Decathletes crushing Ninja Warrior

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This has got to humble the second life gym rats who fancy themselves world class athletes. Probably the two most important attributes for success in these obstacle courses is grip strength/endurance and upper back strength. Neither of these is much useful at all in the decathlon. They'd be on the bottom of a list of priorities if you drew a list up. These guys just hop off their normal training to go destroy the courses.

Ashton Eaton (former Decathlon World Record holder)
Full Video here

Jahmal Germain (#5 decathlete in Great Britain)

Jeremy Taiwo (placed 11th in the Decathlon at Rio 2016, 3rd from USA) qualified #25 at the Seattle/Tacoma earlier this summer to make the Finals, but I couldn't find a free online video with his run. Dude is 6'4". He first went out on a lark in 2017 without any training, apparently. He blew his Finals with a brainfart on the 2nd obstacle. Will be interesting to see how far he goes if he takes this seriously.

Cool competition, but you see retired gymnasts and rock climbers (or moonlighters of these) stroll out and dominate courses. Not sure where it is headed now that the latter has a formal spot in the Olympics.

Nevertheless, here is the sport's greatest, most accomplished star: Drew Drechsel.

Last edited:
To be fair they’ve had accomplished basketball players and nfl players try it and get eliminated on he first course. That being said it’s a young sport, there’s lots of room for talented athletes to break through without dedicating their lives to the sport

Pro Athletes are more athletic than amateur athletes?

Well paint me shocked.

Reminder the original was won by a fucking fisherman

Rock climbers do really well too. There is a video out there of Magnus Mitbo, a pro Norwegian rock climber, just crushing one of these courses.

Last edited:

Well paint me shocked.
utzTCyo_d.jpg

Nevertheless, they're not amateur, they're technically semi-pro. Think the award stands at $100K. It's like CrossFit. Second tier athletes in a second tier "sport" who delude themselves with a bit too much dogmatic hype.
Rock climbers do really well too. There is a video out there of Magnus Mitbo, a pro Norwegian ricl climber, just crushing one of these courses.
Yes, I brought that up.

Rock climbers do really well too. There is a video out there of Magnus Mitbo, a pro Norwegian rock climber, just crushing one of these courses.

Add to that, the parkour guys (or whatever you want to classify them as) seem to do decently well as well, at least in the early rounds

Add to that, the parkour guys (or whatever you want to classify them as) seem to do decently well as well, at least in the early rounds

A lot of them are former gymnasts and they tend to have ridiculous strength to weight ratio which is crucial.

Non-athletes participating in a non-athletic event.

Nothing to see here TBH.

Well paint me shocked.
It's about how effortlessly they excel at these events that regular contestants struggle and train months (even years) for. Genetics is destiny and most of us have to accept that we are unremarkable.

It’s fun watching this show, which definitely has lead to its success.

Any outlet that promotes physical activity and fitness is awesome....

It’s sure come a long way from from original show in japan. I used to pull for the gas station attendant... lol

It’s fun watching this show, which definitely has lead to its success.

Any outlet that promotes physical activity and fitness is awesome....

It’s sure come a long way from from original show in japan. I used to pull for the gas station attendant... lol
In what way has it changed, only watched the original Japanese version

To be fair they’ve had accomplished basketball players and nfl players try it and get eliminated on he first course. That being said it’s a young sport, there’s lots of room for talented athletes to break through without dedicating their lives to the sport

Genki Sudo tried it and was turrrrible.

Frenchman Kevin Mayer broke the decathlon world record last year...

DnPAPW4XgAoCaFj.jpg

Frenchman Kevin Mayer broke the decathlon world record last year...

DnPAPW4XgAoCaFj.jpg
Very nice. He is a slower but stronger decathlete than Ashton. I'm sure he would shred these Ninja Warrior courses.

Back