Could anyone break this tutorial by MJ White?

People take exception to it cause its a famous actor and kimbo slice....I think actors get hyped up beyond their capabilities, given that people see them fighting in films, they translate it to real life, surely someone like bruce lee who has practice martial arts their whole life can fight, but Bruce is probably the most over hyped of all, there tons of people out there that seriously think Bruce could beat a guy like Tyson. I use that one as an example cause I remember reading a thread sayingt that on the forums here. Hes got a cult following and his fans are a bit out of reality.

Dont shit on Bruce. Shit on the nerds who tries to make him into their Jesus.

You brought up credibility without a leg to crane-kick on.

Credibility?? I am the off-spring of an elite Shotokan champion who holds a higher rank than MJW, the highest, and won gold in European Championships 1978. MJW cannot punch worth a shit. Just that simple. I've seen the best Karatekas punch as you might figure.

^There's literally a plethora of great fighters who never fought with their hands at their heads. lol

Anyhow, on one hand, I get it. On the other hand, so the fuck what? If anyone is allowing fanboy remarks to discredit something that is not incorrect, that's equally as idiotic as the shit the fanboys say. If everyone quit trying to compartmentalize everyone else, Martial Arts would make a ton more sense. For all the nonsense about Bruce Lee, there are LEGITIMATE fighters who stated that not only could he fight, but they've seen him fight. If that's not good enough for someone on a message board then that says more about message board guy than Bruce Lee. Hyping means diddly-fuck, and yet when people want to publicly shit on someone who makes money with it, the make a big deal about they hyping themselves. Either they're right or wrong, or can fight or not.

i can kind of relate it back to the thread we had a while ago about coaches that never fought. My boxing coach is one of the best boxing coaches I have come across, he has never competed, but he definitely can fight. Not trying to discredit Bruce as the majority of posts I said about him i make sure to point out the good things he did, which falls under his movies, speed, strength for his size, philosophies, just try to point out to the fanboys they are out of touch with reality. I was hyped up on Bruce when I was younger, I read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do etc and am familiar with JKD. the gym I was training at, at the time influenced my Bruce Lee liking or what not because the coach was directly trained by Dan Inosanto so he was all big on JKD and Kali Silat, I used to have all kinds of Bruce Lee posters on my walls and shit. I just find it annoying when theres people out there that genuinely think he could beat a guy like tyson, and will give you all sorts of reasons as to why, because JKD is too deadly for the ring or what not. Can the guy fight yeah, is he the greatest fighter that ever lived capable of beating some of the actual greatest fighters that ever lived that are twice his size, no.

Last edited:
i can kind of relate it back to the thread we had a while ago about coaches that never fought. My boxing coach is one of the best boxing coaches I have come across, he has never competed, but he definitely can fight.
You're sticking up for me AGAIN.<Aug3>

i can kind of relate it back to the thread we had a while ago about coaches that never fought. My boxing coach is one of the best boxing coaches I have come across, he has never competed, but he definitely can fight. Not trying to discredit Bruce as the majority of posts I said about him i make sure to point out the good things he did, which falls under his movies, speed, strength for his size, philosophies, just try to point out to the fanboys they are out of touch with reality. I was hyped up on Bruce when I was younger, I read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do etc and am familiar with JKD. the gym I was training at, at the time influenced my Bruce Lee liking or what not because the coach was directly trained by Dan Inosanto so he was all big on JKD and Kali Silat, I used to have all kinds of Bruce Lee posters on my walls and shit. I just find it annoying when theres people out there that genuinely think he could beat a guy like tyson, and will give you all sorts of reasons as to why, because JKD is too deadly for the ring or what not. Can the guy fight yeah, is he the greatest fighter that ever lived capable of beating some of the actual greatest fighters that ever lived that are twice his size, no.

Sure but taking that out on Bruce's character makes no sense. That kind of person is going to be delusional about almost everything.

Sure but taking that out on Bruce's character makes no sense. That kind of person is going to be delusional about almost everything.

yeah and for some reason he has a lot of delusional "cult" followers. Its not his fault he has some weird cult following but I didn't attack his character, rather his fighting ability perceived by the general public, I just dont think he is as great a fighter as the general public perceives him to be as most seem to think he can compete with the elite fighters of today. What he did was change the martial arts world with his concepts and philosophies. As a experienced boxer, fighter, and coach, what do you think of his JKD?

yeah and for some reason he has a lot of delusional "cult" followers. Its not his fault he has some weird cult following but I didn't attack his character, rather his fighting ability perceived by the general public, I just dont think he is as great a fighter as the general public perceives him to be as most seem to think he can compete with the elite fighters of today. What he did was change the martial arts world with his concepts and philosophies. As a experienced boxer, fighter, and coach, what do you think of his JKD?

