Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" vs "Ringside" Cleto Reyes Training Gloves?

ECS123

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" Training Gloves vs "Ringside" Cleto Reyes Training Gloves.

Ok, here is the information that I obtained in reference to the on going debate as to which gloves are better, the Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" Training Gloves or the "Ringside" Cleto Reyes Training Gloves. The information was obtained from the following sources:

* Cleto Reyes Boxing in Mexico.
* Ringside Boxing in USA. (Officially Authorized Cleto Reyes USA Distributor).
* Lockwood’s Industries in USA. (Officially Authorized Cleto Reyes USA Distributor).
* Note: Information that I was able to obtain from the above sources came directly from the Owner/Operator of the business (ie., not Customer Service). *

Most of the information that I have read in reference to the difference between the Cleto Reyes “Mexican Market” Training Gloves and the “Ringside Boxing” Cleto Reyes Training Gloves, although well intended, appears to be a result of speculation and misinformation. Cleto Reyes Boxing Gloves are handmade in Mexico by Cleto Reyes Boxing. Cleto Reyes Boxing has two officially authorized USA distributors for their products. Ringside Boxing in Kansas, and Lockwood’s Industries in California. Both locations import their gloves from Cleto Reyes in Mexico.

Here is the conversation that I had with Ringside Boxing:

Q: (Me). I know that you are an Authorized Distributor for Cleto Reyes Gloves that are made in Mexico. Can you tell me, what, if any difference there is in the Cleto Reyes Training Gloves in 16oz. Lace Ups, that Ringside sells, and the ones that are being sold as, Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" Gloves here in the USA? Thanks again.

A: (Ringside Boxing). Hi, we are not sure what you mean by “Mexican Market Gloves in the USA” but we can confirm that to date the Reyes equipment we offer is authentic and comes directly from Reyes’ factory in Mexico. Hope this helps!

A: (Me). Thank you. That confirms what I thought.

Some of the speculation about differences in the gloves may be a result of glove designs being updated by Cleto Reyes. For example, the gloves that are marked on the back of the hand area with the words, “Hecho En Mexico” were discontinued two years ago by Cleto Reyes, and updated with the words, “Cleto Reyes Hecho En Mexico”, and on the cuff area, with the words, “Cleto Reyes Professional Hecho En Mexico.” Other differences may be the result of gloves coming through with double or triple tone leather colors. And, another may be a result of outdated “stock” photos being used on some websites. I have also read posts where people are comparing the outside overall size and padding composition on gloves of different models within the Cleto Reyes brand, to make the argument that there are differences between the “Mexican Market” and “USA Market” gloves.

That is not to say that there are not small business owners traveling to Mexico, and bringing back gloves to sell in the USA. However, they all originate from the Cleto Reyes factory in Mexico, and to the best of my knowledge and research, within a specific glove model, Cleto Reyes does not make a different glove for being marketed in Mexico, than they do for the ones sold to official USA distributors. So, are the Ringside Cleto Reyes gloves legit? Yes, yes, they are, and any difference you may see, originates from the Cleto Reyes factory in Mexico, and are not special specification USA only gloves, sold by Ringside Boxing.

I hope that this helps.

Ps. I recently purchased, and received a pair of Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" Training Gloves in 16oz., in Blue color, Lace Ups, from an Ebay seller, "Mexicanfightgear", and the gloves are absolutely beautiful. The workmanship is outstanding. And, just for the record the seller's customer service is great.

:icon_chee

Last edited:
I don't even train boxing but I gotta say ECS123 is a real resource to the G&E. Nice job.

yes, good job doing the research. i already thought this was the case, but people like to make up myths about the gloves being different.

I don't even train boxing but I gotta say ECS123 is a real resource to the G&E. Nice job.

Agreed. Guys like him, Cody, Punishment, Clamp, and others really put the extra effort into providing detailed info.

Thanks for the research, ECS!

I have a pair of Ringside Cletos and they are much different than the current Cletos on ebay. Maybe an design change?

Thanks for another informative post mate.

How do they compare to the Winnings? :D

Initial impressions are that they are both really nice, very well made gloves, just very different in design. They are wider laterally speaking than the Winning gloves (which are on the wide side as it is) and the knuckle padding extends well out over the top of thumb and first two knuckle striking areas. There is ample padding in my opinion, it is just denser, as far as compressability. The leather on the glove mitt part is also considerably stiffer, and IMHO, should take longer to break in, however, I believe they will be long lasting gloves, as far as it pertains to service life. Both are really nice gloves.

Thanks for another informative post mate. :D

yes, good job doing the research. i already thought this was the case, but people like to make up myths about the gloves being different.

Agreed. Guys like him, Cody, Punishment, Clamp, and others really put the extra effort into providing detailed info.

Thanks for the research, ECS!

Thanks for the positive comments. They are very much appreciated.

I have a pair of Ringside Cletos and they are much different than the current Cletos on ebay. Maybe an design change?

