Dealing with doubt before a fight

Also @KarateStylist what would a great green belt master such as yourself, suggest in such a situation? focus his inner chi and strike him down with a single killing blow, no doubt?
Just waiting for Brah to post his fight video in Jack the Giant Killer.
seriously interested in your response as you thought you could get involved with the conversations of your betters with actually contributing fuck all...who let you out of your play pen anyway, i didn't think you were big enough to climb the fence, and i know your not smart enough to work the latch...
Brah's in guud hands, that's all I have to saaayyy.<Wink>"While I recommend weigh lifting..." HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Just waiting for Brah to post his fight video in Jack the Giant Killer.

Brah's in guud hands, that's all I have to saaayyy.<Wink>
pretty well done with this shit now, come back in a few years when you can actually reach those tim tams at the back of the cupboard.

So I just got an mma fight scheduled in about 8 weeks and I would be lying if I said I wasnt nervous for this upcoming fight.

I don’t really know anything about my opponent but I saw a picture of him and he’s really big for 135. He used to fight at 145, and I’m a small 135’er.

I’m not really afraid of getting hurt but of losing. This is the biggest guy I’ve ever fought by far and I can’t help but feel afraid of losing. (I know I should just worry about performing to the best of my ability).
I’m confident in my skills but overcoming the physicality is a daunting task.

Luckily I have 8 weeks to lift weights and spar bigger training partners and hopefully I become more confident as the fight gets nearer.

What are some things you guys do when feeling doubt as the underdog?

Embrace your differences..

So what if your the smaller guy, use that..

Focus on what that brings to the table during training, youll be faster and you'll be able to out maneuver and scramble quicker then the bigger guy..

Know that he will be stronger then you so dont try and fight fire with fire..meaning in the clinch/grappling exchanges use technique not power to suceed..and dont trade blows (toe to toe) while standing

And above all else train your ass off..nothing beats away doubt like being 100%prepared

remember bj crushing hughes? size isn't everything. if you start thinking about it you have already lost. you will win because your striking is faster and more powerful, your shots more explosive and your grappling slicker. who gives a fuck if he has a few pounds on you.
on a serious note use his size against him, big cuts can lead to diminished cardio and decreased punch resistance.
i highly recommend you work on your straight punching (you have great mobility) and move around and lace him up for the first round. try to force him to reach for his shots and strikes so that it is easier to defend the takedown, and counter him... a lot.
don't look for kicks until you know you have his takedowns covered and he has lost a bit of juice. then open up with the kicks and body shots. if you have done your job right at this point he should be reacting to your strikes allowing for a much easier takedown. WHEN you get him down DON'T WASTE THE OPPORTUNITY. if he is strong enough and has skills you won't be able to hold him down when he's fresh. just make sure your doing damage and try to catch him with knees as he stands.
strike in flurries and if you feel like your gassing or losing position stop striking and reset. it is easier to control the position against someone on the ground by incorporating strikes as it gives them a lot more to worry about. trying to hold them down turns it into pure grappling and puts the ball in their court if they are stronger or superior grapplers.
basically overall, stay mobile, don't circle into his power hand, chop him down to size and most importantly don't fucken' worry. he will be the one that will be worried after walking on to a few strong rights.
Thanks. That honestly sounds like a solid game plan. I think most people in Hawaii tend to have better hands than me but it’s hard to hit a guy constantly moving
if i could make another suggestion? while i encourage strength training to hold your own, i recommend you don't overly focus on it. if he is freakishly strong (i have encountered the type) it will take years to get on his level. thats the equivalent of training too box to beat a boxer. what i do highly recommend is as much wrestling as possible, with the biggest wrestlers that you can find (and still remotely hang with). getting used to manipulating the larger weight in wrestling will help you far more than trying to match strength with him.
i say this because i was always that tall skinny kid that gave away size to everybody and was still the better wrestler (i'm not from a wrestling culture and i know if i faced bigger people that could actually wrestle i would get mopped), but i have usually been able to slam much larger opponents. it's all position and leverage. also DO NOT go into the fight too sore from strength training or drained from cutting too much or a bad cut.
you want to have pep in your step, and zap in your hands, this is were your advantage lies being the smaller fighter. don't give up your advantages trying to meet him head to head. apart from that just you out there and smash the fucka.
Yea I’m doing the bare minimum as far as weight training goes. Just trying to be consistent. I’m actually following this really basic routine from mighty mouses S&C coach
https://www.8weeksout.com/2012/03/14/combat-sports-strength-training/

Embrace your differences..

So what if your the smaller guy, use that..

Focus on what that brings to the table during training, youll be faster and you'll be able to out maneuver and scramble quicker then the bigger guy..