I am one of those dudes who don't think it's fair to judge someone ability as a fighter based on bag or pad work. Having said that, technically speaking, Lee does not strike me as someone who could walk into a full contact setting and be a champion. Not saying he can't be trained for it. Chuck Norris wrote a piece that he believes Bruce would have been a point fighting world champion, and I tend to agree. He was ahead of his time compared to the point fighters in existence, including Chuck.

I am one of those dudes who don't think it's fair to judge someone ability as a fighter based on bag or pad work. Having said that, technically speaking, Lee does not strike me as someone who could walk into a full contact setting and be a champion. Not saying he can't be trained for it. Chuck Norris wrote a piece that he believes Bruce would have been a point fighting world champion, and I tend to agree. He was ahead of his time compared to the point fighters in existence, including Chuck.

chuck and bruce are similar in a lot of ways

I wasnt talking about you, just about the practice in general. However, I think you're misrepresenting the general public. Or at least, thinking of it out of context. He can beat people...at what? An MMA match? A boxing match? When you get to street fighting theres so many variables you may as well just insert them onto a battlefield. However, remember I said there are CREDIBLE competitive fighters who knew and trained with the guy, their feedback should be good enough for anyone.

I dont hold an opinion of his specific Art, just as I dont hold an opinion on everything MJW can do. Holding such an opinion on what's virtually unknown save for second-hand information is the exact thing I'm discouraging. Unfortunately the internet has emboldened precisely that practice. That said, remember he was one of few people in his day suggesting that everyone in America doing Martial Arts should ACTUALLY hit each other. That should tell us a lot.

I wasnt talking about you, just about the practice in general. However, I think you're misrepresenting the general public. Or at least, thinking of it out of context. He can beat people...at what? An MMA match? A boxing match? When you get to street fighting theres so many variables you may as well just insert them onto a battlefield. However, remember I said there are CREDIBLE competitive fighters who knew and trained with the guy, their feedback should be good enough for anyone.

I dont hold an opinion of his specific Art, just as I dont hold an opinion on everything MJW can do. Holding such an opinion on what's virtually unknown save for second-hand information is the exact thing I'm discouraging. Unfortunately the internet has emboldened precisely that practice. That said, remember he was one of few people in his day suggesting that everyone in America doing Martial Arts should ACTUALLY hit each other. That should tell us a lot.

lol that is a good point regarding getting hit, it reminds me of this quote of his. I could relate this back to our discussion regarding coaching. Knowing how to do a technique is not enough, you must be able to do it yourself to teach it to another, being able to do a technique is not enough, you must know how to use/apply it, and thats only learned through actually using/applying it.

2d62bcf77a723b8fe4d17dd3972f181b.jpg

That said, remember he was one of few people in his day suggesting that everyone in America doing Martial Arts should ACTUALLY hit each other. That should tell us a lot.

WOW. I'm convinced

There is a very very easy concept what to do in western martial arts if you think you are doing something better than others and thats why they evolved so much:

Take a fight and show up or shut up. (yeah I know about his "fights" in the 80s)

Most boxers have "flaws" even at elite level. Its why basics are for basic training and then styles get individualised. You will near always have a weakness.

But this guy never mastered basics because he would had to execute them in a fight to see if its working. His jab example is so laughable. Its the classic TMA crap they pulled in Tai Chi with us. Yeah telegraph two jabs and then do it without with no force at all. YOU ARE A MASTER!

Now throw a proper jab in fight with power while moving and defending.

Hollywood and their big egos. He is so full of himself it was hard to watch. Reminds me if the Wing Chun coaches in our area.

I prefer coaches and fighters with real fight experience.
That is a jab execution hello mama :D (I am sure MJW can tell Ike what he is doing wrong)

one of my training partners fought ike in early 2000s crazy popping jab

Credibility?? I am the off-spring of an elite Shotokan champion who holds a higher rank than MJW, the highest, and won gold in European Championships 1978.

Yeah but what have you done?

Now you're sounding a TINY bit smarter than normal

Why would it make us reconsider MJW's proficiency at pugilism for the more fact that he advocated full contact?

Or that he beat up guys street fighting? Guys who with all likelyhood know nothing about combat systems.

It's like bragging about beating a blind dude in a reading contest

You clearly have no idea what anyone actually said about Bruce Lee or why. Save for whatever second-hand internet notion cemented with confirmation bias

Credibility?? I am the off-spring of an elite Shotokan champion who holds a higher rank than MJW, the highest, and won gold in European Championships 1978. MJW cannot punch worth a shit. Just that simple. I've seen the best Karatekas punch as you might figure.

Hearing a lot about yer dad's achievements and very little 'bout yours there, spacetime.

Hearing a lot about yer dad's achievements and very little 'bout yours there, spacetime.
thats what happens with people who have none.

dude on my ship when i was in the navy always talked about how rich his parents were. (he's currently a heroine addict living out of his car, and complaining about the police 'harassing a homeless vet') when we served together every story he told pretty much boiled down to his dad got rich so he got to do stuff.

Back