Opinion Crypto Currency Pisses Me Off

DavidsGhost

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A provided break from the usual posts - let us discuss crypto and why it seems pointless.

I briefly worked for a software team that was creating a crypto dapp. What is a dapp?

it’s a distributed app.

What is a distributed app?

Well, after many discussion with a mathematician and a programmer, I can’t tell you what one is, and quite frankly, I don’t think anyone can.

and this gets at my main point of contention about crypto, it’s too damn convoluted and over saturated with junk for it to ever be widely used. As it is now, crypto is essentially a hobby, like model airplanes, that happens to be a form of investing.

Only model airplane types will put in the effort to understand it, and only model airplane types will be attracted to it.

Main point: crypto is it’s own enemy. Too much frenzy, no stability or standardization. Will always be a spectacle instead of a widely used currency.

And it’s also mad annoying.

what’s the average gain on a crypto day trader?

I know some folks got rich, but you can put money in a managed portfolio and never waste time speculating and you’ll likely come out ahead without draining your time and energy.

Also crypto people are insufferable because they speak in jargon. I don’t care. I’d rather sleep.

I didn't like it since it made my new computer expensive. Otherwise I don't care.

It only made the gpu more expensive. Just buy a computer with no gpu. Murder someone with a good gpu. Boom .. . You got a cheap quality computer.

And to TS, crypto will have ubiquitous functions in society in our future.... the hard part is knowing which horses to back. The projects that succeed will be the Apple, Amazon, Facebook of the next 25 years. But there's also thousands of bs projects that literally do nothing.

Last edited:
I don't really buy the crypto is the future hype

But i do hope to make some money out of it

A provided break from the usual posts - let us discuss crypto and why it seems pointless.

I briefly worked for a software team that was creating a crypto dapp. What is a dapp?

it’s a distributed app.

Well, after many discussion with a mathematician and a programmer, I can’t tell you what one is, and quite frankly, I don’t think anyone can.

and this gets at my main point of contention about crypto, it’s too damn convoluted and over saturated with junk for it to ever be widely used. As it is now, crypto is essentially a hobby, like model airplanes, that happens to be a form of investing.

Only model airplane types will put in the effort to understand it, and only model airplane types will be attracted to it.

Main point: crypto is it’s own enemy. Too much frenzy, no stability or standardization. Will always be a spectacle instead of a widely used currency.

I know some folks got rich, but you can put money in a managed portfolio and never waste time speculating and you’ll likely come out ahead without draining your time and energy.

Also crypto people are insufferable because they speak in jargon. I don’t care. I’d rather sleep.

It almost seems like a kind of collectible to me at the most basic level. It has value but only in that you can exchange it for money. My limited understanding makes me think it will continue to be worth heaps but not really get utilised well. With the coming zombie apocalypse we will revert to bottle caps anyway. I am ready.

ee086a39c225a9a1d7cf6ece915c710f4afee4e44097bfb89e96956b087dd6a8_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

it’s a distributed app.

You're right to an extent. I've been in crypto since 2016. There's alot BS and inconsistency in many projects.

I think as time goes by the market will pick its winners a losers, most coins will disappear and it will stabilize. It just needs to go through the process.

I never day traded. I held through all the ups and down only selling a couple of my bitcoins to pay my house off.

Now explain what the US dollar is and how it works

Ex:
The price of this item is $5000 USD or I can accept the exact conversation amount of Bitcoin at the exact moment of transaction.
NOBODY says the price is .15 Bitcoin or I’ll accept whatever dollar amount that happens to be when our transaction occurs.

Worked for a Blockchain company in 2018. Worked very closely with the senior blockchain engineer / CTO.

Everything he told me about crypto has so far come true, despite me doubting him. Ive been taking his advice ever since when it comes to investing and hes been on the money.

he thinks crypto will skyrocket in the event of economic collapse

Last edited:
To me, hearing someone talk positively about bitcoin is like hearing a Trump supporter. Both are just scams to aggrandize someone.

As a Pc gamer its infuriating that the new GPU release cycles are snatched up by bitcoin miners. For another six month pump and dump scheme like 2014.

Isn't the majority of the major coins held by a small number of people? I made a few bucks off it but it seems more like a way to launder money.

Blockchain is the future, crypto is here to stay. Which coin(s) stick around and for what reason/use is what is still up in the air.

You're either on the bus or off the bus.

As for your assertion that speculating is a waste of time, some people just like the thrill of the hunt. Myself included.

Last edited:
and this gets at my main point of contention about crypto, it’s too damn convoluted and over saturated with junk for it to ever be widely used. As it is now, crypto is essentially a hobby, like model airplanes

This is something similar to what stuck in the mud folk said about the internet not too long ago...

For the record I take a percentage of my wages in BTC every month.

Back