Damo Marino's spindly apendages

Mon-Nogi lots of subs
Tue-rolled with Bruno Silva before he fights at 243, got eaten
Wen-wrestling/ take down drills

Basic sub chains
1) back mount with hooks, basic collar to samurai to bow and arrow
2) back mount with hooks, basic collar switching out to arm in triangle to Ezekiel with non choking arm

Mon we do judo type NoGi td when uke comes to your back side standing, keys are to keep your base, have two on one, drop your weight on top of the shoulder of the trapped/ controlled arm, step outside the side leg at a slight angle and put their hip across your thigh.

NoGi seminar on Saturday: hip throw, single with the head inside to double, lift uke using knee, tying up the whizzer and having chin strap control to drag down and two simple drag downs if you have uke’s back standing.
Reiteration of keeping lead leg inside to stay safe, staying close and getting the underhook to help you stand from turtle, using a single stiff frame to assist you to stand from guard, ‘climbing’ ukes limbs to manage the distance and allow you to engage, using two on one collar drag so uke can’t pull guard.

yoga.....

Intense arguments with Mrs about dum shit.
Intense muscle spasms in back.
Visit to dentist.

I have shooting pains up my lower back, haven't been to Jits in almost a week but still commuting via cycle daily.
Haven't done any strength training in a fortnight, just regular yoga.

Pain persists....

Went to jits and did a recap of the Month, bottom side control escapes.

Daryl explained the best way to escape heel hooks in 50/50 is to hand fight and/ or push pull and angle foot through the gap.

Panda showed us an escape he learned from Royler when top man has classic cross face and underhook:
Reach over uke's head collecting their far arm and head by pummeling into your the same side own leg back of knee thumb down.
Use other hand to wedge against uke's far hip.
Rotate under uke keeping pressure on uke's head and arm with own leg and arm, once your through to the other side release leg and secure darc'e.
If uke insists on keeping cross face do a strong upa to come on top, release own leg and switch to top darc'e.

I had a couple of easier rolls...I'm now a target for kneebars...gotta learn somehow. Got to some reasonable positions out of some bad ones switching my hips in ways I haven't previously.

Panda and Daryl explained two rnc finishes.
One was to turn uke's chin into the crook of your bicep, you should be able to finish using minimal pressure through the jaw or face.
The other is to get your position deep and as fast as you can, lean down into uke and scissor your arms like a collar choke but in reverse.

Road home with Chris chatting about all the things....
Felt good for having a couple of weeks off.

Spent some time in Tasmania and more often than not squabbling with the middy
Boy saw me at my worst, not proud dad
Also had some pretty severe bouts of vertigo which I put down to migraine
Such yay

Returned to Jits
Did a bunch of curls-pyramid up and down through a rack of bells
Gave the back a stretch, its also still quite fucked
Panda has been taking it easy on me and pairing me with people I can control or can control themselves

We did a Russian tie to fireman's carry/ toss, it was boggling when contending with it's components but super slick once flow state achieved
We then did takedown/ situational sparring
Then groups of three sparring starting from knees
Then regular rolling

It was a pretty great session and my face belied the jolly's I got from it

Monday Jits we do leg locks:

Be in top half, win hand battle, pinch back of bottom mans neck and pull him into you, grasp bottom mans top hamstring, keep weight down and drop hips forward and in, top leg posts back then steps over bottom mans head, pinch knees and kick heels down....
Option one: sit back and at a 45 degree to bottom man drawing hand down their leg to ankle as you do so, heel hook
Option two: roll through and over to knee bar or toe hold

We do positional passing half, got from half to deep de la riva, got good control of brothers nape to break posture which helped extend their legs away, got room to re pummel to x then single x for the ankle lock.

Bottom man breaks top mans posture with collar tie, bottom man posts on elbow when top man pummels arm into their top leg/ knee shield, bottom man swings bottom leg over top mans pummeled arm and head for triangle.

Bro dislocated his arm...mood to train died.
Bro be ok.
Back at it Wednesday.

Wednesday
Be standing, do duck under to back, sit through grasping uke near side leg, semi invert to ashi garame, finish........
Small class of 6, we do 15 min of stand up rotations
25 mins of sparring so spar with every one
10 mins of free roll

Bike

Monday there's only a few of us, 4 brown belts, three blues and Chris.....the wombat.
I do a quick curl session before class, pyramid the rack of bells with an increase in reps from the previous session.
I drill basic arm bar, hip bump sweep, kimura and triangle chain with Kristian.
Then we do 5050 from bottom half:
Use the knee shield to 'faint', dive under top mans near leg and suck it into you, they'll post from knee shield pressure/ extension, swing your bottom leg out and over their trapped leg, suck yourself into them keeping control of the leg, pass the leg across your body pinching your knees across theirs, turn into it and hunt for sub, if they triangle their legs pummel under their knee and slide your arm back using your elbow as a wedge to open........
We do positional training from 5050 then a round with everyone.

Last edited:
No porrada, 40 odd degrees in Melbourne today

Weighed myself, I'm bang on 78, have been smashing the snacks and salty goodness.
Going to stop drinking alcohol..................

