Cleto Reyes "Mexican Market" vs "Ringside" Cleto Reyes Training Gloves?

This is unfortunately typical Reyes... Used to have several pairs. One pair of extra padded (supposed to have 2" padding over knuckles) had totally different right X left - right weighted 17.5 oz. instead of 16, the left one weighted about 15 oz instead of 16. The right one had a good volume of padding over knuckles and it was of fine density - neither soft nor much dense, however the left one had about the same volume of padding over knuckles as normal Reyes 16 oz. (not extra padded) - about 60% volume of the right glove padding over knuckles, moreover the padding in the left glove was way softer than the right. So the result was one heavy well padded right glove, one shitty padded much lighter left glove.
No, mate, I did not think you are not experienced with gloves. And I fully understand your disappointment - as I mentioned above I had a similar experience with Reyes padding...
And as for the Reyes respond... maybe Reyes just misunderstood you and thought you were asking about their gloves in general (they really have 4 different kinds of padding) not particulary about the training gloves (all latex).
Unfortunatel Reyes training gloves are not like Winning or some good quality IMF gloves... they are quite often different in weight, padding density and size :( Sometimes one is lucky enough to get almost a perfect pair, but in general they very often differ - some of them more, some of them less.

ughh i dont know what to do or where to order from. I jsut want the original reyes you know but i might lose my mind if i order another 10oz pair and they are super mushy. the ones i jsut got will wear out so fast, i wore out a pair of winning 10oz in 2 months training in thailand, like totally ruined, leather ripped off padding on both knuckles completely worn out like nothing there. lol winning said they would fix them i sent them back and they just slapped 2 pieces of leather over the holes hahah
.. i have pairs of all the major gloves and honestly top king is up there with all these brands and like 40 bucks a pair but what do you think are the best gloves. I like really really hard gloves, i would say i hit pretty hard. thats why i wanted a beauty pair of reyes

I would order from Lockwoods Boxing, Reyes' main distributor in the USA if you're from here.

That being said, I think JC Pachecos would be up there as the hardest padding gloves. Rival D3Os have a very solid padding on the front and make a satisfying crack when you hit the bag.

ughh i dont know what to do or where to order from. I jsut want the original reyes you know but i might lose my mind if i order another 10oz pair and they are super mushy. the ones i jsut got will wear out so fast, i wore out a pair of winning 10oz in 2 months training in thailand, like totally ruined, leather ripped off padding on both knuckles completely worn out like nothing there. lol winning said they would fix them i sent them back and they just slapped 2 pieces of leather over the holes hahah

After two months of use, have to say that's really nice of Winning to do that regardless

Alright guys the word is in. A celte reyes employee called the factory for me in mexico and told me that for size 8oz and 10oz they use a softer padding and 12 and up they use the dense padding.

Alright guys the word is in. A celte reyes employee called the factory for me in mexico and told me that for size 8oz and 10oz they use a softer padding and 12 and up they use the dense padding.

Dude, what Reyes gloves (oz.) did you actually get the last time (those with soft padding that really sucks)? 10 oz.? And are they lace up or velcro? That's very important. Because all LACE UP Reyes gloves below 12 oz. are actually FIGHT gloves with either horsehair or safetec - they are 8 oz. or 10 oz., all are soft, none of them are latex padded. However Reyes VELCRO are all latex padded 6 oz.-18 oz. just the lighter are less padded, the heavier are more padded. Lace up gloves 12 oz. - 18 oz. are also latex. From what you are saying I assume you meant lace up gloves, didn't you? If you want 10 oz Reyes then Safetec gloves are definitely a better (longer lasting) option than horsehair, but neither safetec nor horsehair are good for a heavy bag of course. Though Safetec are nice on pads. But really none of Reyes 8/10 oz. lace up gloves are firm, all are soft, regardless are they from Mexico, Lockwoods or any other place. There are simply no firm lace up 8-10 oz. Reyes now.

