Could this get you beat up at a grappling gym?

quitte curious how popular bjj is in russia id think due to sambo and other grappling it wouldnt be popular at all

BJJ is lucrative art also in all former soviet union and in EU / EEZ too.

The basic problem is, that BJJ and Muay Thai is more popular than good trainers available....

So if this was a female olympic medalist, and she's launching you 3 supleys in a row, yet you could stuff her with a Hard cross face and post... then what?
You wouldn't just ask her to chill on the supleys?

Or at boxing and she's a national ranked boxer and is doing her best to tee off on you?
Yet you got 60lbs on her and could simply ask her if you guys can work skills and timing.

Boxing is diff. But I think I would just end it if she was not being professional and going hard. I have not been there.

But for grappling, I guess it depends on the guy, but as a 170 lbs dude I don’t have any problem handling top ten ranked ufc girls with black belts. They may tap me, but I am still playing by @Quebec Nick rules (no smash / technical). I never feel like I am getting smashed.

It may be a maturity / skill thing. When I was younger there was this chick who was like a dude, total she male, pan am judo champ. I smashed her. And that was the wrong thing to do.

BJJ is lucrative art also in all former soviet union and in EU / EEZ too.

The basic problem is, that BJJ and Muay Thai is more popular than good trainers available....

well hell its always been that way thats why so many garage mma gyms were up years back with guys not even blue belt skilled

BJJ is only combat Art with increasing popularity to office workers that are able to pay more than average young guy <25 ....
Not all trainers works for MMA gyms for this reason.
Muay Thai looks lucrative also for teens, young males to learn for self defense or competiton in pure striking because in many countries concurence in ammy kicboxing is too hard in comparision with Muay Thai in places where MT is relatively new Art offered to learn.
There too, some good trainers don't work for MMA gyms but to convert kicboxers to MT, with young guys that don't have intent to compete in MMA etc.

@Quebec Nick rules (no smash / technical). I never feel like I am getting smashed.

It may be a maturity / skill thing. When I was younger there was this chick who was like a dude, total she male, pan am judo champ. I smashed her. And that was the wrong thing to do.

If the girl is huge and you can safely smash her maybe it's acceptable if that's what she wants.
Roger Gracie was brawling with Tayane Porfirio pretty hard but she is a lot heavier then he is and she is roided up to the gills and was having fun.
But I imagine that in most gyms beating up a girl to "prove a point" will very likely result in getting crushed hard in revenge by some dude.

Last edited:
Providing the story is true , quite right he got kicked out , I can't stand those idiots going full berserk on some unsuspecting girls, what is that going to prove? I had couple situations in my club where I had to make it even with some idiot white belts going super hard when rolling with my 5"3 wife just because she's a blue belt... Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience for them.

So your wife wasn't going hard on them, showing these guys that shes better than them?
Ive had females like this rolling. They are higher belts, and want to prove they can hang with guys. Even women have ego too, and maybe you only see what you want to see, as your ego is wanting to show these guys not to fuck with your wife?

Ive known several women that I take it easy with, but they are spazzing and using sloppy technique to crunch out joints etc.

It doesn't mean I went hard back, but maybe your wife has that ego and was gunning for these newbies, and it didn't work out in her favour?

I'm curious about @zeli_papa's situation myself. I suspect it's difficult if not impossible to be objective when watching someone get the better of your spouse or family member.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I'd been training for about a month at my current gym. I was a white belt with a wrestling and Judo background but I was coming off 6 years of no training so was rusty (I also had about a year and a half of previous BJJ). One of the purple belts told me to roll with his son, a 16 yo blue with 7 years BJJ and in his second year of HS wrestling. I spent some time in his guard but got to half guard and applied heavy shoulder pressure on his chin to try to pass to side control. He couldn't move and eventually let me pass. We were both about 165 lbs but he was 16 and I was 42.

