Creatine is affecting my sleep?!

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

For the first time in my life I have made a cocerted effect to use creative (5mg per day no loading) and its making me wake up during the night ever since I started taking it.

I am using the brand bulk supplements( seems like a decent brand on amazon) mixed berry flavour and taking it every day at 11am, but it still seems to effect me.

I wake up at like 3/4 wide awake and not that tired, although I do remember vivid dreams afterwards.

I would rather not stop taking it as I have noticed its benefits in the gym and also for recovery in BJJ.

Any help or advice here guys? I'm thinking of trying another brand with no flavoring added but I doubt an artificial sweetener could effect my sleep almost 12 hours later?

I have done a google search and it seems that this , while a rare occurance, does seem to effect some people.

Strange thing is I don't feel that sluggish during the day but I know it can't be good for my health getting broken sleep like this.

It is definately the creatine as I have not added anything else into my diet recently

Many thanks,

Try taking it first thing in the morning, cutting your dose in half to weigh any cuts in perceived benefits vs help sleeping and if those fail, stop taking it and look elsewhere. Some simple BCAA drinks might net you similar effects without the sleep issues.

I've heard of creatine actually improving sleep but I know someone who actual sleeps less whilst on creatine, as it apparently reduces sleep need so that's why you don't feel tired.

You say you wake up at 3-4 but what time do you go to sleep, most people need 8 even 10 hours while I train, use supplements and only need 5-7 hours.

Do you feel like you need to pee when you get up? As it does cause water retention.

Personally, the effects of creatine are overrated, I've trained with and without it, I believe most of your results are due to placebo, I had the same with intra workouts, it's a mental game.

You'll recover better with high protein with every meal. 3-5g leucine per meal. Daily protein need should be 0.75g-1g per lbs of bodyweight depending on your goals.

Imo, you should stop it if sleep does not improve, plenty of other supplements out there that are marketed as recovery without sleep issues like bcaa/eaa's, intra workouts etc

Cheers guys.
I take an intra BCAA workout drink already. I agree it does help for recovery
I usually go to sleep around 10.30/11 and then wake up at 4, no need to pee and isn't a bladder/retention issue.
Been feeling not shattered at work but I definately have a bit of brain fog due to lack of sleep and my temper is shorter.
I'm going to try and get a different brand and try again- I guess the another shot might be to take it immediately upon waking like at 8am , but it can cause a bit of dehydration and in the morning I know our bodies need water.

I'm actually working with a nutritionist at the moment for the first time in my life to try and gain weight as I had little clue before about dieting. I'm only circa 60kg so I'm wondering if the standard 5g dose might actually be too much for me , could try it at 3g and earlier and see how I get on.

I know it may be a placebo but I do think it has helped how my body has been feeling with recovery, especially when im lifting and doing BJJ.

Cheers guys.
I usually go to sleep around 10.30/11 and then wake up at 4, no need to pee and isn't a bladder/retention issue.
Been feeling not shattered at work but I definately have a bit of brain fog due to lack of sleep and my temper is shorter.
I'm going to try and get a different brand and try again- I guess the another shot might be to take it immediately upon waking like at 8am , but it can cause a bit of dehydration and in the morning I know our bodies need water.

I'm actually working with a nutritionist at the moment for the first time in my life to try and gain weight as I had little clue before about dieting. I'm only circa 60kg so I'm wondering if the standard 5g dose might actually be too much for me , could try it at 3g and earlier and see how I get on.

I know it may be a placebo but I do think it has helped how my body has been feeling with recovery, especially when im lifting and doing BJJ.

I think some studies say time of day doesn't matter while most actually suggest taking creatine after a workout along side protein as you've just broken down muscle.

Good shout on the 3g, I completely forgot about that. I used to do 3g (brand: myprotein creapure), plenty of people say 3g is enough. Maybe the lower dose might actually help. If you don't need to pee, you're already drinking plenty of water during the day and 3g doesn't improve things then maybe you need to stop.

Hopefully things improve

Cheers guys.

As other posters have said 3mg should be enough (especially at your weight). However I would be surprised that something you take at 11am is the reason for you waking up at 4. I found when I first got back into serious training that I was waking up because I was dehydrated (often hot as well). It took a while to get back into a good pattern.