Know that he will be stronger then you so dont try and fight fire with fire..meaning in the clinch/grappling exchanges use technique not power to suceed..and dont trade blows (toe to toe) while standing

And above all else train your ass off..nothing beats away doubt like being 100%prepared
You make a good point about training hard. I think a lot of this doubt was stemming from the fact that I overreached right after my last fight, only took 1 day off and I burned myself out within 2 weeks and did absolutely nothing for like 3-4 days. Lost muscle/flexibility and got fatter at the same time. I have a really hard time balancing not training enough with peaking for a fight. Its something I’m still learning. Anyways did some grappling and I feel much more confident and better. Thanks man

Last edited:
Btw thank you for everyone for the advice and support. It’s just another amateur fight but when the doubt of not being good enough creeps in it can be surprisingly stressful. I’ve never felt anxiety like that in a long time.

Anyways I feel a lot better because I have the power of sherdogs f11 on my side.
Thanks to all, especially the ones telling me to just bang.

Thanks. That honestly sounds like a solid game plan. I think most people in Hawaii tend to have better hands than me but it’s hard to hit a guy constantly moving

Yea I’m doing the bare minimum as far as weight training goes. Just trying to be consistent. I’m actually following this really basic routine from mighty mouses S&C coach
my reply was mostly based on what little i have seen of your fights. also your not knocking people dead with your shots just yet, but don't underestimate your punching. i think you had your last opponent worried with a couple of the straight rights you landed, setting up your takedowns.
when everybody else has more standup experience it can take a while to find your groove, but i think you lack neither power nor potential with you standup.

I've only had 3 fights but they all went better than expected. Just believe in your training. If you trained hard, it will guide you through the fight.

Here's my last fight. It was last weekend and against a scary looking dude.

I've only had 3 fights but they all went better than expected. Just believe in your training. If you trained hard, it will guide you through the fight.

Here's my last fight. It was last weekend and against a scary looking dude.

This was a very interesting contest. Many of these amateur fights posted on media have one or more cans.

You're going Pro, the word is. By MMA convention I'd say you're ready. By pro-standards (my book), No. Why? Your skills are immature. Need more seasoning. Areas for more development:

• Transitions between tactic.
  • Multiple technique.
  • Dealing w aggression (here the bum rush), quite a common failing in MMA competitors.
  • Corner is shouting out instructions which are useless.
Pro MMA fighters suffered mightily from same. Don't be one of them.

So I just got an mma fight scheduled in about 8 weeks and I would be lying if I said I wasnt nervous for this upcoming fight.

I don’t really know anything about my opponent but I saw a picture of him and he’s really big for 135. He used to fight at 145, and I’m a small 135’er.

I’m not really afraid of getting hurt but of losing. This is the biggest guy I’ve ever fought by far and I can’t help but feel afraid of losing. (I know I should just worry about performing to the best of my ability).
I’m confident in my skills but overcoming the physicality is a daunting task.

Luckily I have 8 weeks to lift weights and spar bigger training partners and hopefully I become more confident as the fight gets nearer.

What are some things you guys do when feeling doubt as the underdog?

My first loss was handed to me by a guy that came up in weight to fight me.

is weigh in same day or day before? Either way, hes gonna be more tired from the cut. Its not that big of a difference really. Its natural to have fears and doubts before a fight, and I know its hard, but do not let a single negative thought into your mind, it will plant like a seed and grow. Dont think what if he this and that to me. Think what if I this and that to him. If a negative thought comes to your mind, stop thinking about it, think about something else, do something else, distract yourself, dont allow it into your mind. This is all the mental side of fighting many people overlook, or try to act tough and pretend there is no fear, Cus D'amato was great regarding the mental aspects of fighting, I studied him quite a bit and he has helped me a lot.

this helped me, perhaps it will help you.

PS dont let any fuckers around you plant any negative seeds in your brain either or feed you any negative talk or thoughts. If they do, cut them out of your life.

My first loss was handed to me by a guy that came up in weight to fight me.

is weigh in same day or day before? Either way, hes gonna be more tired from the cut. Its not that big of a difference really. Its natural to have fears and doubts before a fight, and I know its hard, but do not let a single negative thought into your mind, it will plant like a seed and grow. Dont think what if he this and that to me. Think what if I this and that to him. If a negative thought comes to your mind, stop thinking about it, think about something else, do something else, distract yourself, dont allow it into your mind. This is all the mental side of fighting many people overlook, or try to act tough and pretend there is no fear, Cus D'amato was great regarding the mental aspects of fighting, I studied him quite a bit and he has helped me a lot.

this helped me, perhaps it will help you.

PS dont let any fuckers around you plant any negative seeds in your brain either or feed you any negative talk or thoughts. If they do, cut them out of your life.

Thanks for the post man. This really helps me I am taking a fight next month and it’s the first one I’ve had since I was a teenager... I have been really nervous, this helps a lot.

:=)

Banned-PEDs-in-Crossfit-800x420.png

That dudes conditioning book is money.

Made me pretty much a machine

That dudes conditioning book is money.

Made me pretty much a machine
Anything in his book that he doesn’t cover in his articles? Sometimes I follow his 4 weeks plan which involves the various types of interval training

Back