When his dad (235 lbs and muscular) saw me applying shoulder pressure he jumped up in a huff, ran over, pulled me off his son and put me in a very hard cradle and cranked my neck hard. He said he wanted to "show me what it feels like when someone uses strength on you." Ironically, this guy himself was notorious at the school for using strength and size to overpower everyone and was responsible for the most injuries including many to myself. I was pretty upset considering he 1) had asked me to roll with his son 2) I was using shoulder pressure exactly as we had learned it the week before 3) It was obvious he was more upset about me getting the better of his son than anything I had been doing. His son had no injuries and wasn't even upset.

I went over after class to clear the air with the dad, and he was too proud to apologize but basically said "It's OK. You're a wrestler. He's a wrestler. He needs to learn to deal with top pressure."

I'm curious about @zeli_papa's situation myself. I suspect it's difficult if not impossible to be objective when watching someone get the better of your spouse or family member.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I'd been training for about a month at my current gym. I was a white belt with a wrestling and Judo background but I was coming off 6 years of no training so was rusty (I also had about a year and a half of previous BJJ). One of the purple belts told me to roll with his son, a 16 yo blue with 7 years BJJ and in his second year of HS wrestling. I spent some time in his guard but got to half guard and applied heavy shoulder pressure on his chin to try to pass to side control. He couldn't move and eventually let me pass. We were both about 165 lbs but he was 16 and I was 42.

When his dad (235 lbs and muscular) saw me applying shoulder pressure he jumped up in a huff, ran over, pulled me off his son and put me in a very hard cradle and cranked my neck hard. He said he wanted to "show me what it feels like when someone uses strength on you." Ironically, this guy himself was notorious at the school for using strength and size to overpower everyone and was responsible for the most injuries including many to myself. I was pretty upset considering he 1) had asked me to roll with his son 2) I was using shoulder pressure exactly as we had learned it the week before 3) It was obvious he was more upset about me getting the better of his son than anything I had been doing. His son had no injuries and wasn't even upset.

I went over after class to clear the air with the dad, and he was too proud to apologize but basically said "It's OK. You're a wrestler. He's a wrestler. He needs to learn to deal with top pressure."
I hate idiots like that guy, I don't mind somebody rolling hard with my wife and tapping her left and right , it's a physical sport and you have to learn how to deal with pain, discomfort etc. both if it comes to your body and your ego. What I can't stand and won't tolerate is people being dicks especially if it comes to rolling with females . I'm not a world champion material but I can look after myself and being quite strong and big I know that I can handle any female , even if she's a higher belt and more technically proficient, the strength and size gap is just too great. That's why I can't imagine why guys need to prove anything by rolling hard with them? Also using dick moves like heavy knee on belly , crushing the chin when trying rnc etc , I won't tolerate something like that

So your wife wasn't going hard on them, showing these guys that shes better than them?
Ive had females like this rolling. They are higher belts, and want to prove they can hang with guys. Even women have ego too, and maybe you only see what you want to see, as your ego is wanting to show these guys not to fuck with your wife?

Ive known several women that I take it easy with, but they are spazzing and using sloppy technique to crunch out joints etc.

It doesn't mean I went hard back, but maybe your wife has that ego and was gunning for these newbies, and it didn't work out in her favour?
You're right , everyone's got an ego, out of those 2 situations the first guy just proceeded to smash her from the beginning of the roll seeing that she's a higher belt, no provocation here, the second guy is big and strong and comes from striking background, she tapped him with a clean guillotine. He really tried to return the favour to the point of injuring her neck when trying some clumsy, snazzy fold pass on her. I've said that already, I don't mind hard rolls and people destroying each other , it's a part of the game, I've only got a.problem with the way it's done sometimes, you have to say that there's a difference with me controlling you from side control, spinning for an armbar and then giving you enough time to tap and me spazzing out, jumping on your back , flattening you while simultaneously pulling up your head with all my strength, crossfacing you till you can taste the blood in your mouth looking for some sloppy rnc? That's exactly what I'm talking about

