Could this get you beat up at a grappling gym?

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
a friend from my youth (high school) claims to have gotten beaten up by some guys at a gym he recently started going to.

In high school he was a very good wrestler.
He went to a gym to start getting into the sport again.

Has little submission experience but still a good freestyle wrestler.

He was grappling against a gal who had made a comment about wrestlers not having any way to finish an opponent. To prove her wrong when they started grappling he got her in a can opener.
Which he claims was frowned upon.

Another day shortly after that a girl that was friends with the first gal made a comment about her doubting he could do that to her.
He said he was able to get her in a can opener with ease.

And this lead to some guys who were already pissed off about the first time to physically kick him out of the gym on this second occurrence.

Is a can opener frowned upon in a gym like this?

Are there some unwritten rules about not doing it to a girl?

Could you see a person actually getting physically accosted and tossed out of a gym for doing that to a girl?

World is huge, literally anything can happen.

In normal gyms you defend the can opener and armbar the guy if he refuses to give it up.

Also who puts a newbie to bjj freestyle wrestler vs girls instead of matching the wrestler with 170 lb + blue belt or higher partners?

Bad gym imo.

Last edited:
Way too much missing context to know.

Did they warn him about can opening girls? If they did, and he did it anyway, obviously not cool. If they didn't, that's in them.

If he's new, and a former wrestler to boot, chances are he was cranking shit too hard. Cranking necks hard, when you don't know what you're doing, is definitely frowned upon. For obvious reasons.

Also, who the fuck goes out of their way to prove that he can in fact beat up a girl? Weird flex.

Sounds like it might be a shitty gym if they're pairing up new guys with girls. My coach is very particular about which guys get paired with girls, because of the massive strength difference.

Tell your "friend" to chill out next time and maybe don't neck crank a bunch of chicks when he turns up to a new gym.

Hope this is a troll because it’s too many bjj trope’s mixed into one.

The asshole new wrestlers, girl bjj, the ego thing, that and can openers. LOL.

Can openers on girls oh boy!!!!!!

Anybody who talks too much about is ''non bjj'' skills is getting beat up at my gym. You shut up, listen to the coach, do the techniques properly, listen to your training partner's tips, roll as the best you can without spazzing and everything will go just fine. It's BJJ, everybody as a background in something (judo, wrestling, karate, rugby...), you're not the first and you won't be the last.

Also, when you roll with girls, it's not the time to try your strenght moves, there's a shit load of techniques, sweeps, guard passes and even submissions that won't rely on the fact that you're 50 pounds heavier and way stronger than a girl.

You know, sometimes I tap to girls who manage to catch me into an armbar or some gi chokes. Sure if I was just smashing her from start to finish of the roll, she wouldn't have been able to submit me. But even when I get tapped by a girl, I manage to summon my manhood and get an erection later on that night to please my girlfriend

You probably shouldnt beat up on the girl at the martial arts school you goto. You may get your ass kicked yes.

Anybody who talks too much about is ''non bjj'' skills is getting beat up at my gym. It's BJJ, everybody as a background in something (judo, wrestling, karate, rugby...), you're not the first and you won't be the last

I don't think, that good gyms purpose is to " beat " and there, for example, these Karate isn't single style and art at all, also their physical conditioning might be surprisingly different even if 2 karatekas comes form one club with equal belt and weight and equal age.
Too much they talk, then better for trainer to test them and arrange pair, instruct new guy properly before roll.
Then even more interesting, one of the most linear karate styles, so really mainly striking, had ~ 20 throvs / takedowns, there about this without seeing and ask isn't possible to tell drilled he even this enough ( for tournaments they use rarerly and mostly simple takedowns ) and what he assumes with safe throv meaning etc.
Semicontact guy, might happens, if started beat during roll? For example what you will tell to the other client after she/ he recieved blow with outcome KO or something worse than KO?

If there even unskilled but really strong unexperienced guy, he might injure lighter, weaker partner just cos dumb, not enough instructed and supervised...

I see tendence to prove arts superiority, nothing new with this, some Aikido, Karate " gyms " also had this tendency.

Providing the story is true , quite right he got kicked out , I can't stand those idiots going full berserk on some unsuspecting girls, what is that going to prove? I had couple situations in my club where I had to make it even with some idiot white belts going super hard when rolling with my 5"3 wife just because she's a blue belt... Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience for them.

Anybody who talks too much about is ''non bjj'' skills is getting beat up at my gym. You shut up, listen to the coach, do the techniques properly, listen to your training partner's tips, roll as the best you can without spazzing and everything will go just fine. It's BJJ, everybody as a background in something (judo, wrestling, karate, rugby...), you're not the first and you won't be the last.

Also, when you roll with girls, it's not the time to try your strenght moves, there's a shit load of techniques, sweeps, guard passes and even submissions that won't rely on the fact that you're 50 pounds heavier and way stronger than a girl.

You know, sometimes I tap to girls who manage to catch me into an armbar or some gi chokes. Sure if I was just smashing her from start to finish of the roll, she wouldn't have been able to submit me. But even when I get tapped by a girl, I manage to summon my manhood and get an erection later on that night to please my girlfriend

This bold 100%, except last sentence. The sub helps the chub <45><Moves><Lmaoo>

The asshole new wrestlers, girl bjj, the ego thing, that and can openers. LOL.
Actually had a super annoying greco Olympic medalist try to can opener me.
Luckily I have decent neck flexibility from being a wannabe berimbolo guy and after wasting like a minute of him trying to can opener me with all his might he noticed it's a idiotic move and let go. Luckily I'm not a girl so it doesn't fit the complete story.

Yeah he's getting tossed from most gyms. Your friend is a douche. Also I think you probably are because 1: your friend is and 2: you're too stupid to realize what a dumb fucking question this is.

giphy.gif

Oh, the days. I remember wrestling and doing judo (but focused on wrestling) and coming into my first bjj gym.. being aggressive and silly at times when rolling. I still kind of am, but a little bit more controlled.

Oh, the days. I remember wrestling and doing judo (but focused on wrestling) and coming into my first bjj gym.. being aggressive and silly at times when rolling. I still kind of am, but a little bit more controlled.

Ditto for me. When I first started rolling BJJ I was so used to exploding into everything from wrestling and Judo. I never roughed up girls but if I couldn't pass some dude's guard I would just go for goofy shit like a boston crab and sometimes got it.

Last edited:
Providing the story is true , quite right he got kicked out , I can't stand those idiots going full berserk on some unsuspecting girls, what is that going to prove? I had couple situations in my club where I had to make it even with some idiot white belts going super hard when rolling with my 5"3 wife just because she's a blue belt... Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience for them.

providing your story its true, what did you do ? did u say: 'u knocked her down, why dont you try to knock me down ? '

or what ?

im.interested how you engage 'em ?
what belts were you and them ?
how it ended ?

Back