Combat Hopak - the Cossack Martial Art

Yes I am aware Hopak is a dance.
But the point is there is Combat Hopak as well, considered to be based upon martial movements in the dance and also most likely other techniques.

Time-stamped. You can see them doing drils and some form of sparring.

It was founded by this guy, Volodymyr Pylat who is a Ukrainian Cossack.
View attachment 837108

https://hopak.km.ua/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Hopak

"It can be trained in light, semi and full contact formulae. Combat Hopak includes techniques of traditional Ukrainian folk fist fighting, folk wrestling, Cossack sabre fencing, and Cossack war dances like the Hopak and the Metelystia".

So even if it's basically some kind of modern form mixed with some Ukrainian folk wrestling and Hopak dance it's still legit and pretty cool I think.

I hope you are just trolling our innocent western buds with this. All these "folk" wrestling, "cossacks", ancient "slav martial arts" are just modern-day new-made stuff, oriented either on "national pride" dudes or nerds who want to be tough but don't want to get hurt, like in aikido. I won't comment on it any further 'cause it's just a waste of everybody's time. Dixi.

All these "folk" wrestling, "cossacks", ancient "slav martial arts" are just modern-day new-made stuff, oriented either on "national pride" dudes or nerds who want to be tough but don't want to get hurt, like in aikido. I won't comment on it any further 'cause it's just a waste of everybody's time. Dixi.
Actually about this you are definitely wrong in some part.
Most of these arts have roots in traditional folk wrestling which has a history and lineage and sometimes also folk fist-fighting traditions.
As I mentioned, even if some of it is a modern invention or adaptation there is something to combining your traditional wrestling style with modern training methods to make a system like we see here,and nothing wrong with doing that .

Same goes for weapon arts like the sabre which may have been somewhat preserved like we see in Asian martial arts.

Your desire to align yourself with only mainstream boxing or whatever does not change this.

Last edited:
The master never cease to disappoint me

"look at this ancient art that's not pressure tested in any way, 95% is useless but I sure believe it's effective (lmao) for I have studied the blade"
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel, if you want conditionning and flexibility you could join any decent mainstream combat sport and you'd actually pick up useful things along the way

The master never cease to disappoint me

"look at this ancient art that's not pressure tested in any way, 95% is useless but I sure believe it's effective (lmao) for I have studied the blade"
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel, if you want conditionning and flexibility you could join any decent mainstream combat sport and you'd actually pick up useful things along the way
Who said anything about it's effectiveness you silly fuck.
If it has traditional wrestling roots it will have some effectiveness though.
But this is mainly for interest in a style claiming Cossack origins through Hopak and possibly traditional weapons.

Also lol at some banned whitebelt with a 10 day noob account coming on here.

Anyone heard of this before
The Cossack martial art of Hopak. There is a dance form with kind of dancing katas and conditioning and a martial form.

This is bullshit.

Cossack martial art is indigenous weapon martial art.

They specialize in the whip.

#fakenews

Actually about this you are definitely wrong in some part.
Most of these arts have roots in traditional folk wrestling which has a history and lineage and sometimes also folk fist-fighting traditions.
As I mentioned, even if some of it is a modern invention or adaptation there is something to combining your traditional wrestling style with modern training methods to make a system like we see here,and nothing wrong with doing that .

Same goes for weapon arts like the sabre which may have been somewhat preserved like we see in Asian martial arts.

Your desire to align yourself with only mainstream boxing or whatever does not change this.

Sorry bro, I prefer a Kalashnikov assault rifle to any musket.

This is bullshit.

#fakenews

We need some videos, comrade. Ya 'now, sexy girls, whips, etc.stuff...

Bare handed training

Knife skills

I'm against shitty arts, especially when they claim their lineage from Kievan Rus <Lmaoo>. For conditioning, flexibility and strength I'd better do some gymnastics.
For real, bruh, why are you searching those bullshit-do systems? Speaking about ex-Soviet countries, the most developed are all kinds of Olympic combat sports (boxing, wrestling, judo) and sambo. Everything, where you can see see words like "ancient", "tactical", "spetznaz", "traditional slavic" etc., just sucks.

You're speaking to much sense for this forum comrade

You're speaking to much sense for this forum comrade

To be fair its mostly one member who posts these bullshido crapfests /topics. At this point he very well might have a serious mental disorder so I dont want to even bash him anymore (just like the swedish guy we all kinda felt sorry for at the end) . Most others here are either interested in fighting or do spar / fight.

To be fair its mostly one member who posts these bullshido crapfests /topics. At this point he very well might have a serious mental disorder so I dont want to even bash him anymore (just like the swedish guy we all kinda felt sorry for at the end) . Most others here are either interested in fighting or do spar / fight.
I began my training with sparring and full resistance competition with Judo, and have maintained a realistic approach to training since then.
Unlike yourself, who spent years training to sneak around in a Ninja constume.
220px-Wayofthetiger_book1.jpg
So you're not one to talk.

Last edited:
I began my training with sparring and full resistance competition with Judo, and have maintained a realistic approach to training since then.
Unlike yourself, who spent years training to sneak around in a Ninja constume.
View attachment 871519
So you're not one to talk.
I began my training in TKD before they told my father I'd be better suited to boxing. Apparently I just wanted to fight at 7 and not learn traditional influences of Martial Arts.

This is bullshit.

#fakenews
if you examine their martial arts it all seems to be based around a mobile horse culture.

whips to drive the carts, and the dancing for ankle and hip mobility bouncing exercises to steady a rifle shot from horseback.

If they weren't shooting you from the horse they were wipping you from the horse and if they weren't whipping you from the horse they were riding past you and dipping down with a slash of their saber.

Man and horse as a single unit.

Centaur.

if you examine their martial arts it all seems to be based around a mobile horse culture.

whips to drive the pussy riots, and the dancing for ankle and hip mobility bouncing exercises to steady a rifle shot from horseback.
Fixed that for you

I'm beginning to think I have a serious mental disorder for posting in here.

so does tennis.
Did you know that polo, the sport of the upper classes, descends directly throughout the ages from the people that rode out of the pontic step on horse back war hammer in hand and basically took over and became the ruling class of every society they came into contact with?

They basically just rode in smashed all the mens skulls in from horseback using war hammers and let their diseases spread and kill the rest of the population and took the women as their brides. That started like 5 or 6 thousand years ago and the martial art is preserved to this day in the form of polo. It's incredible really.

Javelin throwing, I mean a lot of sports are basically just the form ancient martial arts have been preserved in.

The first drill they are doing is actually a good sensitivity exercise similar to what you see in bagua or tai chi.
Lots of these types of drills and the skills developed can have obvious combat application.

LOL that cossak stuff looks like horesehit and the fact that it ressembles bagua and tai chi is not exactly a selling point, haha.

Seriously, the former USSR is GOAT in combat sports, why do you search for the fringe, ridiculous shit that some larpers are trying to recreate?

BTW if you want a dance for conditioning I will take the Caucasian lezginka (the GOAT dance IMO) any day of the week over that trash.

Back