Did your academy shut down for the holidays?

Connection Rio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
At Connection Rio we are always looking to better our academy and provide our students with the best learning environment possible. Part of that environment is more than the physical location but the hours we are open as well. Via social media I noticed a fair amount of academies shutting down for the holidays and would like to know:

As a general consensus how many of your academies shut down for the holiday season? More importantly, did you feel that a holiday class schedule (if you had one) set your training back or was it a good opportunity for some long overdue rest?

My club shut down the for the holidays. Local open mat stayed strong though.

My academy closed for four days: 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, and 1/1. That is fine with me. I was out of town for a week visiting relatives, and I am an old man so I can always use a few days off. There are a lot of pros at my academy, so maybe they don't like it. But even those guys need a day or two off once in a while.

My academy closed for four days: 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, and 1/1. That is fine with me. I was out of town for a week visiting relatives, and I am an old man so I can always use a few days off. There are a lot of pros at my academy, so maybe they don't like it. But even those guys need a day or two off once in a while.
Thanks for the reply! No open mat in the days your academy was shut down? What academy are you from?

At Connection Rio we are always looking to better our academy and provide our students with the best learning environment possible. Part of that environment is more than the physical location but the hours we are open as well. Via social media I noticed a fair amount of academies shutting down for the holidays and would like to know:

As a general consensus how many of your academies shut down for the holiday season? More importantly, did you feel that a holiday class schedule (if you had one) set your training back or was it a good opportunity for some long overdue rest?
Hahaha. Typical "my academy is better than your academies" post. Hahahaha.

Closed for 2-3 weeks. But there's almost always someone there to train. You just have to organise a training group for yourself and odds are, the facility will be opened.

The facilities are available to be used (and you clean up after yourself) but there won't be any classes.

Actual class schedule was suspended. Basically my instructor has had a 2 week long open mat.

Thanks for the reply! No open mat in the days your academy was shut down? What academy are you from?
No open mat, but there are plenty of other opportunities to train since I am in New York City. In the past I have seen people posting to our school's facebook page about open mats during times when the academy is closed. I train at Marcelo Garcia's academy.

Only Jiu-Jitsu dorks call it academy. I train at a MMA gym. Fuck your jiu-jitsu academies. Hahaha.

Hahaha. Typical "my academy is better than your academies" post. Hahahaha.

Only Jiu-Jitsu dorks call it academy. I train at a MMA gym. Fuck your jiu-jitsu academies. Hahaha.

Who hurt you? Your bitterness is palatable ...

As to the op question few classes were nixed the 24/25 and 31/1 but the gyms been available for open mats so senior students have been doing early morning sessions 6am-7am those days , and we've had decent turnouts so far ...10 on dec24 and 6 early xmas

Nerd boys calls it academy is equivalent to nerd boys calling their shit karate dojo or taekwondork dojang, or whatever the fuck these generic dorks want to call it. It's a gym, studio, etc. Deal with it. Geeks.

People train when they want to train. IE if ou feel like you need to rest or there's a better offer for your time, most just won't show up.

My part of the world, because it's summer, people also head out of town and go to the beach etc. Makes it easier can classes

How did you arrive at that conclusion?
why else would any fucker made a stupid thread like this? It's basically a lowkey way of saying "my gym is better than your gym." Even Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder can see that shit.

I closed it for 2 weeks but I only sublease specific hours.
The week of Xmas and the week of new year.
Tuesday and Wednesday were on public holidays for 2 weeks in a row so it only left Monday night and Tuesday night which were pointless.
Then this week, same thing happened again on new year day and the second of January which are a public holidays.
I rather have people resting and switching off for two weeks then opening for s small group of customer (which are likely to hit the open mats if needed).

Last edited:
Thank you for the
No open mat, but there are plenty of other opportunities to train since I am in New York City. In the past I have seen people posting to our school's facebook page about open mats during times when the academy is closed. I train at Marcelo Garcia's academy.

Thank you for the input.

Great academy! Please tell Paul Dennis Asche says hello.

Who hurt you? Your bitterness is palatable ...

As to the op question few classes were nixed the 24/25 and 31/1 but the gyms been available for open mats so senior students have been doing early morning sessions 6am-7am those days , and we've had decent turnouts so far ...10 on dec24 and 6 early xmas

Thank you for that. Sounds like your academy doesn’t miss many days at all. Great avatar, one of my favorite characters on True Romance!

I closed it for 2 weeks but I only sublease specific hours.
The week of Xmas and the week of new year.
Tuesday and Wednesday were on public holidays for 2 weeks in a row so it only left Monday night and Tuesday night which were pointless.
Then this week, same thing happened again on new year day and the second of January which are a public holidays.
I rather have people resting and switching off for two weeks then opening for s small group of customer (which are likely to hit the open mats if needed).
Thank you for the info! Sounds about like what we had over the holiday season. Happy New Year!

People train when they want to train. IE if ou feel like you need to rest or there's a better offer for your time, most just won't show up.

My part of the world, because it's summer, people also head out of town and go to the beach etc. Makes it easier can classes

Thank you! Makes sense. Are you in Brazil?

Back