International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asymptomatic means that you're infected with the virus but you don't have symptoms.

Immune means that you can not get infected with the virus.
I really need this information to reach our politicians and their scientists, cause they're using those terms interchangeably, which is what got me confused in the first place. Thank you!

I'm out for today. Nearing midnight over here and I didn't sleep for more than a few hours last night. Peace.

@Gomi1977

Some news out of Italy, according to worldometer (haven't checked the primary sources).

• Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

• This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

• The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

• If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19 would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Again, it's estimations (dare I say guesswork), but this speaks to your theory. So, many more infected than cases, of course we already knew that but the magnitude seems higher. Although Italy did have it very bad, very early, so not entirely comparable with all other countries. This would mean a lower IFR, but we've already been over this and we knew it would be much lower than the 10% CFR. However, there could be up to 75% more deaths than officially reported in some places, which would be devastating. I'm guessing most of those are old people in their homes. We don't know yet though, and it might be difficult to get accurate diagnosing. Either way, fingers crossed for a shorter peak...
Well we just really really need to get that antibody test asap everywhere.

Another thing to consider is that it's pretty difficult to collect good samples to test. For respiratory illnesses you usually want some sputum collected from a deep cough, because that will give you a lot of virus in your sample. It's harder to collect this one since most people will have a lack of material from the mines of Moria due to dry coughing, so you have to go digging deep into their nostrils. Most people don't take kindly to getting sticks shoved up halfway to their brains and will start clawing and punching the poor person taking the sample. If you don't dig deep enough, you might not get a good enough sample.
I did not know that, another one to store in the "needtoknow"-pile! Cheers once again my friend!

This is what happened in Italy back in the day when plague doctors appeared in a neighborhood. The people associated the appearance of plague doctors with death, so logically, if they got rid of them then they wouldn't die
<seedat>
(They were partially right because the beak nosed motherfrickers carried fleas on their ridiculous robes so they contributed to the spread)

Coronavirus: India doctors 'spat at and attacked'

_111602803_1andindexpicture.jpg

Several healthcare workers in India have been attacked as they battle to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Reports say doctors have been spat at and chased away from homes, and that in one case patients directed abusive and vulgar language towards female nurses.

Some physicians and their families have also been ostracised by their neighbours because of their exposure to patients infected with Covid-19.

India has reported more than 2,300 cases and at least 50 people have died.

One video, which has gone viral, showed a mob throwing stones at two female doctors wearing personal protective equipment in the central city of Indore.

The doctors had gone to a densely-populated area to check on a woman suspected of having Covid-19 when they came under attack.

Despite being injured, one of the doctors seen in the video, Zakiya Sayed, said the incident "won't deter me from doing my duty".

"We were on our usual round to screen suspected cases," she told the BBC. "We never thought that we would be attacked."

"I had never seen scenes like that. It was frightening. We somehow fled from the mob. I am injured but not scared at all."

Dr Sayed added: "We had no reason to suspect that people would be agitated against medical teams."

"We are working to keep people safe. We had information about a person coming in contact with a Covid-19 patient. We were talking to the person when residents got agitated and attacked us."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52151141

Fauci not at the press conference. CNN infers something nefarious.

"A Million N95 Masks Are Coming From China—on Board the New England Patriots’ Plane"
Link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-mill...rd-the-new-england-patriots-plane-11585821600

"At 3:38 a.m. Wednesday morning, the New England Patriots’ team plane departed from an unusual locale: Shenzhen, China. On board the Boeing 767, in the cargo hold that used to be home to Tom Brady’s duffel bags, were 1.2 million N95 masks bound for the U.S."
200402100036-02-patriots-plane-coronavirus-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

200402095833-01-patriots-plane-coronavirus-trnd-super-tease.jpg
I wonder what % of them will be defect like everything else they've sent out recently.

Shocks me a country of US' size they a'int making their own masks at a time like this.

And what a convenient stunt that photo is. They were probably all made in a sweatshop with no ppe

Jerking off the CDC, sorry Trump and Surgeon but no thanks, i'd rather you admit something about being wrong.

@Gomi1977

Some news out of Italy, according to worldometer (haven't checked the primary sources).

• Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

• This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

• The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

• If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19 would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Again, it's estimations (dare I say guesswork), but this speaks to your theory. So, many more infected than cases, of course we already knew that but the magnitude seems higher. Although Italy did have it very bad, very early, so not entirely comparable with all other countries. This would mean a lower IFR, but we've already been over this and we knew it would be much lower than the 10% CFR. However, there could be up to 75% more deaths than officially reported in some places, which would be devastating. I'm guessing most of those are old people in their homes. We don't know yet though, and it might be difficult to get accurate diagnosing. Either way, fingers crossed for a shorter peak...
early march, I had guessed that italy was in the low millions, and US in the hundred thousands - not confirmed of course.

it does leave me questioning how effective is our mitigation? is it slowing down the spread 50%, 100%, 200%, how would you calculate for that?

and then there are states like florida, that openly had big spring break parties two weeks ago, they're numbers are high, but I havent seen a real body count

Well we just really really need to get that antibody test asap everywhere.
do you think that's why germany is starting to spike? Maybe the original testing gave a false sense of security

early march, I had guessed that italy was in the low millions, and US in the hundred thousands - not confirmed of course.

it does leave me questioning how effective is our mitigation? is it slowing down the spread 50%, 100%, 200%, how would you calculate for that?

and then there are states like florida, that openly had big spring break parties two weeks ago, they're numbers are high, but I havent seen a real body count
People are dying after being on ventilators for 10-14 days. So there's a 2-3 week lag time between cases and deaths. We went from 4,500 cases to 275,000 cases in the past 14 days. So the death counts you're seeing are from that 2 week old number.

