Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

How do you think the polish approach differs from Russias? @Dexter, admittedly though I could phrase this better as 'how do different eastern bloc countries boxing compare to each other?'

How do you think the polish approach differs from Russias? @Dexter, admittedly though I could phrase this better as 'how do different eastern bloc countries boxing compare to each other?'

The main differences were on organisational/educational levels, not technical. It was the same as with Cubans - give them tools to approach their own national specifics more closely/in-depth, not "destroy the origins and start from the scratch". Pols, Hungarians, Bulgarians etc. all had solid boxing schools before joining Eastern Bloc, so it was cross-training and give-and-take level co-operation between countries. Big Bro just gave more scientific approach to it, educated the coaches in Soviet Sport Unis, and so on. Taught to be able to self-educate and progress by themselves, not "my way or highway" dictatorship.

@Dexter Do you have any videos or information on how the Kazakh school uses the jab and left hook offensively?

Well, there some old vids from stuff like maybe ol continental euro boxing, still with roots from anglo - french boxing for sport.
CAN334 LASZLO PAPP MIDDLEWEIGHT FIGHT AGAINST MICK LEAHY - YouTube

Gustav "Bubi" Scholz vs. Peter Müller - YouTube

If to compare with more modern ams etc.
I might later post some links to different european fights If I will have time.
I mean am/ pro from 1945-1965 th in europe. Depends also from what will be on YT.
To compare vs soviet approx post 1965th boxing.

Last edited:
Yo I wish I had the patience the read through all 26 pages of this jawn. But I don't. I like this whole thread tho. A lot of good shit that you don't need a gym or special equipment for. I'm just starting to get into boxing. I got a heavy bag at my job that I hit. But these instructional s are fucking awesome bro.

You mean, in combo 1-3 or just as separate punches?
Separately. Any of the Soviet schools would work, but I'm mostly wondering if there are any videos on how to use footwork and timing to land the left hook or jab as entries into combos.

Separately. Any of the Soviet schools would work, but I'm mostly wondering if there are any videos on how to use footwork and timing to land the left hook or jab as entries into combos.

Check this guy's channel. He has tonnes of videos on jab\left hook. Some with eng subs.

etc.

This video is very interesting. I am not qualified to make any comment on it other than that, but it was fun to watch.

Does anyone know why modern cuban boxers dont really fight like Kid Gavilan, Jose Napoles, or Luis Manuel Rodriguez anymore? I dont see to many Cuban fighters that have an all round style like the guys I mentioned anymore just guys who like to box and play it safe.

Does anyone know why modern cuban boxers dont really fight like Kid Gavilan, Jose Napoles, or Luis Manuel Rodriguez anymore? I dont see to many Cuban fighters that have an all round style like the guys I mentioned anymore just guys who like to box and play it safe.

IIRC, we discussed this before - modern day Cuban boxing is a mixture of pre-Castro pro-style + national specifics (good athleticism, smart guys who learn things easy, nation-wide love for dancing) + Soviet teachings in the form of systematisation of everything useful).

IIRC, we discussed this before - modern day Cuban boxing is a mixture of pre-Castro pro-style + national specifics (good athleticism, smart guys who learn things easy, nation-wide love for dancing) + Soviet teachings in the form of systematisation of everything useful).
I'll try and look back for a more detailed read. I would really like to find out more on the pre castro days and how high level boxing developed in Cuba at that time.

Luis Ortiz fights like that, but then again he's from the Gavilan era so it doesn't say much.

I'll try and look back for a more detailed read. I would really like to find out more on the pre castro days and how high level boxing developed in Cuba at that time.

I think pre-Castro Cuban boxing style was heavily influenced by US "styles" and the fact that a lot of Cuban boxers were former plantation workers - thus some specific type of punches they use, similar to machette strikes.

Tbf el feo played it safe thats kinda why he called himself the ugly one
But he was a really good player of the stand in front of you and not get hit guys.

Tbf el feo played it safe thats kinda why he called himself the ugly one
But he was a really good player of the stand in front of you and not get hit guys.
So thats why he's called el feo! I thought it it was because of his looks which never made sense to me.

One of things that annoys me about the current Cuban pro's is that when they play it safe they like to move backwards and counter instead of giving different looks. Most of them seem overly defensive minded and that what I'm trying to find out why there mentality shifted so much compared to the og's.

Back