I hate idiots like that guy, I don't mind somebody rolling hard with my wife and tapping her left and right , it's a physical sport and you have to learn how to deal with pain, discomfort etc. both if it comes to your body and your ego. What I can't stand and won't tolerate is people being dicks especially if it comes to rolling with females . I'm not a world champion material but I can look after myself and being quite strong and big I know that I can handle any female , even if she's a higher belt and more technically proficient, the strength and size gap is just too great. That's why I can't imagine why guys need to prove anything by rolling hard with them? Also using dick moves like heavy knee on belly , crushing the chin when trying rnc etc , I won't tolerate something like that

Your attitude sounds reasonable but I think it's best to take gender out of the equation. The women at my gym don't want special treatment. At least one of them has complained about guys patronizing them by going "dead fish" and just giving up positions and subs. The two women at the classes I'm in are a 110 lbs blue and a ~160 lbs purple. The blue is very athletic and trained gymnastics/cheerleading when she was younger. She's also very aggressive and just goes for it on the mat. She does have good technique but with her personality and game I think if she was a strong 235 lbs guy, she'd be smash passing and muscling guys like the BJJ dad in my post above does. The female purple is super laid back and relaxed and never muscles anything. But the most serious injury I've seen in the last year or so were these two drilling a DLR pass. Somehow the 110 lbs blue took a knee to the face which messed her face up with 9 breaks around her nose. She needed surgery to reset her nose and was out for 2 months before coming back to light drilling. The purple felt terrible but there were no hard feelings because it was obviously an accident. If the purple had been a guy, should some bigger and stronger guys have exacted retribution on her for hurting a "smaller, more fragile woman?"

Personally I try to roll to the ability/size/strength of my partner but being on the wrong side of bigger stronger guys who go balls out is part of training and probably more common among smaller men than women. I'm strong for my size but usually the oldest guy in the class and at 170 lbs, commonly a smaller if not smallest (we have some behemoths). In the past 2.5 years I've had my nose broken twice, both elbows and shoulders cranked and hyperextended, 2 fingers badly sprained with one joint now permanently deformed, floating ribs dislocated and my lips and tongue cut and bloodied more times than I can count from aggressive cross-faces or neck cranks. I've literally only ever been injured rolling with bigger guys, from white to purple. Hell, our 3rd degree BB head instructor once cranked my shoulder after I tapped - not sure WTF but I gave him the benefit of the doubt he didn't feel me tap. One of the biggest offenders is a ~190 lbs purple who has good technique but applies massive strength and frequent cross-faces and neck cranks.

Every time I've been accidentally injured by a bigger guy, the worst thing would be if some bigger, younger guy white knighted for me. Not sure if it applies to your example, but unless someone is intentionally trying to hurt your wife/family member, appropriate action IMO is stop the roll, point out to the guy he's being too rough and remind him he's got 70 lbs or whatever on your wife. Simply grabbing him and intentionally roughing him up to "teach him a lesson" is just schoolyard bully behavior and makes you a bigger offender than he was, just like the BJJ dad in my example above.

Last edited:
why would anyone put a can opener on a girl even if they talked smack to u?

untrained guys have a good chance of killing trained girls, what would be the point aside from stupid ego to even do such a thing

I agree, I've kind of had this before although completely different.

I was at a gym I was about 75kg (165) and a white belt but I had done a lot of no gi so I was about a high blue belt/low purple belt level.

I rolled with a female purple belt who was about 65kg (145), I rolled with her about 10 times, most of it was guard passing, quite technical stuff, I was using the majority of my strength but being slow. I had absolutely no sense that she was getting frustrated but a few people in that gym got frustrated with me because I was the white belt and doing a lot better than they expected at least at first. If I had have gone light with her, the solution would have been me essentially "losing" every time.

One day the woman's boyfriend who was a brown belt and about 65kg came up to me and asked if I wanted to roll, I agreed and didn't think much of it at first, when the roll started he seemed very aggressive and I twigged something was off, he soon targeted my ankles at all costs so I abandoned any positional sense in order to defend any kind of leg lock giving away my back at all costs, he made no attempt to sink a choke and only stopped rolling once time had been called for the third time. Thinking about it later it had to be some kind of set up.

why would anyone put a can opener on a girl even if they talked smack to u?

untrained guys have a good chance of killing trained girls, what would be the point aside from stupid ego to even do such a thing

I agree, I've kind of had this before although completely different.

