Dave Meltzer: DAZN is in trouble

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/dazn-bellator-contract-ends-bkfc-deal/

Everyone saw this coming, DAZN is dumping Bellator. They are talking about Bare Knuckle or other combat sports, probably ones that are alot cheaper.
I think DAZN and Bellator is a good fit. The problem is that DAZN instantly overpaid to get Bellator. No way would it be smart for them to continue that contract at those terms. Who did DAZN think they were bidding against to make such an offer in the 1st place.

DAZN might be OK financially but I dont foresee the relationship with Bellator going further than the 3 year contract.
I agree. They overpay for Bellator. It has to do with the rest of programming, I Hope they can keep going

Dazn is trimming fat to make sure they can pay there bills. Either way Bellator wasnt going to stay past the 3 years because its getting kept in house for Viacoms own planned stream service.

Of course Eddie Hearn is going to tell everyone all is fine.

Kind of surprised he even said the part of live sports not going on isn't good for DAZN, most won't have even admitted the obvious.

DAZN in America maybe in trouble but DAZN worldwide will probably be ok.

Kind of funny we are talking about them trimming fat when they literally just started here less than 2 years ago. Only fat they have is what they created. Stupid deal with Bellator for 33+ million a year when no one else is bidding against you. Shit, at least get the rights to air the fight library to help bring in subscribers. Paying Canelo and GGG crazy amounts of money and then have to bust ass behind the scenes to even find a fight for them. Like who is in charge that didn't think that would be problem before ever evening going down that path. Matchroom boxing deal was like 1 billion over 8 years. They more or less live and die on boxing in the US overall so who knows long term what they'll be able to do with it.

Dazn is trimming fat to make sure they can pay there bills. Either way Bellator wasnt going to stay past the 3 years because its getting kept in house for Viacoms own planned stream service.

Viacom has a streaming service planned?

Makes you wonder how many more streaming services the market can even handle. Personally, it seems to be quite flooded.

Agreed, its so saturated and people have to jump around from app to app to get there shows. Think very soon you will see partnerships in the form of Bundles.

Similar to how Disney + ESPN + n Hulu are all together for 12.99

Similar to how Disney + ESPN + n Hulu are all together for 12.99

IMO it should all be under one app also. Having to switch apps all the time that's stupid. Keep it all in one place.

Makes you wonder how many more streaming services the market can even handle. Personally, it seems to be quite flooded.

the recent launch of HBO max was a complete flop if thats any indication of the future.

IMO it should all be under one app also. Having to switch apps all the time that's stupid. Keep it all in one place.

i like having different options, actually. and i generally use prime, hulu, and tubi (of all things) at least once a month. i don't really get the disdain for different apps or whatever, but i generally use a browser for these.

*shrugs*

and i ditched dazn the night they froze out their own fighters (canelo-kovalev), so whatever. but i'm not surprised they'd be doing poorly during covid with little-no sports. that said, i don't know what expenses they really have, either, so... (a sports streaming service should be pretty streamlined and should have incredibly low operating costs, in theory)

First we know us that DANZ is owned and pet project of the only Russian oligarch that no one can touch as has USA & UK citizenship and politicians in his pocket Len Blavatnik just added a few more billions to DANZ just to keep it going strong, so they not going anywhere.

And as for Bellator they are growing and are stable. They do not need each other.

Back