DeepHalf Guard Backtake - A Common Mistake

The Akatsuki gi thoe.

Last edited:
man i miss dhg idk anyone who uses it today sadly at least in no gi such a great transitional attack

man i miss dhg idk anyone who uses it today sadly at least in no gi such a great transitional attack

I mean, things like rdlr and x-guard are all playing into that same dynamic, it all just depends on how the opponent is engaging you. Most guys don't engage and keep their distance, so you see the former most commonly, as a first step.

I mean, things like rdlr and x-guard are all playing into that same dynamic, it all just depends on how the opponent is engaging you. Most guys don't engage and keep their distance, so you see the former most commonly, as a first step.

A lot of people pressure pass.

A lot of people pressure pass.

I agree, but im aware that around flikr's gym/neck of the woods more guys standing passing is the flavor of the month, which he has harangued about in other posts.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on deep half in nogi?

I basically never do it and use a reverse de la riva hook to try to take the back instead because it feels like it's way less secure without gi grips. This may be an off topic question.

What are your thoughts on deep half in nogi?

I basically never do it and use a reverse de la riva hook to try to take the back instead because it feels like it's way less secure without gi grips. This may be an off topic question.

was actually talking about this the other day in class with a purple belt of mine who really likes deep half. We both kind of agreed it's good, but it's not for hanging out in. That trailing arm is way too exposed without a gi to grip

was actually talking about this the other day in class with a purple belt of mine who really likes deep half. We both kind of agreed it's good, but it's not for hanging out in. That trailing arm is way too exposed without a gi to grip

Cool, thanks! It's so great having you around here :)

Is this a good technique for someone starting in deep half ??
There is just too much material in youtube and I am flexible and heavy, think it would suit me.

Is this a good technique for someone starting in deep half ??
There is just too much material in youtube and I am flexible and heavy, think it would suit me.

Yeh it's a great starting technique for someone just starting to learn deep half :)

Comments

1 really like the grips, little diff from what I learned

2 The leg extension to get the position looks a lot like what Kesting shows in his deep half seminar, many twist their hips instead, glad to see it’s legit as I have trouble getting that part sometime.

Great vid

The need for this particular hook is something I had discovered only recently. Knowing how important it is, is there a reason to have the hooks switched?

I only use deep half to get out of trouble and I'm never tight enough with that trailing arm. The most advance guys will always catch me with a kimura or a rear triangle.

Love the grips, this will patch some hole in my game. I will need to force deep half more for a while to get tighter in that part of my game

Back