Conor McGregor vs 2000s era welterweight...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was thinking about the previous generation. They kept saying that in the next decade, the fighters are going to be freakishly skilled. In a way, they are better strikers, but with grappling, it feels like a regression. That being said, could Conor handle the grappling/judo skills of Karo Parisyan?

I know Karo is at 170 but Conor has fought 170 and curios to know if his power would translate to 170 pounders from the past era?

Joe Riggs also had crazy good boxing skills and is fighting Hector Lombard soon!

Matt Hughes might be able to endure and take him down but I think Conor can catch him but still get taken down.

Josh Koscheck may try to out wrestle him but get countered and lose unless he gets top position on a takedown.

Nick Diaz would beat him due to volume and being insane. No chance for Conor.

Matt Serra: No idea who wins this..

Sean Sherk was an animal. No Denis Siver, Sean did great against Nick but lacks the reach.

BJ Penn: Conor may have advantage standing but on the ground he is in trouble but BJ doesnt have strong takedowns.

GSP not need to be mentioned.

Why is it so hard for people to realize that the sport has evolved tremendously since then?

Even BJJ as a martial arts has evolved a shit tons since the 2000s.

Joe Riggs also had crazy good boxing skills and is fighting Hector Lombard soon!
Riggs would lose because Herb Dean would ref the fight and he probably holds a grudge.

29684.jpg

Why is it so hard for people to realize that the sport has evolved tremendously since then?

Even BJJ as a martial arts has evolved a shit tons since the 2000s.

What evolutionary grappling techniques has Conor shown?

Lol thanks for the in depth analysis but Conor would have gotten ass kicked by every single one of them.

I think so but maybe he could beat Sean or Serra because they are smaller?

Riggs would lose because Herb Dean would ref the fight and he probably holds a grudge.

29684.jpg

Herb let Conor cheat against Khabib but still lost. So its possible.

The only ones Conor has a chance against are Riggs and Serra

BJ Penn has better wrestling than Poirier.

Riggs is huge and was a heavyweight.

There's this common misconception that because mma has evolved so has everyone in it.

- Izzy is just a good kickboxer and he's as likely to lose in the earlier ufc and pride days as anyone.
- Ngannou is a beast but prime Fedor and Big Nog would take him down and sub him, and Cro Cop would blast his head off.
- Is Jan so evolved that he'd beat prime Chuck, Wanderlei, Rampage, Shogun, Machida, Randy? I don't see it.
- Usman would do fantastic but i doubt he beats GSP, that's not the point though, Usman would do well in any era.
- Oliveira probably does well too, Khabib would have had more trouble when Sherk and BJ were around.

Back