Could anyone break this tutorial by MJ White?

RichardHarrow

'arrow
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm a huge boxing fan but don't quite understanding of the following, I struggle with the idea that boxers i.e. - a sport that has been around for a hundred years plus could be doing something wrong...

Could any of the more learned individuals fill me in...

He's right. Keep in mind that one of the top 3 heavyweight boxers in the world right now barely has an idea of how to box.

Sinister has talked before on this forum about the decay of proper boxing instruction over the years as the sport has increasingly drawn in more explosive athletes.

MJW isn't saying that all boxers are doing this, but he's saying he's seen a lot of boxers do what he views to be a flawed punch. I tend to agree, no matter how good you are if you don't specifically check in with yourself every day to make sure that you're keeping your straight punches straight and ensure that you're not telegraphing, it can be very easy to fall into bad habits.

I've trained for years, but for the first time two weeks ago, a fellow coach pointed out that my elbow was really low on my rear hook, causing the force to disappear in the punch. I never used to do that, but it was a habit I had picked up without realising.

As a side note, keep in mind that boxing as a sport it still developing and changing over time, it's not set in stone, fighters today favour techniques that fighters in the past didn't and fighters today have strengths in areas that past didn't. The sport will always grow and change.

He's right. Keep in mind that one of the top 3 heavyweight boxers in the world right now barely has an idea of how to box.

Lol.He's nowhere near as bad as they make him out to be. He has potent jab and won rounds against a seasoned veteran like Ortiz

I'm a huge boxing fan but don't quite understanding of the following, I struggle with the idea that boxers i.e. - a sport that has been around for a hundred years plus could be doing something wrong...

Could any of the more learned individuals fill me in...

When you're in a match the instincts kick in and form deteriorates. Every single fighter telegraphs, overcommits, it's a natural process of fighting for real as opposed to drilling technques in isolation, or even sparring.

Last edited:
As for instructions, I don't know what gym MJW has visited because I know no legitimate boxing trainer encouraging his fighters to telegraph.

So no, we can't break down nonsense that a no-face-punching-Karate-black-belt is lecturing.

Last edited:
As for instructions, I don't know what gym MJW has visited because I know no legitimate boxing trainer encouraging his fighters to telegraph.

So no, we can't break down nonsense that a no-face-punching-Karate-black-belt is lecturing.
I don’t think MJW was claiming boxing instructors encourage their fighters to telegraph rather that boxers sometimes make the mistake of doing so.

Sparring exactly is designed to teach it, distance, timing and how to do a lot of false telegrafs to provocate exact kind of response, how to cover one telegraph with another etc.
Light sparring maybe isn't so stressful, but if you do, for example sparring for KB 3 rounds with ~ 20% force to warm up, later do next cycle as a 3 rounds with 80% and more, except head, where maybe the same force kept to think better after session... Better for first time is to do this 80% and more % session in paid sparring, othervise inexperienced guy might start to beat you like in bout, including head.
Thinking improves in next morning and week, then "better" feeling improves attention to defense.

There was a look of confusion on his face when he described how pro boxers are taught.

Looked like a guy who has never been in the ring marvelling at the incompetence of pro boxers (and by extension his own greatness).

I don’t think MJW was claiming boxing instructors encourage their fighters to telegraph rather that boxers sometimes make the mistake of doing so.

Spacetime is a troll, he just dribbles nonsense, so pay him no mind

There was a look of confusion on his face when he described how pro boxers are taught.

Looked like a guy who has never been in the ring marvelling at the incompetence of pro boxers (and by extension his own greatness).

There is a very very easy concept what to do in western martial arts if you think you are doing something better than others and thats why they evolved so much:

Take a fight and show up or shut up. (yeah I know about his "fights" in the 80s)

Most boxers have "flaws" even at elite level. Its why basics are for basic training and then styles get individualised. You will near always have a weakness.

But this guy never mastered basics because he would had to execute them in a fight to see if its working. His jab example is so laughable. Its the classic TMA crap they pulled in Tai Chi with us. Yeah telegraph two jabs and then do it without with no force at all. YOU ARE A MASTER!

Now throw a proper jab in fight with power while moving and defending.

Hollywood and their big egos. He is so full of himself it was hard to watch. Reminds me if the Wing Chun coaches in our area.

I prefer coaches and fighters with real fight experience.
That is a jab execution hello mama :D (I am sure MJW can tell Ike what he is doing wrong)

There's not rarerly, that guys thanks to athleticism and genetic gifts performe good and then assume, that others are wrong. Hollywood.
Tai chi definitely isn't usable in boxing or KB or MT...:)
Maybe in MMA, but they tells that they are too deadly for sport.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you understand what the objective of boxing is. LOL.

Implying that Michael Jai White never fought...

I know he has a bunch of different black belts but sorry I think boxers tend to be quite good at boxing, especially compared to the guy off the street.

There tend to be far more nuanced and sophisticated discussions of boxing technique going on in this forum.

His explanation had the air of an individual looking to explain 1 + 1 = 2 to guys (pro boxers) who have actually been doing the job for years.

Last edited:
I know he has a bunch of different black belts but sorry I think boxers tend to be quite good at boxing, especially compared to the guy off the street.

There tend to be far more nuanced and sophisticated discussions of boxing technique going on in this forum.

His explanation had the air of an individual looking to explain 1 + 1 = 2 to guys (pro boxers) who have actually been doing the job for years.

Kimbo wasn't a boxer at that time - he was a street fighter and never had particularly good technique. What MJW is saying is correct, no matter how you slice it, there are actually boxing coaches on this board that agree with him. We went through this whole discussion of this exact video months ago with Sinister saying pretty much the same thing I'm saying now.

I'm not sure you understand what the objective of boxing is. LOL.

He hasn't posted jack shit of himself doing anything... Ever. I have. You make the determination who's the shittalker.

Deontay Wilder has bad coordination and literally falls over himself punching, but my god he can punch. He could knockout any fighter in history. And his actual punches aren't bad if he had some natural athleticism to go with it, which he unfortunately doesn't...

Nobody counts amateur Kyokushin bouts except for his boyfriend Rogan, in which you can't punch to the fucking face.

Also did some Karate point fighting. So I guess he does know boxing!

MJW has never fought in boxing. If he could have, he would've, and made more money than from his shitty B-movies. Because he's apparently some kind of expert, and "revered for his hands". That's a quote.

Back