I have found that a casien shake before bed really helps (I mix it half water half kefir) alongside a multi-vit and omega 3.
CBD is also great (but expensive at proper doses).

Ok so i don't feel thirsty when I wake up but I do feel hot?

I didn't take creatine yesturday and still had a shitty sleep- its only one day removed I guess?

Gonna wait a few days and see if it wears off ?

I've looked at Casien but wouldnt I get up and need the toilet that close to bed ?

Ok so i don't feel thirsty when I wake up but I do feel hot?

I didn't take creatine yesturday and still had a shitty sleep- its only one day removed I guess?

Gonna wait a few days and see if it wears off ?

I've looked at Casien but wouldnt I get up and need the toilet that close to bed ?

Honestly, protein is protein, I take casein so that I don't get hungry when I'm sleeping not because it's "feeding my muscles" while I sleep.

Casein takes 7-9 hours to digest, I take it 2 hours before bed because like you said, I will just end going to the toilet a couple of hours into my sleep if I take it straight before bed.

I use Trutein, pretty pricey but for me it's worth it because of the taste and the egg protein + casein means I sleep up to 9 hours without feeling hungry.

I forgot to ask, how long have you been taking creatine?

It takes a week or 2 for it to start leaving your muscles, 4 weeks total for it to be out of your system IF you've been taking it for many months but it's a couple of days or even a week then give it another day or two and it will be out.

I don't know if the heat is creatine related, you did say you're working with a nutritionist plus you work out so maybe your metabolism is faster now than before? Hard gainers usually have a high metabolism that's why they need to eat a lot of gain weight.

Try covering yourself in a lighter blanket, I have one of cheap usb mini fans next to my bed, the wind isn't strong so I stay kinda cool during sleep without getting a cold plus it makes no noise.

Last edited:
I've never had that issue but I always take it in the morning.

The only way you'll know for sure if you're tracking reps. That's where you'll see if there is a benefit to you. I write down every workout in a journal and then log it in a spreadsheet, along with which supplements I take.

I would never expect creatine to cause you to make massive gains but if you know exactly what you're capable of and track your improvements on and off of it you should have a pretty good idea of what it's doing. Even if you're getting that extra rep or two in a set, it's doing some good. It's more of an energy boost than anything while you work out because it increases ATP production.

I actually have been having the same issue and am suspecting it’s from creatine. Been waking up at 3 am absolutely drenched and am always hot when I wake up.

That's strange I've never seen a flavored creatine unless its mixed with something else like a preworkout. Usually a 5 g serving is pretty small so flavoring isn't totally necessary. I mix mine in a little Gatorade and water in the morning or early afternoon. Also I had good results when I used to take Kre alkalyn capsules

That's strange I've never seen a flavored creatine unless its mixed with something else like a preworkout. Usually a 5 g serving is pretty small so flavoring isn't totally necessary. I mix mine in a little Gatorade and water in the morning or early afternoon. Also I had good results when I used to take Kre alkalyn capsules
I only take the 1.25 g capsules. You pay a little more but I like the convenience. I can carry them anywhere and just pop them with a little water.

Last edited:
I only take the 1.25 g capsules. You pay a little more but I like the convenience. I can carry them anyone and just pop them with a little water.
Do you take kre alkalyn? I havent taken it in 5 years or so. I remember when the bottle was purple with flex wheeler on it. Are the capsules 1.25g? I looked on Amazon and they changed it to a black and blue bottle. I'm assuming it's the same company?

Last edited:
Do you take kre alkalyn? I havent taken it in 5 years or so. I remember when the bottle was purple with flex wheeler on it. Are the capsules 1.25g? I looked on Amazon and they changed it to a black and blue bottle. I'm assuming it's the same company?
I take Opitumum Nutrition ones 1.25 g. Although I got a good deal on a bottle of Magnum caps. They're only 750 mg though.

My 2 cents on this thread:

1. BCAAs are a scam. They are pretty much fucking useless, yet I've seen people recommending them on this site (not just here). It really only has one possible use and that is taking it while in a caloric deficit aka cut. If you aren't restricting weight or cutting weight then you can simply eat protein in any form to get the aminos.

2. Creatine should not affect sleep.

3. If anything Creatine could make you thirsty and dehydrated like someone mentinoed, I've had that personally happen during sleep. Noticeable when taking it late at night especially.

Back