I was at a gym I was about 75kg (165) and a white belt but I had done a lot of no gi so I was about a high blue belt/low purple belt level.

I rolled with a female purple belt who was about 65kg (145), I rolled with her about 10 times, most of it was guard passing, quite technical stuff, I was using the majority of my strength but being slow. I had absolutely no sense that she was getting frustrated but a few people in that gym got frustrated with me because I was the white belt and doing a lot better than they expected at least at first. If I had have gone light with her, the solution would have been me essentially "losing" every time.

One day the woman's boyfriend who was a brown belt and about 65kg came up to me and asked if I wanted to roll, I agreed and didn't think much of it at first, when the roll started he seemed very aggressive and I twigged something was off, he soon targeted my ankles at all costs so I abandoned any positional sense in order to defend any kind of leg lock giving away my back at all costs, he made no attempt to sink a choke and only stopped rolling once time had been called for the third time. Thinking about it later it had to be some kind of set up.

Whether we admit it or not, everyone has an ego and it shapes the way we roll and how we react. Personally I think putting a can opener on a girl (if you're much larger and stronger) is a dick move, but it IS a legit technique albeit easily countered. But if a guy wants to put it on, and the girl feels it and can't pull off a counter, she should tap immediately and no harm no foul. The relaxed female purple in my class says she doesn't mind guys who go hard because it keeps her honest, and if they want to crank something, she just taps and has never had a big injury.

The same applies to the aggressive male purple I referred to above - most guys in the class will tap immediately when he puts on an aggressive choke over the chin, etc. and they don't get hurt. Some guys (myself admittedly with my wrestling mentality) will refuse to accept defeat and fight it. Maybe half the time I'll escape with a cut lip. Other times I'll be forced to tap and I've also gone out more than a few times against this guy. Rolling with him is not a pleasant experience but he's using a legitimate combo of technique + strength and if I can't deal with it, it's on me to up my game, NOT complain that he's using too much strength. EVERYONE uses strength. It's an attribute of game just like flexibility, cardio, speed, chaining techniques, etc.

But it's the coach's responsibility to pair people appropriately and ensure safe rolls, NOT fellow students who want retributive justice. FFS you're training to choke and hyperextend each other's joints. It's not hopscotch.

Last edited:
Your attitude sounds reasonable but I think it's best to take gender out of the equation. The women at my gym don't want special treatment. At least one of them has complained about guys patronizing them by going "dead fish" and just giving up positions and subs. The two women at the classes I'm in are a 110 lbs blue and a ~160 lbs purple. The blue is very athletic and trained gymnastics/cheerleading when she was younger. She's also very aggressive and just goes for it on the mat. She does have good technique but with her personality and game I think if she was a strong 235 lbs guy, she'd be smash passing and muscling guys like the BJJ dad in my post above does. The female purple is super laid back and relaxed and never muscles anything. But the most serious injury I've seen in the last year or so were these two drilling a DLR pass. Somehow the 110 lbs blue took a knee to the face which messed her face up with 9 breaks around her nose. She needed surgery to reset her nose and was out for 2 months before coming back to light drilling. The purple felt terrible but there were no hard feelings because it was obviously an accident. If the purple had been a guy, should some bigger and stronger guys have exacted retribution on her for hurting a "smaller, more fragile woman?"