Btw it's a shame what Winning did with your yellow gloves, for the price they should send you the replacement or perfectly fixed up gloves, not this shit. Disgusting. I am a big Winning fan, but this is something that makes me angry and sick.

Last edited:
Dude, what Reyes gloves (oz.) did you actually get the last time (those with soft padding that really sucks)? 10 oz.? And are they lace up or velcro? That's very important. Because all LACE UP Reyes gloves below 12 oz. are actually FIGHT gloves with either horsehair or safetec - they are 8 oz. or 10 oz., all are soft, none of them are latex padded. However Reyes VELCRO are all latex padded 6 oz.-18 oz. just the lighter are less padded, the heavier are more padded. Lace up gloves 12 oz. - 18 oz. are also latex. From what you are saying I assume you meant lace up gloves, didn't you? If you want 10 oz Reyes then Safetec gloves are definitely a better (longer lasting) option than horsehair, but neither safetec nor horsehair are good for a heavy bag of course. Though Safetec are nice on pads. But really none of Reyes 8/10 oz. lace up gloves are firm, all are soft, regardless are they from Mexico, Lockwoods or any other place. There are simply no firm lace up 8-10 oz. Reyes now.

Btw it's a shame what Winning did with your yellow gloves, for the price they should send you the replacement or perfectly fixed up gloves, not this shit. Disgusting. I am a big Winning fan, but this is something that makes me angry and sick.

yeah lol it was hilarious, i got the glvoes back and it was a glued piece of leather. Im more surprised that they worse out so fast like all the padding was gone in the knuckles.

about the reyes they are velcro 10 oz so not a fight glove, i wanted an easy access pair for thailand again for my day to day gloves, some days i will use lace ups depending. but yeah how come you say the safetc and horsehair arent good on the bag? I like really hard gloves but ofcourse for hand pads some nice light ones are alwasy good to ba ba ba keep it quick. thats why i bought the reyes 10 ozs, i like to train in the same weight that i will fight in. any personal opinions of yours im interested to hear. i want to buy another pair of reyes what do you advise me to get? im looking at velcro 12s probably

yeah lol it was hilarious, i got the glvoes back and it was a glued piece of leather. Im more surprised that they worse out so fast like all the padding was gone in the knuckles.

about the reyes they are velcro 10 oz so not a fight glove, i wanted an easy access pair for thailand again for my day to day gloves, some days i will use lace ups depending. but yeah how come you say the safetc and horsehair arent good on the bag? I like really hard gloves but ofcourse for hand pads some nice light ones are alwasy good to ba ba ba keep it quick. thats why i bought the reyes 10 ozs, i like to train in the same weight that i will fight in. any personal opinions of yours im interested to hear. i want to buy another pair of reyes what do you advise me to get? im looking at velcro 12s probably

The padding story of your Winning gloves kills me. It's shame. Absolute lack of any professional honour.

Reyes 10 oz. velcro are for sure latex, but it seems they use one day more of latex for the padding the other day less (moreover not of the same density) of it and the result is there is a lot of soft gloves.
I would love to advise you what pair of Reyes to get, however regardless you are going to order 10 oz. or 18 oz. you might get another soft pair. So if you like 10 oz. stay with it and order 10 oz., 12 oz. won't necessarily help. There are only 2 ways: 1) pick up them in person (if there is any chance to do so), 2) order from some nice professional who will guarantee you are going to get a very firm padding pair

I recommend you to contact Juan (Technoir from this forum), a Mexican guy who I am pretty sure will get the right pair of Reyes for you (or maybe another brand if you'll like).
He is a knowledgable guy, he will help for sure. His email is [email protected]
Describe him just what would you like to get and ask whether he can guarantee you are going to get exactly the pair you would like to get.
Or another Mexican guy [email protected]
All depends on your location. Reyes usually does not allow to sell directly from Mexico to the countries where is an official distributor. Nevertheless you can always ask these Meican guys, I am sure the will find the way :)
If you are from the States I would rather choose Lockwoods boxing (as somebody here advised). With the same strict request for the firm padded 10 oz. http://www.lockwoodsboxing.com/

Last edited:
The padding story of your Winning gloves kills me. It's shame.

