Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" vs "Ringside" Cleto Reyes Training Gloves?

I agree, the whole Mexican market VS. Ringside is just a bunch of nonsense. I ordered my Cletos from Lockwoods Boxing, and they are absolutely superb. They definitely do have a large hand pocket, but ever since I got knuckle guards, they fit perfectly. It's absolute nonsense to order the Cletos from Ringside for $180 when they can be had for $130-150, or possibly even less.

I don tknow i have 2 pairs of reyes gloves that I bought 2 years ago and the padding is super dense nice and firm and then i ordered another paid last month, the new ones are total crap the padding is sooooo soft, like the total opposite of the original cleto reyes punchers style gloves. Its like a lower quality glove all together. did anyone else notice this because its a glaring difference, it feels like its just a sponge below the leather.

The Reyes Ive had and felt in the last couple years have very soft padding, they used to be quite a bit stiffer from what I'd seen

The Reyes Ive had and felt in the last couple years have very soft padding, they used to be quite a bit stiffer from what I'd seen

so thats the new style of gloves really? there terrible man what the hell happened? any idea

I emailed reyes, they said that they haven't changed anything but the logo..

Here's an answer to this exact question taken from the Ringside/CSI questions thread:

I've got a question for the Ringside guys; on these forums there has been speculation for years that there is a difference between the Cleto Reyes training gloves sold in Mexico and the Cleto Reyes training gloves sold by Ringside.

Can you settle the issue once and for all? Are there any differences?

Blair this is a tough question for us to answer. We have asked Reyes about this in the past and they have assured us they are the same. We have never went to Mexico and bought a pair but I have to take the Reyes family at their word.

Dennis

From this thread: All Ringside Combat Sports Gear Questions Post Here

Does anyone know why some of the reyes gloves come with two tone colours like blue with black palm, yello with black palm etc.... Then you get some gloves that are all blue or all yellow.

It's my understanding that all the Reyes come from the same factory in Mexico, but some are manufactured for people like Ringside or Sugar Rays in the UK in a 2 tone colour scheme, whereas most are simply manufactured in a single colour.

I think some Ebay sellers may have tried to convince people that there were some sort of special "Mexican market Reyes" to get more sales, when in fact the gloves are the same.

Of course, the real advantage to buying from those sellers is simply the cheaper price most of the time.

I've used 16oz Reyes from Mexicanfightgear and 16oz gloves from Lockwoods boxing and noticed no difference personally.

I emailed reyes, they said that they haven't changed anything but the logo..

i emailed them swell and included pictures of my gloves and the serial number reyes said they are real and they dont make different gloves for US and Mexico but these glvoes are crap, i have 3 pairs prior so im not losing my mind. I can squeeze the padding and touch my two fingers together on any part of the glove. all my old reyes gloves are very firm, leather very tight but these glvoes have loose leather and the padding idont know im going to break my hands and these arent going to last long. so maybe they just downgraded their product which i doubt.

Idk guys I bought a pair of 16oz reyes from MEXICANFIGHTGEAR and I gotta say these are the tightest sparring i've ever owned! Im only 5'11"about 175 pounds so definitely not the biggest guy and I couldn't imagine anybody much bigger fitting in them. My finger tips are literally touching the end of the glove. Theyre definitely not wide either. I love them I fell like they were cus tom made for me. I sold my winning ms 600 after getting these.

Idk guys I bought a pair of 16oz reyes from MEXICANFIGHTGEAR and I gotta say these are the tightest sparring i've ever owned! Im only 5'11"about 175 pounds so definitely not the biggest guy and I couldn't imagine anybody much bigger fitting in them. My finger tips are literally touching the end of the glove. Theyre definitely not wide either. I love them I fell like they were cus tom made for me. I sold my winning ms 600 after getting these.

I think that the Reyes 16oz are actually the widest glove I've used. I'm your exact size basically.

All I know that my Reyes from 2009 ......very stiff.
Reyes from 2013..........super soft.