The death number is gonna start piling up in 2 weeks or so just like the case number is starting to pile up now.

(speaking about the US)

Best of luck to you Sherbro. Keep us updated how you’re doing.

What was your trigger to go in and get tested, and then to actually test you? Were you running a fever with a new cough?

I've been in touch with my neurologist throughout this pandemic, he told me to call him if I develop any symptoms. I had a terrible fever with a dry cough, called him Wednesday, 2 hours later, someone else called me, told me which hospital to go to as they were expecting me, took my sample, this morning someone called me with the result.

This virus is airborne, I barely left the house and I still got it, it's no joke, on the way home I saw people outside in groups, fucking embarrassing. The nurse that took my sample was wearing a dust mask and a surgical mask on top. I already had respect for doctors & nurses but after what I saw, I respect them even more.

People are dying after being on ventilators for 10-14 days. So there's a 2-3 week lag time between cases and deaths. We went from 4,500 cases to 275,000 cases in the past 14 days. So the death counts you're seeing are from that 2 week old number.

The death number is gonna start piling up in 2 weeks or so just like the case number is starting to pile up now.

(speaking about the US)
That a terrifying thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...-the-coronavirus-in-latin-america/ar-BB128iKk

Uncollected bodies lie for days in the streets of Guayaquil, Ecuador, the emerging epicenter of the coronavirus in Latin America
Anthony Faiola, Ana Vanessa Herrero 6 hrs ago
7-8 minutes
The body was wrapped in a plastic tarp, swollen, already attracting flies. He had been a neighbor, a man Rosangelys Valdiviezo passed while walking home from work, though they’d never exchanged words.

Now he lay in front of his home, one of an untold number of bodies cast out in the streets of Guayaquil, Ecuador, a sweltering South American city being ravaged by the novel coronavirus. Valdiviezo, a 30-year old seafood worker, said the body had lain out in the tropical heat for six days.

“I am very afraid,” Valdiviezo, a Venezuelan migrant who moved to Guayaquil, said by telephone. “I’m terrified of dying so far from home.”

Ecuador’s largest city, a commercial center of nearly 3 million, is emerging as the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak in Latin America. In local news accounts, videos shared on social media and telephone interviews, officials, aid workers and others in the poverty-stricken metropolis are reporting fly-covered bodies on sidewalks and corpses left inside homes for days.

Ecuador confirmed its first case of covid-19 on Valentine’s Day: A 71-year-old Ecuadoran woman who arrived in Guayaquil after a visit to Spain. Since then, the crisis has ballooned, jumping to more than 2,200 cases, or roughly 70 percent of Ecuador’s total, far surpassing the numbers in Quito, the capital.

The outbreak has struck faster than Guayaquil can cope. Hospitals were quickly overwhelmed. Mortuary workers couldn’t, or wouldn’t, collect the bodies — some dead from the virus, some apparently from other causes — from homes. With daytime temperatures topping 90 degrees in a city where many live with no air conditioning, some grieving families saw little option but to carry days-old corpses outside.

e151e5.gif
© Stringer/Reuters A woman is helped to enter the emergency room of Guasmo Sur General Hospital in Guayaquil on Wednesday.
The city’s struggle echoes those of other hard-hit spots around the globe where corpse control has become a grim daily struggle.

The Italian army has mobilized to haul cadavers out of devastated Bergamo after the crematorium there was overwhelmed. Authorities in Iran have dug mass graves. The Spanish military found elderly patients in care homes abandoned and dead in their beds.

Guayaquil could be a harbinger of things to come as the pandemic reachers more deeply into the ill-prepared developing world.

“The situation is dire in Guayaquil at this moment,” said Tati Bertolucci, CARE’s director for Latin America and the Caribbean. “There are dead bodies in the streets, and the health system is collapsed, so not everybody who has symptoms can get tested or treatment.”

A joint military-police operation has been recovering around 30 bodies per day, according to Jorge Wated, coordinator of a government task force assigned to cope with the crisis. A strict citywide curfew was complicating efforts by mortuary workers and funeral homes to remove bodies, Wated said in a nationally televised address this week.

“We recognize any errors and ask for forgiveness from those who have had to wait to remove their loved ones,” Wated said on Twitter. But he also braced locals for worse — warning that the death toll could reach 3,500 dead in the Guayaquil region alone.

“Everything depends on you, on your discipline,” he said. He urged the citizens of the city to adhere to a lockdown and curfew.

Analysts say several factors have contributed to the outsized impact of the coronavirus on Guayaquil. It’s an international port city. Some impoverished workers there initially put their need to continue earning a living ahead of calls for social distancing.

“The lockdowns were less effective in Guayaquil,” said Sebastian Hurtado, head of the Ecuadoran political consultancy Profitas. “In other parts of the country, more people complied. In Guayaquil, you also have areas with no basic services, really small housing units and denser living.”

Dump trucks have poured gallons of soapy water on city streets as part of a sanitation effort. The city’s mayor, Cynthia Viteri, told reporters in a Facebook news conference Thursday that shipping containers had been placed at hospitals to store cadavers.

Viteri has confirmed that she, too, has caught the virus.

So apparently 12k+ posts is a little much for one thread. Someone go a head and fire up a new one, just try and honour the traditions that @Arkain2K started and put some work into the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back