No Spoilers Days Gone (PS/PC)

Valhoven

Mark Daniel Coleman
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I got to hit the hay so this will be an unvarnished OP, admittedly, and I apologise in advance.

standard-edition-days-gone-full-game-ps4-original-imaf9z4e7qbxpaqg.jpeg

Game is Days Gone and it's a PS4-exclusive four years in the making, finally seeing release April of this year. You play as Road Captain Deacon St. John, a sort biker-outlaw turned TST antihero.

Select stills and promotional art – spoilered only for size:

days-gone-ps4-1.original.jpg

large.jpg

Days-Gone-image-2725.jpg

days-gone-e3-screenshots-2018-2-768x432.jpeg

My elevator pitch is it's an open-world Molotov of Sons of Anarchy and Far Cry 5 but change out cultists for the hungry undead and a picogram-pulsating grizzly or two.

While it being a likely head-to-toe derivative work, I was thinking of picking it up but am still on the fence about it. It looks like it could be fun without needing to analyse it too much or take away a point because of its post-apocalyptic familiarity.

You can freely choose upon world encounters to go about it stealth, from afar via sniper rifle, or up-close and personal with a baseball bat or whatnot improvised garden-shed contraption. The howling wolves when fighting woodland seems pretty cool as does the game's dynamic time/weather system, amongst other odds and ends. In addition to surviving freaks and the elements, you work on and upgrade your bike as well as ride around with your honey maybe, lol. Not sure.

Interest or thoughts? I'll throw up some time-stamped gameplay below but no final polish or product is yet viewable, as the studio has made clear. It's now available for pre-order from the PS Store.

Goodnight, guys.

Just going by the vid you posted, the setting and the gameplay looks like it'd get old really quick. Should probably rent it or something first.

Looks appealing but i've seen some horrendous frame rates in gameplay videos.

Just going by the vid you posted, the setting and the gameplay looks like it'd get old really quick. Should probably rent it or something first.
Valid concern and one I share.

I'm not sure what objectives or overarching missions there even are so I'd like to test-drive a final product as well. There might even be rival biker crews to give opposing forces more a face but again, I'm not sure. I assume a perk system or skill tree is a given but I'd like to see how deep speccing into one style of play versus another goes here. It'd be pretty lame if they decided not to flesh that out as it's one of the few areas I could see where it comes into its own. A killer score would go a long way too if monotony becomes a problem.

The lack of hand-holding is what initially drew me in and then so many ways to do any one thing set against open wilderness. Your bike taking centre stage to your survival seemed cool too, especially if play is decentralised without any hub or resistance HQ sort. I'd be down to brave an open road proper.

This is the least excited Ive been for a Sony exclusive in a long time.

Ill probably get it and I hope it over performs but I feel like itll be the first "meh" exclusive Sony have had, imo, since Horizon.

This is the least excited Ive been for a Sony exclusive in a long time.

Ill probably get it and I hope it over performs but I feel like itll be the first "meh" exclusive Sony have had, imo, since Horizon.
I have a similarly high bar for Sony exclusives – a bar they've set and earned themselves, so this is why I fancied staging some talk on the title. I'm still interested and am a very dangerous man when bored and surfing the PS Store. :D Earnestly, the more I looked into the similarly-themed FC New Dawn, the less I was piqued by it and more so this. Don't drop the ball, Sony…not now. The pacing on Deacon's Assassin Creed crouch looks good so I have hope for stealth conditions aplenty.

I have a similarly high bar for Sony exclusives – a bar they've set and earned themselves, so this is why I fancied staging some talk on the title. I'm still interested and am a very dangerous man when bored and surfing the PS Store. :D Earnestly, the more I looked into the similarly-themed FC New Dawn, the less I was piqued by it and more so this. Don't drop the ball, Sony…not now. The pacing on Deacon's Assassin Creed crouch looks good so I have hope for stealth conditions aplenty.
Sony isnt gonna be worried, TLOU 2 is gonna release sometime this year, with Ghosts of T (not even gonna bother spelling it) almost certainly releasing this year. Theyll have death stranding for next year aswell. If this game turns out to be great + PS5 backwards compatibility for PS1-4 is real, great singleplayer exclusives, theyre most certainly gonna mop up xbox for the next gen. Games sells systems - nintendo and sony know this.

Odd to me that this is a Somy exclusive as it looks much more like something Microsoft would do.

Looks pretty pedestrian to me.

I like the premise but the game sort of looks like shit

Haha. DK always keeping it real. Apparently there will be Pro enhancements and there isn't any excuse for ugly games nowadays so I'm not sweating that – yet. Aesthetics, to note, are why the release date has bounced around a couple times over the last year. I take from that they're listening and adjusting accordingly to make as mint as possible.

I've also read you can sort choose which side you want to fight for and the SP campaign is 30+ hours without sides factored in; could be cool, mate. New IP need breathe a bit, IMO, before weighing. Dev has said in the past they were inspired by Mad Max with the bike and its world role here so for roadhog dawgs, keep an open mind on this one.

Last of Us meets Sons of Anarchy?

Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played. Looking forward to part II, but the SJW agenda is gonna really bring it down a peg or ten.

Sony usually always has great exclusives. Horizon Zero Dawn was one of the best games I ever played... So I will give it a shot... although that video didnt do much for me... but dont judge a book by its cover and all of that... I will probably wait to pick it up though, not in the first few months

Last of Us meets Sons of Anarchy?

Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played. Looking forward to part II, but the SJW agenda is gonna really bring it down a peg or ten.
Now explain what you mean by SJW agenda. You mean Ellie being a lesbian. Have you played Left behind? I assume youre one of the ones that havent played the DLC?

I gotta say that I'm pretty excited about this. It looks like it's going to be fun. It's a shame that it's going to come out around the same time as MK because I won't play this game until probably 2020 or 2021.

