Danaher No Gi Takedowns

judoka loca

Training to eventually grapple a bear
@Orange
Reaction score
I have a strong suspicion that the next instructional Danaher is going to drop will be no-gi takedowns. On his Instagram, his uke Placido has already mentioned that they filmed it.

What are y'all's opinions on this? Will you be buying it?

Personally, I'm intrigued -- he's shown little bits and pieces of what his team works on in past instructionals, and recently his team has hit some really cool shit in competition.

He already has that whole foot to floor thing out.

His theory is sound and he's probably a great resource for controlling the opponent on and after the takedown for jiu jitsu rules, but...

He has terrible hips and isn't really the best guy to be demoing the takedowns he's showing.

He already has that whole foot to floor thing out.

His theory is sound and he's probably a great resource for controlling the opponent on and after the takedown for jiu jitsu rules, but...

He has terrible hips and isn't really the best guy to be demoing the takedowns he's showing.

This.

Danaher is a master strategist and will probably have some great insights. But physically he's a trainwreck and part of me thinks this might be a money grab in an area he's out of his depth on.

This is the thread two years back on the "feet to floor" series:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/john-danaher-launches-‘feet-to-floor’-takedown-instructional-series.4128676/

As I did then, I wonder if Danaher can really add anything meaningful to what's available for free from guys like Travis Stevens, who himself is a Danaher BB:

Last edited:
It's good to see that Placido is going places. When Danaher took him under his wing, he was working under the Queensboro Bridge, jerking off punks for fifteen dollars a man.

Honest question: what’s the difference between a no gi TD and plain ol wrestling?

This is a deceptively interesting question because while different TDs work for different games, the best takedown is the one you actually know how to do. And in most no gi rulesets, that usually ends up being something from a more TD oriented ruleset like wrestling (freestyle or folkstyle) or Judo. But all of those TD oriented rulesets award back exposure points and/or pinfalls so uke is much more likely to turtle out of the TD vs. retain guard as they would in no gi.

There's also the issue of amplitude and positioning. Freestyle, GR and Judo award more points for higher amplitude throws that lands uke on their back. But these will generally land with less control and under grappling rulesets, you're better served if you land with control independent of amplitude i.e. low amplitude folkstyle TDs where slams are prohibited, all TDs score 2 points and sustained control is also rewarded.

The problem with the IBJJF ruleset is it discourages training TDs. One or both of you clowns are probably going to pull guard anyway so even if someone wants to get good at TDs, they won't get rewarded for it in competition. I've always thought ADCC rules are more balanced but even there, a guard pull is only penalized 1 point so someone could partially negate your TD advantage there as well.

What I've never understood is why more BJJ guys don't specialize in sacrifice throws. If I was a primo guard player I'd be spamming the shit out of tomoe nage and sumi gaeshi from the feet. You'll either score a TD or end up pulling guard if you botch it.

Last edited:
You mean...wrestling and nogi Judo throws?

Wtf is this some kind of cult?

It's nothing new under the sun. If you're an experienced standing grappler you can make the adjustments for any ruleset.

I have FTF volume 1 and figured I would pick up volume 2 on the Black Friday sale in December. Now we’ll see.

I think FTF 1 was brilliant in achieving its goal of teaching someone a full fledged takedown game in 3-6 months teaching a mixture wrestling and what I call pidgin judo which is really designed to get one’s opponents hands on the floor rather than achieving ippon. Overlying it all is a very deep dive into grip fighting from both RvR and RvL stances. I really couldn’t recommend this more.

Volume 2 is foot sweeps and sacrifice throws (although the collar drag and ude gaeshi are v1).

My guess is a no gi version might have some double and single legs, knee and ankle picks (all of which are in FTF volume 1) but will be heavy on snap downs (see ETS Front Headlocks) various throw/slide by’s to the back and some foot sweeps also designed to get back exposure.

I’m sure it will be great, but I’m a complete Danawhore.

FWIW, a hidden gem on YT is Owen Livesey’s Body Lock Seminar. I imagine his tutorial on Jiu Jitsu X is pure gold.

Edit to add: I’m 59 years old, started BJJ with no wrestling experience 6 years ago. Developing a shot from outside is never going to be a thing for me.

Last edited:
I'd personally love to see a self defense instructional by Danaher.

Me too. It would be very interesting to see his take on common self defense situations especially compared to "combatives" guys

I'll buy it.

I know the argument is always , dont buy this buy from a wrestler or judo guy.

However Danaher is much much better at teachning, IMO, of any any wrestler on an instructional/

As such it has much more value and use for me, Danaher breaks things down and explains why and how moves can and cannot work. He knows how to teach

I'll buy it.

I know the argument is always , dont buy this buy from a wrestler or judo guy.

However Danaher is much much better at teachning, IMO, of any any wrestler on an instructional/

As such it has much more value and use for me, Danaher breaks things down and explains why and how moves can and cannot work. He knows how to teach

Yeah, I've had a bluebelt explain a move that a great blackbelt couldn't teach half as well -- even though he could perform the move 10x better than the blue.

Teaching is its own special skill for sure

Coming soon!

While you were doing warm ups, I studied the blade.

An all new knife fighting instructional series from John Danaher.

You never even remove the knife from its sheath for the entirety of Volume 1: Understanding the Puncture Principle, & A Brief History of the Scabbard

So two-plus hours of FTF volume 1 is devoted to takedowns for self-defense based on Danaher’s experience as a bouncer in the 1990s.

His expressed view is never to go to the ground. Take a guy down hard with amplitude to basically incapacitate him when he hits the ground (if necessary) or in a more controlled way but in a manner that lets your opponent know you’re not to be fucked with.

He likes snatch singles, Tai Otoshi, and arm drags to the back for this.

Back