The early gloves , I could cut you.
The new ones.....I could put dents in your head .....and maybe my knuckles !

finally I got some finsight from the reyes facebook page. I asked them about my gloves and why are they so soft, so soft i would probably break my hand. they told me that they have 4 different kinds of padding they use to make the gloves and that the serial number specifies this. I am going to try to find out what the number is for the dense padding, so all us old school cleto reyes boys can get the og gloves back

Interdasting .......did they tell you what numbers correspond to what and how to order certain numbers ?

no they havent yet and I have never ever heard that before, but i am harassing them untill I get an answer. There must be safetec padding and the original padding so I wonder what the other 2 are. But if thats true it answers all the questions about dif types of gloves

That's a total rubbish. Yes, Reyes use different padding. But only in their fight gloves (safetec/horsehair) and AIBA (molded foam). Their training gloves all have the same latex and the different density of it is because the gloves are handcrafted and the nature of latex - even the 2 gloves in a single pair are sometimes softer/denser comparing to each other. Filling gloves with latex is totally different from using IMF - very often the gloves are not of the same density. Very usual in case of Reyes.
So, the 4 kinds of padding are: 1) latex (sparring/training/bag gloves - lace up and velcro), 2) horsehair (fight gloves), 3) safetec (fight gloves), 4) molded foam (AIBA gloves).
Guys, stop confusing people. Reyes training/sparring gloves are all latex, but it is common with Reyes they do not feel all the same, but you cannot find out it other way than trying a particular pair.
Solved.

Last edited:
That's a total rubbish. Yes, Reyes use different padding. But only in their fight gloves (safetec/horsehair) and AIBA (molded foam). Their training gloves all have the same latex and the different density of it is because the gloves are handcrafted and the nature of latex - even the 2 gloves in a single pair are sometimes softer/denser comparing to each other. Filling gloves with latex is totally different from using IMF - very often the gloves are not of the same density. Very usual in case of Reyes.
So, the 4 kinds of padding are: 1) latex (sparring/training/bag gloves - lace up and velcro), 2) horsehair (fight gloves), 3) safetec (fight gloves), 4) molded foam (AIBA gloves).
Guys, stop confusing people. Reyes training/sparring gloves are all latex, but it is common with Reyes they do not feel all the same, but you cannot find out it other way than trying a particular pair.
Solved.

yeah anyways, you are right i understand what your saying. but my recently purchased reyes gloves i can bunch up with with one hand and it iwll fit in the palm of my hand. i have 4 pairs grants 3 winnings and 2 reyes so if you think im some goof who doesnt know anything about gloves you can think that but doesnt mean you are right. this is all information that reyes has told me not stuff that i researched online. when one glove is total mush and the other is the hardest padding ive ever felt in a glove i doubt its a varying design flaw because they are handmade.
solved bro

yeah anyways, you are right i understand what your saying. but my recently purchased reyes gloves i can bunch up with with one hand and it iwll fit in the palm of my hand. i have 4 pairs grants 3 winnings and 2 reyes so if you think im some goof who doesnt know anything about gloves you can think that but doesnt mean you are right. this is all information that reyes has told me not stuff that i researched online. when one glove is total mush and the other is the hardest padding ive ever felt in a glove i doubt its a varying design flaw because they are handmade.
solved bro

This is unfortunately typical Reyes... Used to have several pairs. One pair of extra padded (supposed to have 2" padding over knuckles) had totally different right X left - right weighted 17.5 oz. instead of 16, the left one weighted about 15 oz instead of 16. The right one had a good volume of padding over knuckles and it was of fine density - neither soft nor much dense, however the left one had about the same volume of padding over knuckles as normal Reyes 16 oz. (not extra padded) - about 60% volume of the right glove padding over knuckles, moreover the padding in the left glove was way softer than the right. So the result was one heavy well padded right glove, one shitty padded much lighter left glove.
No, mate, I did not think you are not experienced with gloves. And I fully understand your disappointment - as I mentioned above I had a similar experience with Reyes padding...
And as for the Reyes respond... maybe Reyes just misunderstood you and thought you were asking about their gloves in general (they really have 4 different kinds of padding) not particulary about the training gloves (all latex).
Unfortunatel Reyes training gloves are not like Winning or some good quality IMF gloves... they are quite often different in weight, padding density and size :( Sometimes one is lucky enough to get almost a perfect pair, but in general they very often differ - some of them more, some of them less.

Last edited:
Back