Now explain what you mean by SJW agenda. You mean Ellie being a lesbian. Have you played Left behind? I assume youre one of the ones that havent played the DLC?

I played the DLC. They can't just have a strong female lead, she has to be a lesbian. They're throwing in a transgender kid who hates white people in the game. It's pretty gross. They're becoming tryhards and it's unbecoming.

They can't just have a strong female lead, she has to be a lesbian.
I played the DLC.
You either played the DLC or havent, because it was made pretty clear in the DLC that Ellie is a lesbian. I guess you cant have a strong & lesbian female lead without seeming like SJW in this day and age.

ND may have a SJW agenda, but it doesnt infect their games unnaturally. I skimmed through that video, there wasnt a single "Chloedine" moment in Uncharted LL, I couldnt care less if they want to push pics showing that on their twitter. Lets separate the art from the artists here. If that transgender kid plays the character authentically like Neil envisions, then I dont care. Having, who I assume, is Ellie's mother being a roided up super woman is not one bit suspect to me. Cant a woman just like lifting heavy shit? (But then again when has she got time to lift, drink & eat a ton of food + protein, and get the dose of testosterone). I can suspend my disbelief there.

BUT damn some of the antagonistic and condescending tone shown by that ND developer is frankly childish. Thats something I cant defend. I can defend Ellie being a lesbian because thats something the character was written to be naturally before but this other bullshit, hell nah.

You either played the DLC or havent

Well, yeah. That goes for 100% of everyone who ever lived. :p

it was made pretty clear in the DLC that Ellie is a lesbian. I guess you cant have a strong & lesbian female lead without seeming like SJW in this day and age.

ND may have a SJW agenda, but it doesnt infect their games unnaturally. I skimmed through that video, there wasnt a single "Chloedine" moment in Uncharted LL, I couldnt care less if they want to push pics showing that on their twitter. Lets separate the art from the artists here. If that transgender kid plays the character authentically like Neil envisions, then I dont care. Having, who I assume, is Ellie's mother being a roided up super woman is not one bit suspect to me. Cant a woman just like lifting heavy shit? (But then again when has she got time to lift, drink & eat a ton of food + protein, and get the dose of testosterone). I can suspend my disbelief there.

BUT damn some of the antagonistic and condescending tone shown by that ND developer is frankly childish. Thats something I cant defend. I can defend Ellie being a lesbian because thats something the character was written to be naturally before but this other bullshit, hell nah.

We can't seem to have a strong female lead in movies or games without making her lesbian or implying she is one. Skip to 3:03 of the video I posted and the creator of The Last of Us says in his own words that he had an agenda. What made The Last of Us so great was the story itself. It didn't have to highlight anyone's sexual preference. It was an incredible story with an in-depth ending. Joel carrying Ellie the same way he carried Sarah. He saw Marlene in the same light as the people who took his daughter and he wouldn't let it happen again. It was ruthless and beautiful. The Last of Us 2's primary focus in advertising for it is Ellie being a lesbian. They brought in an open and publicly racist transgender kid ("I'm not dating white people anymore, straight is not the default sexuality, stop hyping up plain looking white people) as a primary role while attacking actual fans who simply ask why Joel isn't the main playable character. It is an absolute SJW agenda and people are getting sick of it. This is Microsoft's window to get their shit together and make better exclusives for XBox where people don't have to deal with in-your-face liberal nonsense in video games.

The fact that Naughty Dog developers publicly attacked people when they simply asked "Where is Joel? Why can't he be the main character" is proof enough that they are crazy SJWs with an obvious leftist agenda. I'd like to just play a game like the first one where I don't have to worry about political issues being shoved in my face (regardless of which political affiliation) and just play an incredible story.

I was hyped as hell for this game late last year, but man, I’m not impressed with that gameplay video.

Well, yeah. That goes for 100% of everyone who ever lived. :p

We can't seem to have a strong female lead in movies or games without making her lesbian or implying she is one. Skip to 3:03 of the video I posted and the creator of The Last of Us says in his own words that he had an agenda. What made The Last of Us so great was the story itself. It didn't have to highlight anyone's sexual preference. It was an incredible story with an in-depth ending. Joel carrying Ellie the same way he carried Sarah. He saw Marlene in the same light as the people who took his daughter and he wouldn't let it happen again. It was ruthless and beautiful. The Last of Us 2's primary focus in advertising for it is Ellie being a lesbian. They brought in an open and publicly racist transgender kid ("I'm not dating white people anymore, straight is not the default sexuality, stop hyping up plain looking white people) as a primary role while attacking actual fans who simply ask why Joel isn't the main playable character. It is an absolute SJW agenda and people are getting sick of it. This is Microsoft's window to get their shit together and make better exclusives for XBox where people don't have to deal with in-your-face liberal nonsense in video games.

The fact that Naughty Dog developers publicly attacked people when they simply asked "Where is Joel? Why can't he be the main character" is proof enough that they are crazy SJWs with an obvious leftist agenda. I'd like to just play a game like the first one where I don't have to worry about political issues being shoved in my face (regardless of which political affiliation) and just play an incredible story.
Agreed.

I just think that, I dont mind Ellie being a lesbian because she was one in the DLC when she was 13, but focusing on the fact she is a lesbian counterbalanced and gave her motive to do all that brutal shit she did in the gameplay demo (girl obviously died or kidnapped by one of them).

I know the protagonist in the last game was Joel, doesnt mean the next story should not have Ellie as the lead, you cant restrict story tellers.

But clearly these guys have an agenda, so my points may be moot. Its almost funny how aggressive they are at pushing their shit down every ones throats and anyone who disagrees is a bigot or something. But then again the minority screaming, is heard when the majority is quiet.

Back