Dana not even offering Stipe the backup fight with Pavlovich

This struck me as odd, something the UFC has never done before. Typically they will try to make the last minute replacement and throw the fighter under the bus if they refuse.

Dana claims he didn't want to disrespect Stipe by offering him the fight. This is BS right? Seems like it was purely a business decision. Especially since Stipe seemed open to the idea.

My guess is they didn't want to pay Stipe the contracted salary and realized he would turn down a last minute pay cut. See what happened at UFC 209:

"The UFC tried, even that late in the game, to line Ferguson up with another opponent, Michael Johnson. Ferguson and the UFC couldn't come to terms on a deal though, as Ferguson said that he wasn't willing to take a pay cut for the bout."

Bisping said on his podcast that Dana went to dinner with Stipe after Jones was out but before Pav Vs Aspinall took place. And Dana asked him if he'd face the winner but Stipe said he wasn't interested.

This struck me as odd, something the UFC has never done before. Typically they will try to make the last minute replacement and throw the fighter under the bus if they refuse.

Dana claims he didn't want to disrespect Stipe by offering him the fight. This is BS right? Seems like it was purely a business decision. Especially since Stipe seemed open to the idea.

My guess is they didn't want to pay Stipe the contracted salary and realized he would turn down a last minute pay cut. See what happened at UFC 209:

"The UFC tried, even that late in the game, to line Ferguson up with another opponent, Michael Johnson. Ferguson and the UFC couldn't come to terms on a deal though, as Ferguson said that he wasn't willing to take a pay cut for the bout."
Everything Dana says is bullshit, this is known and fact. I wish he would go away to some unknown island and take his Slap fighting with him.

Why? Stipe has never been a draw.
Exactly, though he's still considered one of (if not the) best heavyweights in UFC history. So, the fight to make is Jon Jones vs. the established name, who is a pretty accomplished former champion, rather than Stipe vs. well... who? I mean, we know who they are, but I don't really care enough to buy a PPV off of their name.

Dana keeping Stipe ripe for Jon.

UFC and Stipe haven't been on the same page for years. Neither one is doing the other any favors.

My only thought on this is,

Danar doesn’t give a shit about disrespecting Stipe, it’s all about money and accommodating JJ failed drug test and masking it as a injury

Stipe isn't champ, so it would be a title eliminator fight. It wouldn't be good for Miocic, because if he lost, that would be the end of his big money fight with Jones. Plus, the belt is on the line with Jones, it wouldn't be with Pavlovich. I'm pretty sure it's the last fight ever for Jones and Miocic, so they might as well wait for the money fight with each other.

Exactly, though he's still considered one of (if not the) best heavyweights in UFC history. So, the fight to make is Jon Jones vs. the established name, who is a pretty accomplished former champion, rather than Stipe vs. well... who? I mean, we know who they are, but I don't really care enough to buy a PPV off of their name.
Jones vs Gane sold very well. Stipe isn't a draw. So what's so special about this matchup that it needs to put the entire heavyweight division in lock? We all know it's an irrelevant fight.

Stop picking on old men.
They are old.
They want to make some bank by fighting each other.
They don't want to fight Pav or Aspinall or whatever.

Also, good life advice: never pick on old men who will live an entire life during which they can obliterate any version of your sorry your ass with no effort. Like, why is an internet weenie crying about legit savages on a fighting forum?

I think the UFC didn’t want Stipe to get his washed block knocked off before the Jones fight.

They obviously knew there was a good chance of him getting KO’d.

He's one of the top HWs, Tom & Sergi are good but haven't beaten many ranked fighters. There's also a chance Stipe beats either, and if he fought and beat either and retired that would make them look far less impressive as the top HW's in the UFC. Stipe's old, but this is MMA and anything can happen. I'm sure Dana pondered Stipe vs Tom or Sergi then thought back to when he fed an older and semi washed up Tito to young contender Bader. That shoulda been a gimmie fight for Bader.

And Stipe, even at his current age and ring rust is probably still much better than the Tito that beat Bader.

Back