for the more stout striking surface is (imho) to encourage landing on the big knuckles.

vs Sabas Pro series 16 oz velcro (from 2018): the Reyes are wider, the Sabas are longer. The striking surfaces are very comparable due to similar shapes, with Reyes being wider by maybe 1/2 inch. With no wraps, very comparable pockets around the palm area. Sabas is snug around all the knuckles (particularly the index), while the Reyes is a tiny bit loser around the index knuckle. Reyes has the longer pocket, as the tip of my middle finger is stretching out the Sabas.

vs Sabas Prime series 16 oz 360 velcro (from 2018): similar to the other Sabas comparison, with more of a pronounced difference in striking surface width. Reyes has the longer pocket, again my middle fingertip is stretching out the Prime. With no wraps, there's space over the index knuckle in the Prime (this glove is essentially a narrower, velcro version of my old Grants) - this is nowhere near as pronounced in the Reyes.

All the pocket fits are somewhat inexact as the other gloves are broken in already. I know it's a bit iffy to compare hybrids (with laces) to velcros, but I tried to pick similar-sized gloves that other people might have experience with.

These hybrids are so nice, I'm seriously considering (re)trying out some of the rest of the Reyes product line. They are going to take a while to break in, but I really love Reyes' leather & padding once they are broken in. Those 2 Sabas pairs in particular had very long & miserable break-in periods - I don't see these going that bad. My M-size Reyes hybrids were great from the beginning and only got better. I'm a little worried that there will be some stretch-out as these gloves break in. I feel like that's what happened with the 16oz reyes velcros, but in that case it was the elastic band securing the hand-pocket that might've stretched out too much, making them too lose with normal wraps.

re smell: While strong out of the box, I like the Reyes leather smell once it's weakened a bit. One thing I love about Cleto Reyes is that the liners inside don't start to stink very quickly, even with daily use - not like other gloves I've owned.
What other gloves you own that stink?
I have rival and they stink easily. While sabas and boxeo don't stink.
I need to know because i hate stinky gloves.

Of the top of my head, the ones I've had that have stunk include:
Ringsides (Ultimate Cassics & IMFs)
Tufgear/Tufwear (really old pair of laceups)
Title (oversized - 23/24oz)
Shevlin (only the old school bag gloves)
Top Ten (Superfight, but not the 3000s - the older model with the double velcro straps that have no piping)
American Stand Up (velcro)
Rival RB20

They look not less then awesome!! some clean cool design.
By the way i have liked also your 'bleu the channel'. Great perfume :p

what do you think reyes printed logo issue ? is your gloves easily peeling off? i did dutch drills only five times inside gloves starts leather rip i used this gloves only one month

Attachments

• 5EF16D44-7097-4349-8B7C-1C910CC35F69.jpeg
    5EF16D44-7097-4349-8B7C-1C910CC35F69.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 5FDDC607-3887-45A6-9699-A9C117FD11E6.jpeg
    5FDDC607-3887-45A6-9699-A9C117FD11E6.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 24
  • E13879D9-9AEE-42F9-B078-9EA841299AF3.jpeg
    E13879D9-9AEE-42F9-B078-9EA841299AF3.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 009E9AF0-B984-4C56-8A56-063547F82E86.jpeg
    009E9AF0-B984-4C56-8A56-063547F82E86.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 23
what do you think reyes printed logo issue ? is your gloves easily peeling off? i did dutch drills only five times inside gloves starts leather rip i used this gloves only one month
you often get the logo's peeling on these

The piping getting destroyed that badly after 1 month of use is a bit worrying. The only pair I have with piping that shows damage like that is from 2014 and I've probably put more rounds on that pair than any other.

What type of glove maintenance are you folks doing? Do you wipe them down or dry them after use? Store them with glove dogs? Do you air them out or leave them in your gym bag? What kind of gym bag (well ventilated)? Do you rotate your gloves ever? Leather care products? Disinfecting wipes?

how to repair gloves piping can i use red duck tape . 91E5B7B2-F604-40DC-89CA-FABAC100E682.jpeg

Little update
I kept hurting my upper back in January. I was shadow boxing with egg weights & using the hybrids at the time, so I cut out the egg weights. That helped a bit, but when it happened again I took another look at the gloves. Those L hybrids absorb sweat & I sweat a lot. After the end of a workout, I weighed them at over 22oz each by the time I got back home (old fashioned scale at the gym looked like 1.5lbs => 24oz). Since then, I've packed them away in case I need a heavier glove for sparring and I've been thinking about getting a pair of 16s.

With all this free time from the quarantine & missing the gym I thought about my old Reyes 16s in velcro - the ones I liked at first, but then felt they were too wide. Broke them back out and noticed 2 things:
1. they've kind of fallen apart in storage - liners and piping all went bad
2. the elastic around the palm looked like it failed - this is probably why they went from "okay" to "super loose"

It was either attempt to fix them up, or throw them out. I couldn't see anybody buying them and everybody had declined trading for them. Had some extra laces lying around and decided to convert my velcro gloves to hybrids.

Here's what I was able to come up with:
ZWGMyr8.jpg

Note: the white parts around the lace holes are actually silver paint that I used to mark where to punch the holes.

So far, they fit pretty nice, but I haven't been able to hit anything with them yet.

how to repair gloves piping can i use red duck tape . View attachment 725395
I've worked with leather (top quality italian leather for bags, shoes etc.) for almost 10 years so I know a bit about it and I can tell you that: piping on your gloves is not made of leather or it is a very low quality split leather laminated. Good quality top grain leather is dyed throughout and there is no outer layer that could peel off so easily like the red paint of the piping of your gloves.

So it is a little strange because everybody is saying that Reyes' quality is top notch, especially leather is great. It seems to me that it's not the case. If your gloves are original then the picture clearly shows that Reyes uses some crappy materials at least for piping.

The piping is lower quality than the rest of the glove. The rep is earned because the rest of the glove is just that good.

I still would be VERY surprised if the gloves in that picture were actually 1 month old. I have gloves years older that look much newer.

The piping is lower quality than the rest of the glove. The rep is earned because the rest of the glove is just that good.

I still would be VERY surprised if the gloves in that picture were actually 1 month old. I have gloves years older that look much newer.

I have had two pairs of Reyes now that were both in new shape and I can attest, the piping is absolutely trash on these. They aren’t real leather. It’s a felt backed vinyl and it peels like crazy. One pair was so bad that I ended up using tape to just rip everything off. I ended up taping the glove off and painting diluted Plasti Dip onto the piping. It was pretty effective. Absorbed into the felt the first two coats and then layered it up to a relatively nice finish. The current training gloves I have now have been used maybe 10-15 times and the piping is peeling, the thumb attachment is ripping on both gloves, and Reyes is offering no help. I’m never buying their gloves again. I think BGV9’s are the next purchase if I want a Mexican style glove.

I'm in the process of experimenting with a new pair of Reyes. I'm going to try to use them everyday for a month. Usually, I rotate my gloves to avoid the sweat damaging the materials. I'll post an update on the piping. So far though, I really can't imagine piping breaking down that quickly with proper care. I use glovedogs regularly and air my gloves out after every workout.

Back