International Department of State oblivious to our foreign policy?

mjfan23

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Using India as an example I want to highlight the hypocrisy on our stances internal and externally.

India is our biggest ally in South Asia and we are relying on them to counter China and help stabilize Afghanistan, yet state department didn’t get the memo and spilled the beans on their human rights violations for the world to see.

Significant human rights issues included: unlawful and arbitrary killings, including extrajudicial killings perpetrated by police; torture and cases of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment by some police and prison officials; arbitrary arrest and detention by government authorities; harsh and life-threatening prison conditions; political prisoners or detainees in certain states; restrictions on freedom of expression and the press, including violence, threats of violence, or unjustified arrests or prosecutions against journalists, use of criminal libel laws to prosecute social media speech, censorship, and site blocking; overly restrictive rules on nongovernmental organizations; restrictions on political participation; widespread corruption at all levels in the government; lack of investigation of and accountability for violence against women; tolerance of violations of religious freedom; crimes involving violence and discrimination targeting members of minority groups including women based on religious affiliation or social status ; and forced and compulsory child labor, as well as bonded labor.
https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/india/

For the more informed sherbros and part time diplomats. Is it common and acceptable to blow the lid off your allies dirty secrets and call them out for their wrongs locally but at the same time to stand by them on the global platforms, arm them and engage in trade with their oppressive regimes them ?

is this something only us in the USofA can get away with it being the superpower or is this something all other countries do too?

Indian extremists regularly lynch Muslims. You don't hear about it but google or HRW has the skinny. This is ignored by lame stream media because it's not their preferred victim.

Indian extremists regularly lynch Muslims. You don't hear about it but google or HRW has the skinny. This is ignored by lame stream media because it's not their preferred victim.
The more I read about it the worse things I uncover but is it cause they are our allies? Or cause of their market size ? I know Twitter and Facebook bend over backwards for them due to them being the biggest possible market.

What is the problem? That we have standards and will call out even our allies?

Do you really think that all human rights abusers are the same? Plus, a large portion of the human rights issues in India is societal and because the government is too weak to do anything.

Using India as an example I want to highlight the hypocrisy on our stances internal and externally.

India is our biggest ally in South Asia and we are relying on them to counter China and help stabilize Afghanistan, yet state department didn’t get the memo and spilled the beans on their human rights violations for the world to see.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/india/

For the more informed sherbros and part time diplomats. Is it common and acceptable to blow the lid off your allies dirty secrets and call them out for their wrongs locally but at the same time to stand by them on the global platforms, arm them and engage in trade with their oppressive regimes them ?

is this something only us in the USofA can get away with it being the superpower or is this something all other countries do too?
International relations and diplomacy are rife with double standards and hypocrisy. Is normal.

What is the problem? That we have standards and will call out even our allies?

Do you really think that all human rights abusers are the same? Plus, a large portion of the human rights issues in India is societal and because the government is too weak to do anything.
We have sanctioned nations for similar

Allies, enemies, and non-friendly allies all get a Human Rights Report written about them each year. I see no problem with this. Heck, under the Obama administration, he asked that State does it for the USA as well.

We don't edit the report based upon who we trade with, who we share military intelligence with, or who we are best friends with. That's a good thing.

I would have a bigger issue if we start treating human rights issues different based upon how friendly our president is with their head if state.

Last edited:
wait the US government is full of hypocrites? :eek: wait until trump hears about this! he’ll save us.

"Is it common and acceptable to blow the lid off your allies dirty secrets and call them out for their wrongs locally but at the same time to stand by them on the global platforms, arm them and engage in trade with their oppressive regimes them ?"

Yes

Back