Monday, aggressive cycling-
Curls dropping smaller weight and increasing reps for larger weight-
Next week do four sets of twenty-
Also started bench-

End of the Month so we had a discussion about the Months lesson-
Escape from 5050:
Get up on your hands, wedge your non trapped foot into the crook of attackers elbow, get both hands inside motorcycle grip attackers top arm at the forearm near the elbow, pop their arm at and turn to your dominant side, place your foot top down to the mat under their hip, come up turn out and away driving hips to shuck off the attackers legs, hips must stay tight, get under hook and come to side control.
Positional sparring.
Rounds with easier partners, good buddy who's usually quite passive dominates the leg lock game.
I need to revisit opening and passing closed guard.

Only one session of rolling again this week doing dad stuff
Have a meaty blister on my hand as well so gonna stay off the mats until it callouses
Hitting the burpee session every weekend

Last edited:
I have a hole in my hand which is starting to heal.
My boy hasn't been feeling his jits among other things.
Gonna take the time to spend time with him.
Mrs also has a new job so good to take the week off and help ease the transition.
One of the brothers from absolute mma is running a charity rollathon on Sunday so will take boy to that.
Get a couple of mellow rolls in and have some fun with boy.

Last edited:
Did a burpee protocol on the Saturday and then participated in rollathon, they managed to raise 8 grand in funds.
Had around three hours of mellow rolling, friendly with strangers and hundy bundy with friends.
High thirty degree heat.
Blew out my knee again and then baby sat the boy until mum came and got him, the heat made him really unwell and that was/ is my main concern.
Let coach know I'll be out for a bit, he let me know I finished the year strong.....upper body workouts here I come.

Sunday stopped feeling sorry for myself and took boy to the park
Did 8 sets of 8 Australians then 8 sets of two pull-ups getting boy to do some subtraction
Monday rocked into the last session of the year, beers and pizza
Went through the rack of bells and did 3 sets of 12 of 14 at the top, lot of reps either side
Have been doing some rehab for my knee including box stuff
Hung with the crew, drank loled, good

Resolutions-no smoke, no drink, positive mindset and projection
Consolidate life-reduce pleasure seeking, take pride in the simple things

Have been hitting the pulls, pushes and grip work.
I'll be adjusting reps and sets until I can get 25 pulls, 100 pushes and 100 reps with my gripper in the min amount of sets and time/ rest.
Knee injury is a worry, I've been doing various extensions and calf raises to try and strengthen/ encourage healing.
Two weeks from the initial injury symptoms include minor pain at the MCL, clicking and movement sensations behind the patella and sensations of pins and needles in my upper leg.
I am able to walk normally pain free and have been doing some rehabilitative type movement however I am hoping to make an appointment with a Dr who has some sports injury expertise to assess properly as the pins and needles sensations and clicking in the knee have become more prominent.

I want to return to training next week to do my standard curls and roll light.

My son has been struggling with his training, there was almost a Month period where we would take him to class and despite the encouragement from everyone he'd refuse to participate and would just run off the mat. His mum and I put it down to shyness and the 'fuss' that's been made of the situation by everyone trying to support him has only exacerbated his not wanting to train. Last week he quietly asked me to come on the mat and train with him, he immediately regained his confidence and started having fun. Some of the other kids that he started with have progressed really quickly and its now evident that they've outgrown him and lose patience when training with him.
On one hand I'm really sad for him but as the old saying goes everyone has their journey.....and he's only four.
Now is the opportunity for me to ensure he stays with Jiu Jitsu, that it becomes one of the things he can lean on later in life and that he is surrounded by positive role models. I also need to make sure he gets the support to enable him to stick with it.
Besnek Jiu Jitsu always have parents who are members on the mat assisting training so I'll be moving their permanently to keep an eye on my son.
I'm more than a little gutted to move on from Clifton Hill as the crew have supported me through a really rough time in my life. I hope to be back to pay a visit every now and then.

Sat up early to do pushes and pulls, take boy to Jits and get involved in class.
I have to lead by example for him and be as available as I can while giving him the freedom his spirit needs. What I do now is crucial.

After boy's class is done I do adults class-one round to warm up then we drill worm guard sweeps followed by an hour of KOTH.
Murat Besnek is the head coach, he's rad, used to train with Thiago Stefanutti when prepping for comps, do want his guillotine control.
Thus far squad are very encouraging, I need to play it low and do as a beginner should...show up, be a good partner etc.
Knee is wrecked but not so much that I cant roll at all, doctor on Wednesday, happy birthday to me.

Tuesday I go to comp class:
One warm up roll then we're grouped into weight class, first to points for four intervals, then resisting two men on one takedown, then scarecrow.....good fun, didnt attempt to assert dominance, boys looked after me

Had chat with senior member about comps and the circumstance of matching with the same rank who is at a much higher level, my thoughts are if I do I'll just do my best, after all we roll with people who are better than us in training all the time

Doc was encouraging on Wednesday, hope to avoid surgery, they recommended that if I do get it done I'll be back training conservatively within weeks

Next class is Sat with boy, might also do wrestling Sunday.....will see

Back