Could this get you beat up at a grappling gym?

You forgot to mention he was running the class. He should be fired/relieved of his instructor duties.

I thought thenguy was a soccer dad and litterally ran on the map to shove your sh#t in.

Kind of agree, without being there that situation sounds weird AF.

You can’t 2 vs 1 people if you are supposed to be teaching a class.

Can't remember exactly, but I think it was free rolling after class had ended. There were 3 people who stayed after, besides the BJJ dad who had subbed in to teach the class. He told me to roll with his son while he worked with the other guy. I think he walked over to watch our roll when he saw me applying shoulder pressure to pass on his son and freaked out.

That guy has a more heavy handed style (both personality and rolling style) than most people at our school including the main instructors, but that was the only truly inappropriate thing I recall him doing. I think he just flipped out and was being over-protective of his son. Reason I brought it up ITT was to illustrate that sometimes people can freak out if they see their wife/child/SO rolling with someone stronger who's getting the better of them, even if it's just a regular roll and no one is getting hurt, as was the case with me and his son.

Last edited:
You're right , everyone's got an ego, out of those 2 situations the first guy just proceeded to smash her from the beginning of the roll seeing that she's a higher belt, no provocation here, the second guy is big and strong and comes from striking background, she tapped him with a clean guillotine. He really tried to return the favour to the point of injuring her neck when trying some clumsy, snazzy fold pass on her. I've said that already, I don't mind hard rolls and people destroying each other , it's a part of the game, I've only got a.problem with the way it's done sometimes, you have to say that there's a difference with me controlling you from side control, spinning for an armbar and then giving you enough time to tap and me spazzing out, jumping on your back , flattening you while simultaneously pulling up your head with all my strength, crossfacing you till you can taste the blood in your mouth looking for some sloppy rnc? That's exactly what I'm talking about

From your calm response, I feel like you know what youre talking about, and the white belt probably was going balls to the wall on your wife.
Is this kid not like this with every roll? If he is, then theres 2 scenarios here IMO.
1. Your wife stays the hell away from him if hes being a jerk.
or 2. She makes sure she rolls with him more often, and taps his ass out on the regular, in the process her game will go through the roof if shes handling bigger, spazzing men.
Is the guy still in the class?

a friend from my youth (high school) claims to have gotten beaten up by some guys at a gym he recently started going to.

In high school he was a very good wrestler.
He went to a gym to start getting into the sport again.

Has little submission experience but still a good freestyle wrestler.

He was grappling against a gal who had made a comment about wrestlers not having any way to finish an opponent. To prove her wrong when they started grappling he got her in a can opener.
Which he claims was frowned upon.

Another day shortly after that a girl that was friends with the first gal made a comment about her doubting he could do that to her.
He said he was able to get her in a can opener with ease.

And this lead to some guys who were already pissed off about the first time to physically kick him out of the gym on this second occurrence.

Is a can opener frowned upon in a gym like this?

Are there some unwritten rules about not doing it to a girl?

Could you see a person actually getting physically accosted and tossed out of a gym for doing that to a girl?

A can opener.
The submission that is a spinal lock.
Well it is banned in my club because we don't allow spinal lock
Just like we ban heel hooks.

From your calm response, I feel like you know what youre talking about, and the white belt probably was going balls to the wall on your wife.
Is this kid not like this with every roll? If he is, then theres 2 scenarios here IMO.
1. Your wife stays the hell away from him if hes being a jerk.
or 2. She makes sure she rolls with him more often, and taps his ass out on the regular, in the process her game will go through the roof if shes handling bigger, spazzing men.
Is the guy still in the class?
Handling bigger, spazzing men is not a good way for women to train. It's dangerous and super hard on the body.

Handling bigger, spazzing men is not a good way for women to train. It's dangerous and super hard on the body.

So its ok for manlets to train with 6 foot 2, 220lb guys?

For your information, most women ive trained with, they want the battles, and have no problem training with bigger men.

Isnt that why most people train BJJ ?

So its ok for manlets to train with 6 foot 2, 220lb guys?

For your information, most women ive trained with, they want the battles, and have no problem training with bigger men.

Isnt that why most people train BJJ ?
It's not good for manlets. I mostly try to berimbolo their asses in training. When I last competed with a featherweight in an absolute at a comp and rag dolled him, stacking him on his head and putting pressure he was even initially scared when I wanted to chat at the next competition .

I dunno.
Girl: You can't can-opener me because you can-openered my friend and you are a loser.
Me: Meh (walks away).
Girl: You scared bro?
Me: Hold my beer.

A can opener.
The submission that is a spinal lock.
Well it is banned in my club because we don't allow spinal lock
Just like we ban heel hooks.

We didn't ban heel hooks at my club, but at that point in time, there's no dumbasses who attempts them and no dumbasses that won't tap. But everybody in our little leglock gang knows that if there's one freak incident and it's over.

Back