Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What a goofy name.
Cleveland Flint
Cleveland Spiders
Cleveland Rockers
but Guardians ...lame

Guardians has mild resonance with Cleveland residents. A local bridge over the Cuyahoga River has eight big sandstone sculptures locally referred to as the guardians. You can see in this photo its near the stadium.

I think its an awful name, but at least you can see what they were aiming at.

b54aaf22d7448dd2fff48c58cc162409.jpg

Guardians has mild resonance with Cleveland residents. A local bridge over the Cuyahoga River has eight big sandstone sculptures locally referred to as the guardians. You can see in this photo its near the stadium.

Is that a giant pez dispenser?

missed opportunity for Cleveland Steamers imo

Is that a giant pez dispenser?

It's a fairly nice set of statues as far as statues on high traffic bridges go, though the bridge itself is in poor shape.

And as I said earlier, it has mild resonance with Clevelanders. But overall it's a terrible name, and an even worse logo.

On top of all that the name Guardians is already trademarked by a roller derby team. http://www.clevelandguardians.com/
From this we see several things: first, the name has a Cleveland vibe to it, as another Cleveland team already chose that name. Second, the name change has been a clusterfuck, with nobody even checking google to see if the name was available. Third, the roller derby team has a better logo than the CBT.

Mostly this.

Also, just swap the 'In' for a 'Guar' in the same script, so they don't have to drastically change their logo/merchandising

Back