Deadlift Plateau

This shitty lifter named Ed Coan preaches something different and told me something different in person when I was doing deadlifts in front of him.
You paid for an Ed Coan seminar?

I checked the prices, not nearly as high as I thought. Dudes like Wenning and Tate charge out the ass for seminars

It cost me $120 and the group was capped at a low number.

Irrelevant amount of money to spend an entire day training while Ed Coan gives you effect feedback. He's very good at coaching and just a great guy to be around. I don't even train that hard anymore and I still implement some of the shit he suggested to me that day.

I checked the prices, not nearly as high as I thought. Dudes like Wenning and Tate charge out the ass for seminars

The SWIS symposium is fairly priced for the # of speakers that are going to be there.

You can honestly hit 200kg by not even doing deadlifts(especially if you separately train grip or use straps). In fact I am almost tempted to suggest doing more volume of other accessory exercises and then do a small cycle of a few weeks where you hit heavy deadlifts. Good Mornings, Glute Ham, Weighted Hip Thrust/Bridge, Back Extensions, Rows, Weighted Pull Ups etc. I would consider doing heavy squats and then accessory work for the upper/lower back. I always preferred to do deadlifts for 1 rep sets. I certainly wouldn't go beyond 3.

I remember at one point I was stuck at 405 so I only used a back extension machine where I was doing very high reps (upwards of 50) with the stack for multiple sets. When I tried deadlifts again I hit a comfortable 455. Which shows you can literally do anything to hit this weight. If you struggle to push yourself in deadlifts, can you push yourself in another similar exercise without injuring yourself? If you can significantly increase your good morning or back extensions strength, most likely you'll notice an improvement in your deadlifts.

You can also try attacking weak/sticking points and improving technique.

Maybe that's your genetic maximum. Maybe you can't recover more due to life. Maybe your diet can improve. Maybe sleep. 200 kg is a LOT.

How many people in human population can dl 200kg. Maybe 3%, if that.

Is that 3% just women you're talking about?

200kg is certainly an attainable deadlift within 1-2 years if you're a male between the ages of 16 and 50. I'd say most people don't care to lift heavy weights or aren't willing to, not that they can't. Eat enough calories, sleep well, and be consistent and you can easily surpass 200kg with linear progression.

Is that 3% just women you're talking about?

200kg is certainly an attainable deadlift within 1-2 years if you're a male between the ages of 16 and 50. I'd say most people don't care to lift heavy weights or aren't willing to, not that they can't. Eat enough calories, sleep well, and be consistent and you can easily surpass 200kg with linear progression.

It's still how it is. Less then 3% of human population can dl 200kg. Your talking about what could be but isn't.

It's still how it is. Less then 3% of human population can dl 200kg. Your talking about what could be but isn't.

And that 3% number you're pulling out of thin air still doesn't make 200kg a big deadlift.

And that 3% number you're pulling out of thin air still doesn't make 200kg a big deadlift.

Yes it's probably closer to 1%.

Not a big deadlift for powerlifting
standards. Powerlifting and deadlifts aren't very popular. Barely anyone deadlifts hard. There's def a comunity for it. It's just not that common.

Asking how many people could deadlift 200kg is a bit like asking how many people in US weigh a healthy weight and then concluding that the odds are against you to be a reasonable bodyweight (It's almost impossible not to be obese in US!).

200 kg may be a sizeable weight for untrained people which is probably 90+% of the population however anyone(of average height/weight/etc) who trains reasonably with goal of building gradual strength will achieve it within a couple years.

The OP can and you don’t reach your genetic potential within two years of training.

Whatever you're doing is not providing the proper stimulus and adaptation to get past your plateau and without enough context (details of your training, diet/nutrition, form check vids, etc) advice is limited.

Asking how many people could deadlift 200kg is a bit like asking how many people in US weigh a healthy weight and then concluding that the odds are against you to be a reasonable bodyweight (It's almost impossible not to be obese in US!).

200 kg may be a sizeable weight for untrained people which is probably 90+% of the population however anyone(of average height/weight/etc) who trains reasonably with goal of building gradual strength will achieve it within a couple years.

I didn't say anything about odds. People don't care to DL 200 kg. Also years of gradual strength training. That's rare dedication.

200kg is also high for trained individuals. Unless you mean powerlifters. Isn't sherdog a combat sports gathering. I bet many professional fighters can't DL 200 kg. Floyd Mayweather probably isn't out there deadlifting 200 kg. I think some guys here are very powerlifting and strength oriented.

In any case to each their own. Everyone sets their own goals. I personally got fucked up fingers and can't deadlift at all, I get immediate pain. I bench press and do other exercises that don't include 300 400 pounds hanging on my weak fingers.

Also DL and Squat are the #1 risky exercises for serious injuries. You can lift and move the most weight with those 2 exercises.

I mean kickboxing sparring is also not necessarily safe. Everyone picks their activities.

When I was younger I deadlifted 225, just started doing DLs and ended up barely getting out of bed the next day. Needles to say my form must've been shit.

And yes Squat and DL produce the best results as they are the hardest exercises. How much recovery does a person want to give to DL Squat, do they rather wanna use their energy for other exercises. Well most people are undertained anyways. If you stay injury free deadlifts and squats will produce a lot of muscle increase and power. Actually I can squat squatting is OK got no knee pains.

Do you wanna gain strength and size. Or Cardio, skills ect. Everyone picks their exercises and activities.

Maybe you can DL 450 pounds but gass out in 2 rounds of boxing. Maybe you're lacking Cardio. Or even skill and experience. Maybe you're happy chasing increases in the big 3 lifts. Maybe your goals are esthetic and bodybuilding related. Maybe health.

OK guys good luck with all your exercises.

Back