Personally I try to roll to the ability/size/strength of my partner but being on the wrong side of bigger stronger guys who go balls out is part of training and probably more common among smaller men than women. I'm strong for my size but usually the oldest guy in the class and at 170 lbs, commonly a smaller if not smallest (we have some behemoths). In the past 2.5 years I've had my nose broken twice, both elbows and shoulders cranked and hyperextended, 2 fingers badly sprained with one joint now permanently deformed, floating ribs dislocated and my lips and tongue cut and bloodied more times than I can count from aggressive cross-faces or neck cranks. I've literally only ever been injured rolling with bigger guys, from white to purple. Hell, our 3rd degree BB head instructor once cranked my shoulder after I tapped - not sure WTF but I gave him the benefit of the doubt he didn't feel me tap. One of the biggest offenders is a ~190 lbs purple who has good technique but applies massive strength and frequent cross-faces and neck cranks.

Every time I've been accidentally injured by a bigger guy, the worst thing would be if some bigger, younger guy white knighted for me. Not sure if it applies to your example, but unless someone is intentionally trying to hurt your wife/family member, appropriate action IMO is stop the roll, point out to the guy he's being too rough and remind him he's got 70 lbs or whatever on your wife. Simply grabbing him and intentionally roughing him up to "teach him a lesson" is just schoolyard bully behavior and makes you a bigger offender than he was, just like the BJJ dad in my example above.
Some fair points you've raised, it's not a gender thing for me , when I roll with much smaller guys I'm gonna just play from the bottom and work my guard retention, sweeps etc, I most definitely won't go full competition mode and smash them from the top like there's no tomorrow, I don't see how that would be beneficial for any party, unless the smaller guy is much higher level skill wise, then I'll try my best to rip him another arsehole, usually with mixed effect lol.
If it comes to rolling with women I totally agree , there's nothing worse than the other person lying flat and giving up everything, I find it a bit disrespectful to be honest so I'll play normally with them, I'd just avoid certain things , for example I'll be on my knees when in side control instead of driving my weight through them etc, I won't give them subs , I'll let get into the position but I'll defend from them and se what they do etc that way we both get something out of the training .
I'd seriously consider changing the club if was you, it's ridiculous to get injured so often unless you train 7 days a week etc. Fingers, ribs etc that can happen any time with no fault of the others but if you get your shit cranked after you tap... well , I'd avoid that place, seriously. Also I'd never white knight for some guy(that'd be gay) but I'd stand up to anyone if they came in and started bullying weaker, smaller people .

If the girl is huge and you can safely smash her maybe it's acceptable if that's what she wants.
Roger Gracie was brawling with Tayane Porfirio pretty hard but she is a lot heavier then he is and she is roided up to the gills and was having fun.
But I imagine that in most gyms beating up a girl to "prove a point" will very likely result in getting crushed hard in revenge by some dude.

We have one hell of a girl, 6'2, about 180 pounds, very good looking, very rough (she's a ''policewoman'') I smash her a little more than the other girls, but no explosive subs, no cranking she has crazy flexible and strong legs but her upper body is still weaker than a guy's would be.

Some fair points you've raised, it's not a gender thing for me , when I roll with much smaller guys I'm gonna just play from the bottom and work my guard retention, sweeps etc, I most definitely won't go full competition mode and smash them from the top like there's no tomorrow, I don't see how that would be beneficial for any party, unless the smaller guy is much higher level skill wise, then I'll try my best to rip him another arsehole, usually with mixed effect lol.
If it comes to rolling with women I totally agree , there's nothing worse than the other person lying flat and giving up everything, I find it a bit disrespectful to be honest so I'll play normally with them, I'd just avoid certain things , for example I'll be on my knees when in side control instead of driving my weight through them etc, I won't give them subs , I'll let get into the position but I'll defend from them and se what they do etc that way we both get something out of the training .
I'd seriously consider changing the club if was you, it's ridiculous to get injured so often unless you train 7 days a week etc. Fingers, ribs etc that can happen any time with no fault of the others but if you get your shit cranked after you tap... well , I'd avoid that place, seriously. Also I'd never white knight for some guy(that'd be gay) but I'd stand up to anyone if they came in and started bullying weaker, smaller people .

