Demetrious Johnson vs elite kickboxers

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Does anyone think that a prime Mighty Mouse would be able to hang in there with elite kickboxers like Nong-O, Rodtang, Tenshin Nasukawa? In ONE kickboxing.

You mean MMA striking, and not just MMA in general where DJ would shoot and maul. I'd say that's a fair take.
What in "MMA Striking" is there that DJ employs that isn't already present in Muay Thai?

What in "MMA Striking" is there that DJ employs that isn't already present in Muay Thai?

Mostly gloves and ring. I guess it'd be almost identical to One MT since nowadays they do it in a cage and small gloves and everything.

In this scenario, I think DJ would be really strong in the clinch and should be able to land a lot of takedowns. Otherwise he's at an disadvantage

Mostly gloves and ring. I guess it'd be almost identical to One MT since nowadays they do it in a cage and small gloves and everything.

In this scenario, I think DJ would be really strong in the clinch and should be able to land a lot of takedowns. Otherwise he's at an disadvantage
But you said MMA striking, why would their be takedowns? Stronger than Thai's in the clinch?

But you said MMA striking, why would their be takedowns? Stronger than Thai's in the clinch?

Well, I assumed we were just going with One MT which is MMA striking + takedowns.

DJ is one of the greatest wrestlers in the history of MMA. I don't see why he wouldn't have an advantage in the clinch

Well, I assumed we were just going with One MT which is MMA striking + takedowns.

DJ is one of the greatest wrestlers in the history of MMA. I don't see why he wouldn't have an advantage in the clinch
Muay Thai allows for specific trips and sweeps, not takedowns. You can't shoot doubles/singles. Same goes for the ONE small gloves variant of rules.

Much of what DJ does in the clinch is basically Muay Thai grappling, to which a Thai would likely have the advantage there, but admittedly less so than they do against Kickboxers obviously.

Muay Thai allows for specific trips and sweeps, not takedowns. You can't shoot doubles/singles. Same goes for the ONE small gloves variant of rules.

I understand that; I still feel that a strong wrestler has excellent upper body control and defense against trips/sweep.

Much of what DJ does in the clinch is basically Muay Thai grappling, to which a Thai would likely have the advantage there, but admittedly less so than they do against Kickboxers obviously.

Fair point. What about just general striking though? DJ is faster than almost any MT fighter but he definitely seems less powerful.

I understand that; I still feel that a strong wrestler has excellent upper body control and defense against trips/sweep.
Not really, the dynamics are different.

Anyway, here is a shootboxing fight in which wrestling and standing submissions are allowed. Toby Imada is an MMA fighter who has won many fights by submission.

Not really, the dynamics are different.

Anyway, here is a shootboxing fight in which wrestling and standing submissions are allowed. Toby Imada is an MMA fighter who has won many fights by submission.

Imada is a submission grappler which is different; oftentimes in MMA fights they'll want to get taken down if they feel that they have an advantage there. Wrestlers also have a lot more sheer strength than similar-weight grapplers.

Interesting fight though. Imada could only get a single takedown and barely threw any kicks or meaningful punches. The gloves clearly benefit strikers even if the rules allow more wrestling than normal.

Buakaw mostly was able to avoid committing to clinches and was able to piece him up with leg and body kicks; he is also physically one of the strongest combat athletes pound for pound and I don't think Imada was ready for that level of athleticism.

However, I don't think Rodtang vs DJ would be a similar fight because DJ is much quicker on his feet than pretty much anyone, and has excellent kickboxing. In the clinch it might be a wash though.

Imada is a submission grappler which is different; oftentimes in MMA fights they'll want to get taken down if they feel that they have an advantage there. Wrestlers also have a lot more sheer strength than similar-weight grapplers.

Interesting fight though. Imada could only get a single takedown and barely threw any kicks or meaningful punches. The gloves clearly benefit strikers even if the rules allow more wrestling than normal.

Buakaw mostly was able to avoid committing to clinches and was able to piece him up with leg and body kicks; I don't think this will be the same thing with DJ since he's a much faster and sneakier fighter who doesn't get caught often.
Anything can happen in a fight, but most, if not all Muay Thai fighters will have superior kicks, knees, elbows, clinching, and sweeps that are allowed within a Muay Thai ruleset. DJ has fast feet and a high fight IQ, but overall he just has less weapons to use and would be an underdog in most fights. If he managed to beat some Muay Thai fighters (it is not impossible) he would probably be an underdog in the re-match as well.

Anything can happen in a fight, but most, if not all Muay Thai fighters will have superior kicks, knees, elbows, clinching, and sweeps that are allowed within a Muay Thai ruleset. DJ has fast feet and a high fight IQ, but overall he just has less weapons to use and would be an underdog in most fights.

Fair take. What about a non-MT kickboxer like Tenshin fighting DJ in MT?

Fair take. What about a non-MT kickboxer like Tenshin fighting DJ in MT?
Are they even the same weight? If they were the same weight I would still favor Tenshin. He has fought in Thailand as a kid, has trained with Thais, and probably has a better understanding of Muay Thai overall.

Tenshin would destroy might mouse in kickboxing.
In mt mighty mouse would have as good a chance against someone like nong-o as nong-o would have against might mouse in mma.
True skill in striking is slipping a puch by a few inches or knowing when you are an inch or two out of range. Not circling on the outside a couple of feet away from somebody.

Tenshin in a Muay Thai fight in Thailand:

Tenshin training at Evolve MMA:

Are they even the same weight? If they were the same weight I would still favor Tenshin. He has fought in Thailand as a kid, has trained with Thais, and probably has a better understanding of Muay Thai overall.

DJ recently fought (and lost) at 135, but he's been a 125 pounder his whole life.

DJ was so successful because of how many tools he had. I really don't want to see him in Muay Thai.

Back