Deadlift Plateau

BigDeadFreak

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been stuck on 200kg for almost 2 years and whatever I do I can't get past that weight. Every time I get to that point I wreck my back and have to drop down the weights again. I did 190kg yesterday and my lower back is killing me.

Any advice?

Are you doing any other lower chain work?
Rack pulls, bent rows, KB swings, glute raises, RDL, back ext

Everytime you get back to that point? Explain how that goes.

What does your training look like every week?

I've been stuck on 200kg for almost 2 years and whatever I do I can't get past that weight. Every time I get to that point I wreck my back and have to drop down the weights again. I did 190kg yesterday and my lower back is killing me.

Any advice?
Sounds like your form probably sucks. If you're following any competent program you should be at least making marginal gains if you're lifting correctly.

Are you doing any other lower chain work?
Rack pulls, bent rows, KB swings, glute raises, RDL, back ext

Same thoughts.

Are you training DL on a specific day or also on days you do squats? What's hurting specifically? Have you seen a doctor/pt/chiro at all? "Wreck my back" isn't very specific so more info would be needed here. Have you worked with an actual lifting coach who can coach you on form to ensure you aren't doing it wrong?

I don't think there's much point to those excercises in breaking a 200 kg plateau if you are a healthy male.
I'm sure there are all kinds of special circumstances that might warrant them (like when you have some chronic physical debilitation that prevents you from deadlifting too often, or, I dunno, if you are really pressed for time or don't have access to proper deadlifting equipment et cetera).
But in general, If your goal is specifically to deadlift more than 200 kg, you should focus on doing deadlifts. Find the sweet spot weightwise where it is heavy enough to suck, but light enough where you can still plug in 5x8 or whatever regularly - try to maximize volume while still staying at a weight heavy enough to matter.
At that level, all other excercises are suboptimal choices that just takes time, energy and mental focus away from what you ought to be doing, which is more deadlifts. They can still have all kinds of other benefits, just not for increasing your deadlift.

At higher levels, say 250kg +, some diversification might be in order. But breaking 200 kg is just about drilling the movement often enough, without injuring yourself. Seems to me most people reach the point where they have to internalize that fact to progress right around the 200 kg-ish mark.

Thanks for the responses.
I train 3 times a week, full body workout, mainly compound exercises. No juice. I deadlift once a week and squat once a week and also do lower chain work. I have a three week cycle of high weights 1-5 reps, medium weights 5-10 reps and then lighter weights 10-15 reps.

I train 3 times a week, full body workout, mainly compound exercises. No juice. I deadlift once a week and squat once a week and also do lower chain work. I have a three week cycle of high weights 1-5 reps, medium weights 5-10 reps and then lighter weights 10-15 reps.

Get access to blocks or use a rack and do the following, Make sure the blocks or rack is at mid shin, the knee is way too high

week 1 75% 3x5 reps
Week 2 80% 3x4
Week 3 85% 3x3
Week 4 90% 3x2

After you pull from the blocks/rack do a few speed pulls from the floor, usually 50-70% for a few sets of 3
After 4 weeks just add 2.5kg to your projected max and go again

The above is a basic program, but it definitely works and you will go way past 200kg in no time
Deadlift is all about speed and good technique

Write the whole thing out.
Doesn't sound like a good program for improving your deadlift numbers.

@BigDeadFreak

If you're doing sets of 10-15 and that is your only deadlift workout in a week, you're probably not going to see much happen with your 1RM. If one of your main goals is to eclipse that 200kg mark, you can prioritize deadlift a little more and hit that easily, if your current max is 190. Find one of the many free beginner/intermediate programs out there and run it for the (usual) 8-12 weeks and hit that 200. We're right about 12 weeks away from the New Year so you can get to work now and reach your goal this year.

You likely aren't at a good enough bodyweight to break past the 400 pound plateau. Likely a diet question rather than programming. Sets of 10-15 is fine depending on the context.

Not even orange juice?

<EdgyBrah>

You likely aren't at a good enough bodyweight to break past the 400 pound plateau. Likely a diet question rather than programming. Sets of 10-15 is fine depending on the context.
I just watched a 100lb chick pull 402, hopefully this guy weighs more than that. Who's talking about 400? He said 200kgs, that's 10% more weight than 400. Sets of 10-15 is absolutely not how someone should be programming their deadlift training, especially if they only pull once a week and their goal is to increase their 1RM.

I just watched a 100lb chick pull 402, hopefully this guy weighs more than that. Who's talking about 400? He said 200kgs, that's 10% more weight than 400. Sets of 10-15 is absolutely not how someone should be programming their deadlift training, especially if they only pull once a week and their goal is to increase their 1RM.

False.

Thanks for all the responses, it's certainly given me something to work on.

Just to clarify, I do sets of 10-15 on week 1, sets of 5-10 on week 2 and sets of 1-5 on week 3. I also weigh 100kg so bodyweight isn't much of an issue.

Back