JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
budd.jpg
BY PATRICK AUGER
JUL 4, 2019

Dazn is the exclusive streaming partner of Bellator MMA. You can sign up here and live stream 100+ fight nights a year.

When Julia Budd steps into the cage at Bellator 224 on July 12 in Thackerville, Oklahoma, it will mark her third defense of the Bellator MMA women’s featherweight championship. She captured the inaugural title in March 2017 and finds herself on a 10-fight winning streak, with her only career defeats having come to Amanda Nunes and Ronda Rousey.

Budd wants to move another step closer to being considered the sport’s top competitor at 145 pounds, as she takes on undefeated prospect Olga Rubin. It seems fitting that the fight takes place in the city where she won the featherweight title and retained it on two subsequent occasions.

“I’ve been there so many times that I’m very comfortable there,” Budd said. “I’m excited about the fans there. I’ve got a fanbase there that’s been coming to all my fights. I’m excited about seeing them and getting in there and having another awesome experience in the cage.”

It will be Budd’s first appearance since she signed a new four-fight deal with Bellator earlier this year. With the recent addition of Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Leslie Smith to the roster, Budd believes the Viacom-backed promotion plans to grown the women’s featherweight division and raise the level of competition for her moving forward.

“They’re planning on building it,” she said. “Having three featherweight fights on this card is huge for me, and I’ve got to do my job now. I’ve got to go in there and make sure I have the best performance of my career, go in there and be super dominant so I get to fight one of the girls that won and had a great performance, as well.”

Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Crown-Jewel-157739#O8ts95zZG4XMmw4m.99

Back