Could Tony have rolled with that heel hook

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
I feel like he wasn’t really trapped and could have rolled but idk was the foot really holding him there

Maybe someone with mma experience can chime in

Is it easier or harder to lock up a heel hook with gloves on? I can see both conceptually

If he rolled he might have made it worse. The spin will relieve the pressure for a second, but once they catch up to you the momentum will most likely cause more damage. Often times if you spin you end up belly down which makes it hard for the attacker to control their hip pressure and IMO where the worst breaks happen. Watch Craig Jones vs Vinny Magales. Once a sub it locked, trying to explode out is usually when the worst breaks occur.

You can’t roll anywhere until you clear the knee line first.
Benny had deep control right up to the hip, so no, Tony categorically could not have rolled out, he was stuck.

1. Clear the knee line (or at the very least create ample space )
2. Free the leg (can be achieved by rolling or just pulling out)

Tony would have needed to slip the heel before he could roll, however he was making no attempt to do that, neither with his captured foot nor with his hands. He just kind of laid there like ‘let’s see what you got’ punch-me Anderson Silva style, which I think is really bad strategy, akin to playing head-on chicken except only the other guy is in a car & you’re exposed. Lucky for him Dariush has almost no ashi here, or at least a very lazy one, his legs aren’t locked & he’s basically trying to finish it with just his arms, and he chose a shitty grip on top of it (s-grip). Eventually he switches to a much better vine grip, but it’s too late, as Tony finally woke up & started at least trying to kick his way out of the hold.

(disclaimer: I realize it’s very easy to say all this shit at home from the safety of my couch covered in cheetoz dust, but still)

Tony would have needed to slip the heel before he could roll, however he was making no attempt to do that, neither with his captured foot nor with his hands. He just kind of laid there like ‘let’s see what you got’ punch-me Anderson Silva style, which I think is really bad strategy, akin to playing head-on chicken except only the other guy is in a car & you’re exposed. Lucky for him Dariush has almost no ashi here, or at least a very lazy one, his legs aren’t locked & he’s basically trying to finish it with just his arms, and he chose a shitty grip on top of it (s-grip). Eventually he switches to a much better vine grip, but it’s too late, as Tony finally woke up & started at least trying to kick his way out of the hold.

(disclaimer: I realize it’s very easy to say all this shit at home from the safety of my couch covered in cheetoz dust, but still)

It wasn't in tight that why tonys ankle blew instead of his knee.

Not at that point. Maybe earlier on but at that point it looked locked in.

This is a situation in which I feel in mma you should be allowed to kick an opponent in the head when you're both down. I mean they're trying to destroy your leg so it should be fair play right?

This is a situation in which I feel in mma you should be allowed to kick an opponent in the head when you're both down. I mean they're trying to destroy your leg so it should be fair play right?

I think kicks & knees to the head of a grounded opponent should be legal anyway, but yeah certainly when the other guy is completely grounded as well, as in an ashi situation, for sure it should be allowed. If upkicks are legal, ashi kicks should be legal.

That’s a really good point.

I’m also in agreement that kneeing downed opponents and kicking other downed opponents when downed should be legal.

That’s a really good point.
I understand the aesthetics of it (doesn't look that great to the 'mercian audience) but I mean dana white is the figure head of the organization and it's not like he oozes professionalism and appealing to every day americans.

I just feel like if someone is going to drop for that leg and you're both down then it should be far play because heel hooks, no matter how you spin it, are potentially career enders.

well if that's the case they should allow upkicks as well and while at it also let them hit in the back of the head to increase the realism ffs

well if that's the case they should allow upkicks as well and while at it also let them hit in the back of the head to increase the realism ffs
Upkicks 100% yes. Headbutts too, even soccer kicks and stomps I'm down for

Rabbit punches...those are pretty dangerous, not sure about that one, the line has to be drawn somewhere and I think drawing it before rabbit punches, strikes to the spine, fish-hooks and eye gauging, small joint attacks might make sense. Those are just too maiming

Upkicks 100% yes. Headbutts too, even soccer kicks and stomps I'm down for

Rabbit punches...those are pretty dangerous, not sure about that one, the line has to be drawn somewhere and I think drawing it before rabbit punches, strikes to the spine, fish-hooks and eye gauging, small joint attacks might make sense. Those are just too maiming

and Johny Jone's constant eye-poking and kick stomps to the knees are just fine, that's why he was UFC champion for so many years, it's just that they want the flashier looking fighters on the spot to make more money from the PPV, if you put in headbutts and upkicks the game changes drastically like the early ufc or pancrase who had no real weight classes or anybody looking descent

Back