Combat Hopak - the Cossack Martial Art

I guess cancel culture is real.
You see that right there is aproblem. I just mentioned it because its a trend in western society but no one here tried to get you banned or worse make your private / work place life hell. You need to stop with the overblown reactions

Last edited:
You see that right there is aproblem. I just mentioned it because its a trend in western society but no one here tried to get you banned or worse make your private / work place life hell. You need to stop with the victim complex
Who said anything about victim complex.
I got my first yellow here after two decades, my perception is people are getting more sensitive.

I recall you being the one who derided Ballet because of its "homosexual" connotations and wanted to educate you on the benefits of it. Hopak has about 1/8th the benefits in combat that Ballet would have lmao.

The problem you have is you're not open to a new way of thinking. I'll actively read your threads and reply with my thoughts, but they can be swayed. You are hell bent on your way or the highway.

Ok fair point. But then you are also far too selective as to what you acknowledge as per your biases. If you are going to praise ballet then you can praise Shaolin training since it's as demanding and more specifically combat focused.
Lets just paraphrase your previous post with an equally valid alternative and see how it looks:

"Shaolin training is no joke, do you think there is any fighter on the planet who is as physically fine tuned as a guy like this, with near flawless balance and completely functional muscles not affected by bulk of them or any issues with cardio because of them?
If you could teach a professional Shaolin monk how to do MMA you'd likely have one of the greatest finely tuned combat machines ever made."

BetterPopularBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Ok fair point. But then you are also far too selective as to what you acknowledge as per your biases. If you are going to praise ballet then you can praise Shaolin training since it's as demanding and more specifically combat focused.
Lets just paraphrase your previous post with an equally valid alternative and see how it looks:

"Shaolin training is no joke, do you think there is any fighter on the planet who is as physically fine tuned as a guy like this, with near flawless balance and completely functional muscles not affected by bulk of them or any issues with cardio because of them?
If you could teach a professional Shaolin monk how to do MMA you'd likely have one of the greatest finely tuned combat machines ever made."

View attachment 872041
Indeed you could, you could also use the same argument for breakdancing if that didn't already have capoeira.

Hopak is literally ballet with less steps. It's a lot more about bouncing around and leg strength.
Hopak might be great for kickboxing or MT. Personally however I wouldn't be running down to my local Hopak center to learn how to do it. Similar I'm not suggesting everyone runs down to the Ballet and becomes their own personal Billy Elliot.

Yes I am aware Hopak is a dance.
But the point is there is Combat Hopak as well, considered to be based upon martial movements in the dance and also most likely other techniques.

Time-stamped. You can see them doing drils and some form of sparring.

It was founded by this guy, Volodymyr Pylat who is a Ukrainian Cossack.
View attachment 837108

https://hopak.km.ua/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Hopak

"It can be trained in light, semi and full contact formulae. Combat Hopak includes techniques of traditional Ukrainian folk fist fighting, folk wrestling, Cossack sabre fencing, and Cossack war dances like the Hopak and the Metelystia".

So even if it's basically some kind of modern form mixed with some Ukrainian folk wrestling and Hopak dance it's still legit and pretty cool I think.

looks more fun than jumping rope or going on a run. Also that dude looks like Santa Claus' evil twin

On ballet let's not forget the villain John mcclane fought in die hard who was played by a former ballet star - one of the few movie villains to ever try to use a karate chop to dispatch their opponents!

On ballet let's not forget the villain John mcclane fought in die hard who was played by a former ballet star - one of the few movie villains to ever try to use a karate chop to dispatch their opponents!

The brothers? The one with the long blond hair? That was such a good movie. On point with great actors and a simple but well executed narrative. Definitely one of my alltime favourites when Hollywood really made legendary movies.

best karate kick in 90s movie. looks like it could be Hopak :D

katas are supposed to involve actual strikes and transitioning between those strikes , modern schools have turned katas to useless dancing, it's like shadowboxing but you need to remember every step

Last edited:
I must say that this topic gave me a lot of entertainment. Mainly because it shows how quick you are to jump to strange and very far fetching conclusions barely understanding topic you are "disputing". I can not say I am surprised by such display of ignorance as I have been seeing many examples of similar behavior for few decades now. Both in case of Western European Historical martial Arts that back in the '90s/early '00s been ridiculed in online discussions and Eastern European that are barely known in most cases outside of their countries.

Yes - there been hand to hand combat traditions in Europe and yes they been involving fist fighting. Eastern Europe in particular has a lot of fist fighting noted in historical sources and literature. Some of these forms are known as "Lava na lavu" in Ukraine or "Stenka na Stenku" in Russia. In both cases it been performed by two rows of people that been standing against each other and winning row had to push back opposite row. There been many local variations of rules of these games. As for individual fist fights Mykola Hohol (Nikolay Gogol) described one in "Taras Bulba". Kicks are also nothing unusual in historical martial arts ad you can find them in various fencing and wrestling manuals from western Europe of different epochs. There is also French martial art Savate that originally been using mostly kicks as stiking technique. English bare knuckles boxing been a sport that looked very differently few centuries ago and had much wider arsenal of punching techniques.

It also has traditions of folk wrestling:
Poland (Biady)
Zapa%C5%9Bnicy%20biaduj%C4%85%20pod%20okiem%20Wac%C5%82awa%20Nizi%C5%84skiego%2C%20%C5%81om%C5%BCa%202019.jpg

https://naukawpolsce.pl/aktualnosci/news,78722,tradycja-ludowych-zapasow-w-polsce-bardziej-powszechna-niz-uwazano.html

Lithuania (ristynes)

Ukraine ("na wkhrest" - kinda similar to how Polish Biady are being performed, "na poyasakh" - noteworthy that Polish term for wrestling "zapasy" seems to have identical etymology) and also various techniques preserved among Cossack families, some of them been collected in "Spas" martial art that is developing in eastern parts of Ukraine.

What are your thoughts on recruiting Georgian dancers into combat sports?

Do you mean Georgian martial art "KHRIDOLI"?

As a guy who was actually some what taught hopak the dance (thank you military PE teacher grandfather)

The whole martial art thing is just to show off and look good.
Pardon? Just "to look good and show off"? Combat Hopak has multiple kinds (fact mentioned even on English language wikipedia page about that martial art so you do not have to make too much effort to find that information)- Ozdorovchiy, Folklorno-Mysteckiy, Sportyvniy and Boyoviy. First is fitness, second is theatrical like performances and last two are full contact fights - sport fights and military combat fights. There been numerous participations of Combat Hopak adepts in tournaments of full contacts fights since even times before fall of Soviet Union up to present days. Against numerous martial arts including kick-boxing and Muay-Thai. Also in MMA - nota bene Combat Hopak been incorporating both striking and wrestling techniques since begining of it's sistematization in the mid '80s. There been winners among Combat Hopak adepts in such tournaments formulas.

Last edited:
I would allow myself to add this video regarding Georgian martial art Khridoli (I'm adding in separate post as edditing previous post causes error to happen)

Back