Reyes 10 oz. velcro are for sure latex, but it seems they use one day more of late for the padding the other day less of it and the result is there is a lot of soft gloves. There is no other way I m afraid than to pick up them in person and choose the appropriate pair.
I would love to advise you what pair of Reyes to get, however regardless you are going to order 10 oz. or 18 oz. you might get another soft pair. So if you like 10 oz. stay with it and order 10 oz., 12 oz. won't necessarily help. There are only 2 ways: 1) pick up them in person (if there is any chance to do so), 2) order from some nice professional who will guarantee you are going to get a very firm padding pair

I recommend you to contact Juan (Technoir from this forum), a Mexican guy who I am pretty sure will get the right pair of Reyes for you (or maybe another brand if you'll like).
He is a knowledgable guy, he will help for sure. His email is [email protected]
Describe him just what would you like to get and ask whether he can guarantee you are going to get exactly the pair you would like to get.

thank you sir, does tehnoir have an online store?

thank you sir, does tehnoir have an online store?

No, everything goes via email. Many many people here have bought gear from him. His is a nice honest guy.
Unfortunately Seyer brand is no longer as good as it used to be, otherwise they would be perfect for you - they have a compressed latex padding.
Btw I have added 2 more options beside Technoir in my previous post a while ago.

As for the horsehair and safetec on a bag... Horsehair will be destroyed in no-time, safetec lasts longer but the leather is softer than of the training velcro gloves, so they will not last long on a bag anyway. Moreover they are very soft so they do not provide much protection on a bag.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread and was curious as to why Cleto Reyes does not make 10oz lace up training gloves but they are willing to do 12 and up...many pros train in 10oz lace ups from other brands so it makes no sense not to want to cater to that market in the same way.

I don tknow i have 2 pairs of reyes gloves that I bought 2 years ago and the padding is super dense nice and firm and then i ordered another paid last month, the new ones are total crap the padding is sooooo soft, like the total opposite of the original cleto reyes punchers style gloves. Its like a lower quality glove all together. did anyone else notice this because its a glaring difference, it feels like its just a sponge below the leather.
So I purchased a pair of blue 16oz lace up Cleto Reyes gloves from Lockwood in September 2017. The leather was so soft and smooth, very glossy. It wrapped tightly around the foam. These gloves are perfect. They began to break in pretty quickly. The padding was dense but plentiful to provide protection.

Because of this experience, I decided to purchase a second pair of lace ups, this time 18oz. I ordered a second pair, but in yellow. I ordered a second pair through Lockwood as well. When I received them, I noticed the leather felt thicker and significantly stiffer. I also noticed the padding on the knuckle area and thumb is way thinner than on my 16oz, there's less protection and my knuckles feel it on the bag, despite spending the same, and now, more time on the bags than my first pair. The leather is also not wrapped tightly. The glove looks like it's missing foam. The foam is also flimsy, I can feel my knuckles easily, almost just like a 10oz fight glove.

I contacted Lockwood and they said it's due to natural materials and the product being handmade. But the quality is night and day from the first pair. It's 2017, why is Reyes still having issues with inconsistency in their gloves?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are there still complaints that Ringside Reyes aren’t as good as the “Mexican Market” Reyes gloves? I also noticed that Reyes’ official US distributor is now www.cletoreyesboxing.com which is based out of San Diego. There are also a lot of other places in the US to get Reyes now that probably weren’t around when this thread began, such as forzasports.com and mma-fanatics.com, which also do a lot of sales through eBay and Amazon.

Last edited:
So here's what I can tell about these Ringside gloves. They are bag gloves. Like the mitten looking style, but they are built like regular gloves. I've never owned Cleto Reyes bag gloves before, so I can't speak to the padding in them, but I would imagine these Ringside gloves have a little more of padding than them. I would place them somewhere in between the training gloves and the bag gloves. Hence them being called "Super Bag Gloves." Just beefed up bag gloves...

Back