Denied ammo purchase in California

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Tried to buy ammo for the first time since CA passed the idiocy of ammo background checks. Promptly got denied since I moved since I last bought a gun.

So I'm an active duty cop, carrying a gun in the store under my Tshirt but can't buy ammo...

DOJ makes you register on their site or you continue to get denied apparently.

Fuck it Corona Virus can have this state.

I would've thought the law would have had exemptions for active duty officers. Sounds to me like you need to make a trip to a neighboring state and buy some ammo in bulk.

Do the FFLs also charge you to run the background check for ammo purchases?

While this may seem like a controversial argument, I can at least "resp"...er...understand if a place decides to consistently apply a law (however stupid it is) across the board, to include LE. While I am generally against most gun control measures, I like how it can potentially rally LE to the side of law abiding citizens.

Full disclosure: I say this as a Canadian, where many of my colleagues don't have a personal stake in private gun ownership, because the laws simply don't apply to them and they're content to shoot once a year and stay in their little "training bubbles". [/rant]

I don't think you being a cop has any relevance to the situation. Cops and everyday citizens have the same rights when it comes to ammo, so I'm OK with that being applied equally to everybody. But background checks for ammo... people living in California deserve everything they get when they vote for people drafting this kind of legislation.

Tried to buy ammo for the first time since CA passed the idiocy of ammo background checks. Promptly got denied since I moved since I last bought a gun.

So I'm an active duty cop, carrying a gun in the store under my Tshirt but can't buy ammo...

Just apply at MCSO and join a free state.

I don't think you being a cop has any relevance to the situation. Cops and everyday citizens have the same rights when it comes to ammo, so I'm OK with that being applied equally to everybody. But background checks for ammo... people living in California deserve everything they get when they vote for people drafting this kind of legislation.

I agree it should be applied across the board. I read his comment more from an irony standpoint.

I feel bad for the gun owners there. There are roughly 10 million gun owners there and even if every single one is voting against these policies they are only like 25% of the population.

Your State has some of the most idiotic Gun Laws in the Nation. Give it five years you will prob have a kitchen knife database.

I actually agree on that. The absurdity is you can be a cop in full uniform needing to buy ammo and be denied because of the arbitrary bullshit of CA DOJ.

Sadly there are way too many CA agencies with liberal cops who enforce this BS. Not like Virginia.

I would've thought the law would have had exemptions for active duty officers. Sounds to me like you need to make a trip to a neighboring state and buy some ammo in bulk.

Do the FFLs also charge you to run the background check for ammo purchases?
Initial one is 19 bucks if you have to fix your address then an additional dollar per transaction after that

Last edited:

So did you ever get the ammo?

Initial one is 19 bucks if you have to fix your address then an additional dollar per transaction after that
Is that $19 for your first purchase at every individual store or just $19 for your first ammo purchase in general? Is the background check process the same as when buying a gun or is your name and address in the system so it knows if you are approved for the purchase? The whole thing seems kind of screwy.

Do you have to be approved to buy reloading equipment as well?

Is that $19 for your first purchase at every individual store or just $19 for your first ammo purchase in general? Is the background check process the same as when buying a gun or is your name and address in the system so it knows if you are approved for the purchase? The whole thing seems kind of screwy.

Do you have to be approved to buy reloading equipment as well?

As far as I know its 19 bucks for your initial background check through DOJ. I don't believe reloading equipment is background checked but I don't know if components such as cartridges or bullets themselves are background checked.

What the hell would this even deter?

It's so DOJ can track you. Honestly no other reason to require the info they do.

Back