Cracked AR Bolt

jericksen5

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Have a Palmetto State Armory AR-15 that I stripped for cleaning and discovered the bolt was cracked. Looks like it cracked at the cam pin. Anyone ever have an issue like this before?

Attachments

• A168447A-B07A-41B3-981C-AC67309325F5.jpeg
    A168447A-B07A-41B3-981C-AC67309325F5.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 20
Have a Palmetto State Armory AR-15 that I stripped for cleaning and discovered the bolt was cracked. Looks like it cracked at the cam pin. Anyone ever have an issue like this before?

I've seen it before. Bolt will eventually break at some point be it at the lugs or cam. But quality bolt should last 10-20k+ rounds.

How many rounds do you have on it?

Ejection pattern on the rifle?

Last edited:
I've seen it before. Bolt will eventually brake at some point be it at the lugs or cam. But quality bolt should last 10-20k+ rounds.

How many rounds do you have on it?

Ejection pattern on the rifle?
I probably only have 1000 rounds tops on it but I bought it 2nd hand on the cheap. Guy said he didn’t fire it much nor did it look like he did when j bought it, but you never know.

Haven’t had any issues with it. Ejection pattern is right and back and seemed normal.

I probably only have 1000 rounds tops on it but I bought it 2nd hand on the cheap. Guy said he didn’t fire it much nor did it look like he did when j bought it, but you never know.

Haven’t had any issues with it. Ejection pattern is right and back and seemed normal.

Just a cheap bolt then. Maybe material, heat treat, whatever. Quick google search shows numerous cheap bolts braking just like that at low round count.

Just a cheap bolt then. Maybe material, heat treat, whatever. Quick google search shows numerous cheap bolts braking just like that at low round count.
I bought a replacement bolt carrier group from PSA and I’m gonna just replace it and throw it up on armslist.

Yup.

I think I posted about it here back in 2011-12.

PSA has a very spotty reputation when it comes to QC and customer service. They've been busted for using rejected parts from other manufacturers like Aero and FNH.

I got a Fail Zero NiB bcg thats up to about 7k now. When you get the chance i suggest going with the nicer coated bolts. the longevity you squeeze out of them is pretty impressive. Hell, my Tungsten BCG in my 300 is probably going to destroy my upper before round count kills it. friction coefficient plus its hardness is lolworthy.

Didn’t see anywhere I could buy a replacement bolt on its own.

Should've gone with BCM.

Back