• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Creatine and peeing too frequently

Bme26

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is a noob question.

I just started taking creatine about 4 days ago and according to the instructions, I'm drinking upwards of a gallon day. I dont know if its normal, but I've been pissing like every 15-30 minutes. I dont mind it so much when I am home, but when I am driving to school (35 min drive) or sitting in class it gets crazy. Like today I was sitting in class and had to get up and piss 3 times. Or the day before, I was driving to school and I basically had to run to the bathroom once I parked. Is this normal?? am I able to drink the gallon or so of water later in the day??

You can drink less than a gallon per day if you find yourself peeing every 30 minutes. Cut it back a bit, and see how it goes. Maybe try 3/4 of a gallon, or 1/2.

I used to drink around a gallon a day when I used to take creatine and yeah you will need a piss but not every 15-30 minutes...

Just drink 3/4 or even less.

It's nothing to do with the actual creatine...it's just purely because you've increased your water intake and there's only one place it can go.

I've heard of gradually increasing your water intake rather than jumping from say 1/3 of a gallon to a full gallon in one go.

I drink about 1.5 gallons a day and I don't mind the excessive toilet visits, nice break from work :)

Sorry in advance if this is a noob question.

I just started taking creatine about 4 days ago and according to the instructions, I'm drinking upwards of a gallon day. I dont know if its normal, but I've been pissing like every 15-30 minutes. I dont mind it so much when I am home, but when I am driving to school (35 min drive) or sitting in class it gets crazy. Like today I was sitting in class and had to get up and piss 3 times. Or the day before, I was driving to school and I basically had to run to the bathroom once I parked. Is this normal?? am I able to drink the gallon or so of water later in the day??

There are a few things that could be contributing to your frequent urinating:

1. You're not used to drinking that much water, so, you're body is adjusting (kidneys, bladder)
2. You could be not getting enough salt & like minerals (I hate using that word). Try upping your salt intake a little bit and see if that helps.
3. You might actually have a UTI. The cheap home cure is to drink a gallon of cranberry juice per day, but, I can't recommend that while on creatine. See a doctor.
4. Prostate problems. There could be other things in your diet, or supplements you're taking, which are causing your prostate to contract and spasm. Supplements that contain DMAA and other fat-burners are known to cause prostate and urination problems for people. Doing a run of Saw Palmetto has helped me with this in the past. Also, you may want to see a doctor, but I'm not too sure how fond you are of a grown man (or woman) shoving two fingers up your ass and wiggling them around looking for problems. It's quite the..uhh...experience....so...I've heard...a friend told me...ya.

There are some other things out there but are less likely.

Keep your water intake up, but increase your salt intake, and maybe down regulate your water intake a little bit.

For the past two months I've upped my water intake from 500ml a day to 2L to a gallon a day. I have to urinate every half hour. It's annoying, but I have to deal with it.

For the past two months I've upped my water intake from 500ml a day to 2L to a gallon a day. I have to urinate every half hour. It's annoying, but I have to deal with it.

I have to say that when I upped my water intake to a gallon each day that my urination frequency was very high, but it calmed down over time.

There are a few things that could be contributing to your frequent urinating:

1. You're not used to drinking that much water, so, you're body is adjusting (kidneys, bladder)
2. You could be not getting enough salt & like minerals (I hate using that word). Try upping your salt intake a little bit and see if that helps.
3. You might actually have a UTI. The cheap home cure is to drink a gallon of cranberry juice per day, but, I can't recommend that while on creatine. See a doctor.
4. Prostate problems. There could be other things in your diet, or supplements you're taking, which are causing your prostate to contract and spasm. Supplements that contain DMAA and other fat-burners are known to cause prostate and urination problems for people. Doing a run of Saw Palmetto has helped me with this in the past. Also, you may want to see a doctor, but I'm not too sure how fond you are of a grown man (or woman) shoving two fingers up your ass and wiggling them around looking for problems. It's quite the..uhh...experience....so...I've heard...a friend told me...ya.

There are some other things out there but are less likely.

Keep your water intake up, but increase your salt intake, and maybe down regulate your water intake a little bit.

I'll look into the points that you have listed. After doing some further research I do think its just my bladder adjusting to the increase in water intake. Prior to this I didn't really drink as much water as I should of.....

Back