Current (budget) gloves review

Just found some pictures from when they were brand new:

I asked topboxer about the difference between 14oz and 16oz and he said the latter are for sparring so they're softer than 14oz.... Why the fuck do they do this? Especially without making it clear. How are we supposed to guess what size will have what padding? This really pisses me off about boxing gloves.

Also, he confirmed 16oz are all around bigger. If I could change one thing about boxing it would be this retarded glove sizing system. It usually means big guys will have uncomfortable bag gloves and small guys loose as a goose sparring gloves. Rant over.

Last edited:
Also, he confirmed 16oz are all around bigger. If I could change one thing about boxing it would be this retarded glove sizing system. It usually means big guys will have uncomfortable bag gloves and small guys loose as a goose sparring gloves. Rant over.
It can't be done any other way. The cut/profile of a glove gets larger with bigger weights to accommodate more padding being distributed throughout, and that naturally also means you're going to have a larger hand compartment to go with it.

I asked topboxer about the difference between 14oz and 16oz and he said the latter are for sparring so they're softer than 14oz.... Why the fuck do they do this? Especially without making it clear. How are we supposed to guess what size will have what padding? This really pisses me off about boxing gloves.

I have fairly big hands I would say.....I have 14oz winning and they are fine. If you want bag/pad gloves consider some pro fight gloves they generally come in 10oz and 8oz with 10oz normally being the bigger size. I have 10oz pair and they fit great vs I can hardly fit into any 12oz gloves and not all 14oz gloves and rival 16oz sparing gloves where tight

It can't be done any other way. The cut/profile of a glove gets larger with bigger weights to accommodate more padding being distributed throughout, and that naturally also means you're going to have a larger hand compartment to go with it.
I don't buy that man... I'd like to see sparring and bag/pad gloves in S/M/L. Scrap the ounce system already!!

I have fairly big hands I would say.....I have 14oz winning and they are fine. If you want bag/pad gloves consider some pro fight gloves they generally come in 10oz and 8oz with 10oz normally being the bigger size. I have 10oz pair and they fit great vs I can hardly fit into any 12oz gloves and not all 14oz gloves and rival 16oz sparing gloves where tight
Exactly my point, there's no standard. It's ridiculous!!

I don't buy that man... I'd like to see sparring and bag/pad gloves in S/M/L. Scrap the ounce system already!!

It's not something to buy or not, it's just how it is; the space inside a glove is going to be strongly connected to the weight of the glove.

You can think yourself about it: how do we make the same design of glove with a larger hand compartment without also ending up using more materials/padding and therefore increasing the weight?

I read an article by John Golomb awhile ago, talking about how Everlast made gloves for Liston ahead of one of his fights with Ali. Liston's hands were too big for the 8oz gloves that Everlast produced. The fight gloves had to weigh 8oz. They couldn't just use the same glove design and magically make the hand compartment bigger in it for him without also using more leather and more padding and therefore increasing the weight beyond 8oz. They had to remove some of horsehair inside and change it with a lighter foam to keep the weight down. That was apparently the first time that foam had been used in a professional fight glove.

There are gloves on the market that come with sizes S/M/L/XL etc, they're marketed as bag gloves usually (though not always). The larger sized gloves will weigh more than the smaller sized gloves, even though the manufacturer isn't making them with specific weights in mind. You can sometimes get 10oz fight gloves with a normal and then a L/XL sizing but I rarely see that with 8oz, and to accomplish that there will be slight differences in the design, which would become pronounced and obvious if you tried to have a 16oz glove with significantly different hand size options.

It's not something to buy or not, it's just how it is; the space inside a glove is going to be strongly connected to the weight of the glove.

You can think yourself about it: how do we make the same design of glove with a larger hand compartment without also ending up using more materials/padding and therefore increasing the weight?

I read an article by John Golomb awhile ago, talking about how Everlast made gloves for Liston ahead of one of his fights with Ali. Liston's hands were too big for the 8oz gloves that Everlast produced. The fight gloves had to weigh 8oz. They couldn't just use the same glove design and magically make the hand compartment bigger in it for him without also using more leather and more padding and therefore increasing the weight beyond 8oz. They had to remove some of horsehair inside and change it with a lighter foam to keep the weight down. That was apparently the first time that foam had been used in a professional fight glove.

There are gloves on the market that come with sizes S/M/L/XL etc, they're marketed as bag gloves usually (though not always). The larger sized gloves will weigh more than the smaller sized gloves, even though the manufacturer isn't making them with specific weights in mind. You can sometimes get 10oz fight gloves with a normal and then a L/XL sizing but I rarely see that with 8oz, and to accomplish that there will be slight differences in the design, which would become pronounced and obvious if you tried to have a 16oz glove with significantly different hand size options.

I see your point, but some 16oz gloves have smaller pockets than others so it's just a design issue. The extra padding constitutes most of the extra weight I would think. The 16oz weight is 100% arbitrary anyway. Another thing that makes no sense is a 160lb guy sparring in the same glove as 200lb guy, but that generally happens and is accepted.

Hats off to rival for doing bag gloves with proper sizing and to topboxer for going up to 22lb!!

Getting back to topboxer... He should make it cristal clear he changes the padding style from 14oz-16oz cos that's by no means standard.

Last edited:
Back