That is probably the most likely answer. Since Ringside is a distributor, they probably purchase in large quantities for price and supply reasons. I believe they share a warehouse with CSI, and I think most people would be amazed at the stock numbers they keep.

When I purchased my (filled) Fairtex HB6 Heavy Bag from CSI, a while back, before I made the purchase I inquired about stock levels, just to be sure they had some in stock, when I made the purchase. The CS guy said, it was showing they had a little over 1,100 in stock. :icon_lol:

I forgot where I read this info, maybe here at sherdog forums, but I read that today's updated U.S. Reyes are just as good, or better than the Mexican Market Reyes, in terms of similarity and fit.

The previous model of the U.S. Reyes weren't getting good reviews based on the fit. Many people have said that the previous model were very different than the MM Reyes.

Of course they are legit Reyes gloves. But why don't they sell the Reyes gloves that you can purchase in Mexico? They look different, they feel different. In Mexico you won't find those Ringside Reyes gloves, they don't have them there. So that's the real question. Why in the US, Europe etc. they are selling different Reyes than they are selling in Mexico? Not whether they are legit or not. I don't think anybody would think that Ringside is selling fake gear.

Also the guy you bought the Reyes gloves from basically confirms what we've been saying all along: "THESE ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN MEXICO NOT FOR EXPORT".

Also the guy you bought the Reyes gloves from basically confirms what we've been saying all along: "THESE ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN MEXICO NOT FOR EXPORT".

That information, though well intended, may not be completey factually accurate. They may be sold in Mexico, and not officially intended for USA import, however, they are the same gloves that are officially imported into the USA. Trust me.

Obviously they're not, look at the pictures and you'll be able to tell the difference. ;)
They look and feel different. Even inside the gloves (tag) it says "...Ringside...". They are different from the Reyes they sell in Mexico, you can't deny that fact based on that Ringside statement. They didn't really tell you anything except that the Reyes gloves they're selling are from Cleto Reyes, which is fairly obvious. They didn't deny nor confirm that they sell different Reyes in Mexico, which is silly because like i said inside the glove they have the Ringside tags. Reyes is not selling Reyes gloves with Ringside tags inside of them in Mexico. So it's obvious that Ringside is getting different gloves.

I forgot where I read this info, maybe here at sherdog forums, but I read that today's updated U.S. Reyes are just as good, or better than the Mexican Market Reyes, in terms of similarity and fit.

The previous model of the U.S. Reyes weren't getting good reviews based on the fit. Many people have said that the previous model were very different than the MM Reyes.

After I started doing some research on the topic, I read everything that I could find, and I would have to say that the a considerable majority of it fell into the category of "explainable" as far as some of the concerns. Several people complained about the size of the hand pockets in their discussions as being "huge." After reading on they stated that they were 5'3'' tall and weighted 135 lbs. One person that said the hand pockets were really big went on to say, they were about the same height and weight, and that they had to admit they have hands and I quote directly, "the size of a 12 year old girl." Which lead me to wonder if the hand pockets really were all that "huge". Someone else went on to talk about the hand pocket size, and then stated they did not always wear "handwraps." Things like that begin to make you wonder, if it may not be a matter of perception.

Obviously they're not, look at the pictures and you'll be able to tell the difference. ;)
They look and feel different. Even inside the gloves (tag) it says "...Ringside...". They are different from the Reyes they sell in Mexico, you can't deny that fact based on that Ringside statement. They didn't really tell you anything except that the Reyes gloves they're selling are from Cleto Reyes, which is fairly obvious. They didn't deny nor confirm that they sell different Reyes in Mexico, which is silly because like i said inside the glove they have the Ringside tags. Reyes is not selling Reyes gloves with Ringside tags inside of them in Mexico. So it's obvious that Ringside is getting different gloves.

Ringside may get gloves with three tone colors as opposed to two, and they may even have "Ringside" tags sewn inside. But, trust me the gloves being sold as "Mexican Market" are the same gloves as the ones Reyes makes for "USA" import. I can personally vouch for that.

Ringside may get gloves with three tone colors as opposed to two, and they may even have "Ringside" tags sewn inside. But, trust me the gloves being sold as "Mexican Market" are the same gloves as the ones Reyes makes for "USA" import. I can personally vouch for that.

Let's just agree to disagree. It's just not the same glove they're selling in Mexico, it's just not. It's a Reyes glove, but not the Mexican version. You won't find the mexican Reyes at Ringside and you won't find the Ringside Reyes in Mexico.

Ringside Reyes:
RETR_3_m.jpg

Mexican Reyes:
ff0295.jpg

Let's just agree to disagree. It's just not the same glove they're selling in Mexico, it's just not. It's a Reyes glove, but not the Mexican version. You won't find the mexican Reyes at Ringside and you won't find the Ringside Reyes in Mexico.

Ringside Reyes:
RETR_3_m.jpg

Mexican Reyes:
ff0295.jpg

Some of the speculation about differences in the gloves may be a result of glove designs being updated by Cleto Reyes. For example, the gloves that are marked on the back of the hand area with the words,

Last edited:
Back