Agree with almost everything you wrote. Sounds like you might also come from a wrestling background. I had years of wrestling and Judo before transitioning to BJJ so it's pretty easy for me to "flip the switch" on intensity depending on situation and who I'm rolling with. But most untrained white belts can't do that and don't know any better. The worst class at our school is the white belt fundamentals class - it's full of 20-something guys that forgot to check their egos at the door, going balls out trying to mash each other into paste.

On my injuries, most of those were in my first year training at my school and at least some were on me for being too tense during the roll. I've not really gotten hurt seriously in the past year and it's probably due to 1) being more relaxed when on bottom and finding my game 2) being selective who I roll with. I have a reputation as the scrappy old man who doesn't tap, but my general rule is if someone has any joint lock whether knee bar, kimura, juji gatame, I tap early and often. But on chokes or over-the-chin cranks, I'm not tapping unless I'm about to go out or already out. More often than not, I can create space and let other guy gas his arms/legs out or otherwise give up the choke - unless it's the purple belt enforcer I mentioned above. However there's a 250 lbs white belt neanderthal that I avoid like the plague. Nice guy but strong af and has no control. When it's time to pair up, everyone around him turns away and looks at someone else like the Red Sea parting around him. If I'm the odd man out and get stuck with him, I tell him I'm not feeling it today and ask if we can just drill moves or maybe go 50% (his "50%" is actually 200%).

On cranking past the tap, only guy who's done that to me was our 3rd degree head instructor. I know WTF. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but he does have a mean streak and that roll was 2 weeks before he had a fight coming up. But that guy seldom teaches class and our main BB instructor is fantastic. Other than that one roll, there's not a single instance I can recall where someone was legitimately trying to hurt me - even the purple belt enforcer, if he's cranking on something and I say "Urgg..." without tapping, will stop immediately and check on me.

Last edited:

Wtf a middle aged man pulled you off his son, was able to control you, and put you in a cradle? The gym let him do this? Lol

Wtf a middle aged man pulled you off his son, was able to control you, and put you in a cradle? The gym let him do this? Lol

He wasn't an instructor but he was running the class that day (four stripe purple at the time) because the BB couldn't make it for whatever reason. I think he was 46 at the time, only a little older than me. Like me, he was a Judo brown and had trained Sambo before that but has about 65 lbs on me and built like a bodybuilder. If you think a "middle aged man" can't manhandle people, you should come train at my school.

But yeah, this guy didn't have the best bedside manner, which is probably why the coach doesn't normally let him teach class.

Last edited:
Middle aged doesn't means weak and slow.
Not rarerly that he is maybe just 1% weaker than in his 25 years was, yes, recovery time growths quicker than other things, but it doesn't impacts fighting abilities for 1 - 2 minutes at all if he was good athlete.
Many powerful athletes stop competing in tournaments just because seriously increased recovery time after bout/ rolls.
Some get it in 26 years of age, some in 40 or 42 ....
Grip from 45 years old isn't weaker than from 20 years old even if they able do equal weightlifting load etc workouts.
Why for example weightlifters retires? You are able to lift 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5% less than previous years, young generation is able lift maybe 1 - 2 % more and this might put one from top 3 to just top 12 - top 20 and then one is not perspective anymore.
Did it make them quickly so weak? Of course no.

He wasn't an instructor but he was running the class that day (four stripe purple at the time) because the BB couldn't make it for whatever reason. I think he was 46 at the time, only a little older than me. Like me, he was a Judo brown and had trained Sambo before that but has about 65 lbs on me and built like a bodybuilder. If you think a "middle aged man" can't manhandle people, you should come train at my school.

But yeah, this guy didn't have the best bedside manner, which is probably why the coach doesn't normally let him teach class.

You forgot to mention he was running the class. He should be fired/relieved of his instructor duties.

I thought thenguy was a soccer dad and litterally ran on the map to shove your sh#t in.

You forgot to mention he was running the class. He should be fired/relieved of his instructor duties.

I thought thenguy was a soccer dad and litterally ran on the map to shove your sh#t in.

Kind of agree, without being there that situation sounds weird AF.

You can’t 2 vs 1 people if you are supposed to be teaching a class.

Back